Author Topic: Catalan referendum: Police seal off polling stations  (Read 1913 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Catalan referendum: Police seal off polling stations
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:16:21 pm »
Catalan referendum: Police seal off polling stations

Police have sealed off 1,300 of 2,315 schools in Catalonia designated as polling stations for the region's banned independence referendum, Spain's central government says.

The move came as the Spanish authorities stepped up their attempts to stop Sunday's referendum.

Police have now occupied the regional government's telecommunications centre.

Continued at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41452174

Offline Suppressed

Re: Catalan referendum: Police seal off polling stations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »
How dare we let the people express what they want?

Tyrants.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:32:19 pm »
Is Franco alive again?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:46:09 pm »
Is Franco alive again?

It's funny..those exact words went through my mind.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 09:48:52 pm »
Catalan referendum: Activists occupy school ahead of vote
BBC News, Sep 30, 2017,  4 hours ago

More than 160 schools in Catalonia have been occupied by activists trying to keep them open ahead of the region's banned independence referendum, Spain's central government says.

Police visited 1,300 of the 2,315 schools in Catalonia designated as polling stations, finding 163 occupied.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to attempt to vote on Sunday.

Demonstrators also rallied in Barcelona on Saturday evening against the poll, calling instead for unity with Spain.

More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41452174

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »
Catalan referendum: 'Hundreds injured' in clashes

Catalan officials say at least 337 people have been injured in clashes as police try to prevent voting in Catalonia's independence referendum.

The Spanish government has pledged to stop a poll that was declared illegal by the country's constitutional court.

Police officers are preventing people from voting, and seizing ballot papers and boxes at polling stations.

In the regional capital Barcelona, police used batons and fired rubber bullets during pro-referendum protests.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41461032

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 03:42:55 pm »
More than 460 now. Police are brutally attacking the peaceful... check out this video:

https://twitter.com/GissiSim/status/914492843368091648
+++++++++

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 03:59:38 pm »
This entire situation, paints Spain in very bad light. And Catalan in very sympathetic light. (a small portion of the Catalan region dips into France--don't know if they are impacted at all)

Is such a situation in America's future?

US: Another breakaway, for instance "flyover country" leaving, vs. the two coasts claiming they cannot, and going to civil war over it?

The idea of huge, unified nations is relatively rare and short lived. USSR, Rome, etc.

Germany and Italy only became "united" countries in the late 1800s. Previously it was Bavaria, Prussia, Naples, etc.

I'm thinking today, how Albertans feel about the terror attack in Edmonton. Is it a product of Ottowa's foolhardy liberalism?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 04:14:28 pm »
Clashes as riot police crack down on banned Catalan vote
Yahoo News, Oct 1, 2017, AFP

Barcelona (AFP) - Spanish riot police fired rubber bullets and forced their way into activist-held polling stations in Catalonia on Sunday as thousands turned out to vote in an independence referendum banned by Madrid.

At least 91 people were confirmed injured in clashes out of more than 330 who went to hospital, emergency services said, as police cracked down on what the Spanish central government branded a "farce".

The violence further heightened tensions between Madrid and the authorities in Catalonia in the worst political crisis the country has witnessed in decades.

"Spanish democracy faces its greatest challenge," headlined top-selling El Pais daily just hours before police moved in en masse to seal off polling stations and seize ballot boxes, sparking scuffles as they sought to block the vote.

More: https://www.yahoo.com/news/crunch-time-catalonia-holds-independence-vote-043806211.html

Photos at link.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 04:15:55 pm »
+++++++++

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »

"Catalonia comprises most of the territory of the former Principality of Catalonia (with the remainder Roussillon now part of France's Pyrénées-Orientales). It is bordered by France and Andorra to the north, the Mediterranean Sea to the east, and the Spanish autonomous communities of Aragon to the west and Valencia to the south. The official languages are Catalan, Spanish, and the Aranese dialect of Occitan.[8]"

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 04:19:44 pm »
Why doesn't President Rajoy just order another state to raise an army and invade, killing people in their own land til they give up this self-determination thing?

#ItWorkedForLincoln
+++++++++

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »

Miss me yet?

Probably not but they could do worse. And may do worse.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »
+++++++++

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:10 pm »
This entire situation, paints Spain in very bad light. And Catalan in very sympathetic light. (a small portion of the Catalan region dips into France--don't know if they are impacted at all)

Is such a situation in America's future?

US: Another breakaway, for instance "flyover country" leaving, vs. the two coasts claiming they cannot, and going to civil war over it?

The idea of huge, unified nations is relatively rare and short lived. USSR, Rome, etc.

Germany and Italy only became "united" countries in the late 1800s. Previously it was Bavaria, Prussia, Naples, etc.

I'm thinking today, how Albertans feel about the terror attack in Edmonton. Is it a product of Ottowa's foolhardy liberalism?

The situation in Catalonia is chilling. I believe the USA is too large for a centralized federal control. The behemoth money-sucking bureaucracy that operates well outside the Constitution and ignores the Enumerated Powers and the Tenth Amendment along with the "public servants" in Congress that exempt themselves from the misery they legislate for us serfs, have led us to our current situation. Brexit gave me hope that one day Texas will leave the Union.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 04:39:56 pm »
Why doesn't President Rajoy just order another state to raise an army and invade, killing people in their own land til they give up this self-determination thing?

#ItWorkedForLincoln

Unfortunately, it sure did.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »
More than 460 now. Police are brutally attacking the peaceful... check out this video:

https://twitter.com/GissiSim/status/914492843368091648

Did a couple of days of RR in Barcelona back in the 70s. We were warned not to mess with the Spanish police. Don't even try to talk to them. They would walk in pairs goose stepping on patrol. It was quite a sight. And I followed the advice of my CO and did not mess with them.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »
Did a couple of days of RR in Barcelona back in the 70s. We were warned not to mess with the Spanish police. Don't even try to talk to them. They would walk in pairs goose stepping on patrol. It was quite a sight. And I followed the advice of my CO and did not mess with them.

Yes, but Franco was in power then, probably a bit different.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 05:18:54 pm »
The situation in Catalonia is chilling. I believe the USA is too large for a centralized federal control. The behemoth money-sucking bureaucracy that operates well outside the Constitution and ignores the Enumerated Powers and the Tenth Amendment along with the "public servants" in Congress that exempt themselves from the misery they legislate for us serfs, have led us to our current situation. Brexit gave me hope that one day Texas will leave the Union.

Texas is in a unique position to do just that. I won't list everything in our favor but we do have or had until recently our own electrical grid. Back in the day (when we had real leaders) Texas would not let so much as an extension cord cross our borders.

Another thing we have going for us is that Texas became a state via an international treaty. So all Texas has to do (in theory) is nullify the agreement between the sovereign state of Texas and sovereign state of the United States. Bingo we are once again an independent sovereign state.

Of course things never go as planned or expected. But I think we could pull it off. We probably would not get all of our territory back with out a fight and gov would probably want us to pay our part of the national debt. So there would be issues.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »
Yes, but Franco was in power then, probably a bit different.

True, but I'll bet not that much different.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 05:28:23 pm »

Or back to Mexico; with it's present make up which will only increase.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 06:36:08 pm »

#ItWorkedForLincoln

Yeah, keep up that slavery, let's not forget Missouri Bushwhackers raided Kansas years before the Civil War began, killing people in their own land.

http://www.legendsofkansas.com/bushwhackers.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »
Boy, at least, Catalonia is standing up for something moral in independence, unlike the Slave states in the 1860s were standing up for an abomination that took another 100 years to try and straighten out, touche.  Be happy with the direction of the minority majority states by the year, 2040, Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 06:59:37 pm »

FC Barcelona playing in closed stadium with riots outside.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 07:04:48 pm »
Firemen form a human shield to protect voters from police...

So the police attacked them...

https://i.imgur.com/NiJhNca.gifv
+++++++++