Author Topic: Roy Moore: Gladiator  (Read 677 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Roy Moore: Gladiator
« on: October 01, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »
Roy Moore: Gladiator
National Review, Sep 29, 2017, Jonah Goldberg

<snip>

But here’s the thing. Asininity is in the eye of the beholder these days. Which brings me back to Roy Moore. I’m open to correction, but this guy strikes me as nothing more than a bigoted, theocratic, and ignorant buffoon.....

The reality is policy expertise and ideological coherence are not central to Moore’s character. When he asks the director “What’s my motivation?” the answer is not “crafting sound legislation.” It’s “stick it to the hippies, ay-rabs, and queers!”

And this explains something that will undoubtedly be lost on every MSNBC host and New York Times editor. Most of the people who voted for Moore don’t actually agree with him. They find him entertaining.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/g-file/452057/roy-moore-politics-entertainment

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Roy Moore: Gladiator
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »

What is the probability, the left and "moderate center-right" will go all out, and Moore will be defeated?

20%

30%

??
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 05:25:41 pm »
I'm glad Jonah spent a few paragraphs on his dog.

Meanwhile, I'm a bit confused.  Are we rooting for Moore to lose now? 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »

We who?  I'm sure as hell not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:41:25 pm »

I am NOT rooting for him to lose.

I am pointing out that some will view him as too far into the religious right thing, for their preferences. Combining all of the democrat numbers, with a relatively small slice on the "moderate" end of Republican, and Moore could have problems.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 05:48:29 pm »

I am pointing out that some will view him as too far into the religious right thing, for their preferences. Combining all of the democrat numbers, with a relatively small slice on the "moderate" end of Republican, and Moore could have problems.

I'll bet he absolutely DESTROYS the Dem challenger.

RAT Patrol

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 05:56:12 pm »
This just shows the arrogant, bigoted, and dumb side of Jonah Goldberg.  it's why I gave up reading his columns a long time ago. JG thinks Roy Moore is a bigot for nothing more than his demand that the Judicial Branch not overstep its Constitutional authority, his belief that sodomy is not a Constitutional right according to the clear intent of the Framers, and his statement that sharia law is not compatible with the U.S. Constitution.  Roy Moore's positions are classic, historical positions held by all of the key people who were involved in framing our government and laws.  Jonah is the weird dude who is deviating from the United States Constitutional and its original intent.  If he does not like what we were given, there are legitimate and constitutional ways to amend it.  Sneaking in Judicial Amenders to rewrite it according to his liking is not one of them.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:58:51 pm »

I have never been one to base my votes on "who can win."  That's a game too easily slanted by the liberal press.  I want someone who can move the ball in the right direction on the field.

That said, it's not my vote that matters, I don't live in AL.  I have trouble enough here in AZ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 06:03:26 pm »
This just shows the arrogant, bigoted, and dumb side of Jonah Goldberg.  it's why I gave up reading his columns a long time ago. JG thinks Roy Moore is a bigot for nothing more than his demand that the Judicial Branch not overstep its Constitutional authority, his belief that sodomy is not a Constitutional right according to the clear intent of the Framers, and his statement that sharia law is not compatible with the U.S. Constitution.  Roy Moore's positions are classic, historical positions held by all of the key people who were involved in framing our government and laws.  Jonah is the weird dude who is deviating from the United States Constitutional and its original intent.  If he does not like what we were given, there are legitimate and constitutional ways to amend it.  Sneaking in Judicial Amenders to rewrite it according to his liking is not one of them.

Absolutely right in every detail!   888high58888

The swamp fears him greatly BECAUSE of the things you detail and more.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »
I have never been one to base my votes on "who can win."  That's a game too easily slanted by the liberal press.  I want someone who can move the ball in the right direction on the field.

That said, it's not my vote that matters, I don't live in AL.  I have trouble enough here in AZ.

Having become politically aware in 1960, I also remember 1964.

I often remind myself, after reading some forum opinions, of BOTH 1964 AND 1972.

IOW the lessons of political extremes, together with real consequences.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 06:06:18 pm »

I'll bet you are exactly right!  The people of Alabama KNOW Roy Moore!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 06:38:48 pm »
Having become politically aware in 1960, I also remember 1964.

I often remind myself, after reading some forum opinions, of BOTH 1964 AND 1972.

IOW the lessons of political extremes, together with real consequences.

Agreed.  The Magic Question:  What's too extreme?  If we are to believe the liberal media, anybody to the right of Bernie Sanders is pushing our luck.  They're still in shock that Donald Trump won.  They constantly reported he is extreme right wing (he's no social conservative), and was too far out of the mainstream to get elected.  Yet he did.

Believe what the media reports at your own peril.  I've been watching the same politics you have.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 07:31:53 pm »
New York values.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 09:10:34 pm »

If this destruction cannot happen in Alabama, it cannot happen anywhere.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »
Agreed.  The Magic Question:  What's too extreme?  If we are to believe the liberal media, anybody to the right of Bernie Sanders is pushing our luck.  They're still in shock that Donald Trump won.  They constantly reported he is extreme right wing (he's no social conservative), and was too far out of the mainstream to get elected.  Yet he did.

Believe what the media reports at your own peril.  I've been watching the same politics you have.

I just hope Alabamans (is that the term??) don't get complacent. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »

I hope the democrats expend every dime in their treasurary trying to win this seat.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 09:35:33 pm »

I think we're good in that department.  I wouldn't bet against @Bigun on this one.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 09:51:43 pm »
I think we're good in that department.  I wouldn't bet against @Bigun on this one.

Neither would I!

(Happy belated birthday @Bigun )

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 10:09:25 pm »
It's been over 20 years since a Dem has won a Senate seat in Alabama.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 10:13:00 pm »
Neither would I!

(Happy belated birthday @Bigun )

Thanks!   888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien