Author Topic: So, what's in the (wild) card for . . . the Twins?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
So, what's in the (wild) card for . . . the Twins?
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:44:58 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/09/28/so-whats-in-the-wild-card-for-the-twins/

The great baseball trivia questions of the rest of this century will include, “Name the American
League team who clinched the second wild card after trading their closer at the non-waiver
trade deadline the same season. Hint: They’re also the first team to lose 100+ one year and
make the postseason the next.”

Nice to see you again, Minnesota Twins. You who also added veteran starter Jamie Garcia four
days before the same trade deadline, when you were at .500, then got a solid start and a win
out of him, then shipped him to the Yankees and your All-Star closer Brandon Kintzler at the
deadline after losing your next four following Garcia’s W.

You who had almost all of baseball questioning the location of your marble—singular—when
you didn’t move Brian Dozier in the off-season following the hundred losses. They’re still
questioning it now since Dozier at this writing is worth 4.3 wins above a replacement-level
player.

They’re trying to figure out how your marble turned into some kind of crystal ball after
shortstop Jorge Polanco went from being baseball’s worst hitter in July to the seventh-best
player in the game in August.

For that matter, they’re still trying to figure out how you collapsed all around in July and then
shot the lights out in August, the best August in the history of your franchise. As in, nowhere
in Washington or in Minneapolis had you ever had an August like this year’s.

Sure the American League is loaded with so-so teams overall. Even those hale and hearty
Angels who scratched, clawed, dug, crawled, kicked, and shoved their way toward being about
an inch or three from snatching a wild card despite losing Mike Trout for about a third of the
season.

Unfortunately, losing Trout for that third of the season is probably the main reason—aside
from a pitching staff decimated by injuries for a second straight season, and an offense
otherwise that didn’t seem to know the meaning of consistency, Trout or no Trout—that the
Angels are gone for the season.

But this is how things have been for the Twins of late: They could lose to the Indians Wednesday
night but the Angels did them a clinching favour by losing to the White Sox—who’ve been going
nowhere but rebuild land since Opening Day—in the tenth inning, the White Sox walking the
Angels’ faint postseason hopes off when Nicky Delmonico squared up Blake Parker’s splitter
and split the air traveling over the right field fence.

Theoretically, the Twins could have started celebrating their wild card this past weekend. The
Angels met the Astros in an absolutely must-win series and opened with the Astros using Yusmeiro
Petit as a pinata while Justin Verlander, their new toy from Detroit, pitched one-hit baseball for
seven innings and won his fourth straight start in Houston silks. Before they beat the Astros in
the getaway game they’d lost six straight.

The Angels didn’t exactly surrender, but losing that set with the AL West champion Astros just
about put paid to their season. And rang the register big enough for the Twins, who have to wait
for the finish before knowing who they get in the wild card game, with the Yankees and the Red
Sox slugging it out like the not-so-olden days and three games separating them in the American
League East.

The Twins answered their trade deadline woes with a little in-house reinforcement in the head.
From manager Paul Molitor down, they leaned on their veterans to steady the clubhouse—from
mainstay Joe Mauer to this year’s acquisition Bartolo Colon, from ancient relief pitcher Matt Belisle
to aging catchers Jason Castro and Chris Gimenez—and watched their youth like Polanco, Byron
Buxton, and Eddie Rosario flip the afterburners on.

“This is a totally different team,” says Dozier. “Even though it is a lot of the same guys, most of
the same guys, it just feels like 23-, 24-, 25-year-olds, they are not 23 anymore. Even though
it is a year difference, so many guys grew up 10 years. It is a totally different mindset. The
maturity level is off the charts of what it used to be. For us older guys, it made us into better
leaders.”

Some Twins observers think Molitor taking the proverbial bull by the foreshank after Garcia and
Kintzler were moved onward built the afterburner switch. He held a team meeting on behalf of
making sure his men didn’t let surrealities like that get the better of them.

“I said that, ‘People who make those decisions have a job to do, and they are going to make
those decisions in what they feel is in the best interest in our team, both short-term and long-
term. It is not our place to question it’,” the skipper says he told the club.  ‘”Anytime as a player,
when we lose someone or something happens, the best course of action is to look at what you
could’ve done differently to prevent it from happening. Don’t look outward. It is a good time
to take a little inventory’.”

A little inventory. Right now the Twins are feeling stocked to the last cranny above the rafters.

If history has any say, be reminded that once upon a time the Twins went from dead last in their
division one season to World Series winners the next. These Twins might like to think they can
become the first team to go worst-to-Series winners in two different centuries.

Assume the Twins win the wild card game. The best bet for their opponent would be the Yankees,
despite the Yankees finishing their season with one against the Rays tonight and three against
the Blue Jays on the weekend. The Red Sox get to finish with four against the Astros, but so far
the Red Sox have had the upper hand, having won two of three with the Astros in June, a time
when we still thought the Astros were the season’s best team.

That’s where thoughts of the Twins going to and prevailing in a division series at least may dissipate,
considering they’re 2-4 against the Yankees this year, and the Yankees are 18-7 thus far this month.
(The Red Sox are 16-9 thus far this month.) Because they’d face the best team in baseball in a
division series. A team against whom they’ve split the current series so far but have been 7-11 to
date.

A team who clinched the AL Central by way of beating the Royals the same day the Twins couldn’t
beat the Blue Jays.

The odds are stacked against the Twins the way the IDS Center would stack against Mary Richards’s
and Rhoda Morgenstern’s Victorian place on Kenwood Parkway. They might not just make it to the
penultimate champagne, after all, but for now even a  Slurpee might taste good enough to dream.
-----------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks   
@Machiavelli
@Wingnut
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
@DCPatriot
@Jazzhead   
@dfwgator 
@Cyber Liberty 
@TomSea   
@Freya
@Suppressed
@Slip18

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: So, what's in the (wild) card for . . . the Twins?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 01:40:33 am »
It would be a major upset if they defeat the Yankees.

The Twins piled up a lot of wins versus teams like the Angels and so on, but the top tier teams, Cleveland, Yankees, would defeat them.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:38:12 am »
@EasyAce   And I thought I was confused before...

We do have a Trout everything ball!

I don't know what to say, but, "WOW!"

We (D-BACKS) picked up Martinez the day before the midseason trading ended, but he got hit by a ball while batting and was off for three days!  I was thinking to myself, "What a dud." Looked at all of his injuries on MLB.  There were a lot of them.

I am so glad I was oh so wrong!

"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:10 am »
@EasyAce  @Cyber Liberty

Easy, so far 40 posters have read this marvelous missive of yours.  I do hope the Twins get the Wild Card just because of your writing!

Are you (or am I) sure you are not a real writer in your real life?  Huh?

You are so good!  I can feel your anger!  I am laughing not because of your anger, but how you put into words!  Wordsmith is what it is called.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:11:00 am »
@EasyAce  @Cyber Liberty

Easy, so far 40 posters have read this marvelous missive of yours.  I do hope the Twins get the Wild Card just because of your writing!
@Slip18
They got the wild card without my help. ;)

Are you (or am I) sure you are not a real writer in your real life?  Huh?
Busted! The proverbial jig is proverbially up.

I am a writer in real life. I've spent a career following a hitch as an Air Force intelligence analyst
as a regional daily newspaper writer, a regional daily news radio writer and anchor/reporter, a trade
journalist, and an Internet journalist. I now work free-lance as an editor, writer, and blues guitarist/
arranger.

You are so good!  I can feel your anger!
Who's angry? I wasn't angry. ;)

How can anyone be angry over a team finding some way to go from 100+ losses one year to the
postseason the next?

Even if that team may have about as much chance of going all the way to and through the World
Series as I have of scaling the Empire State Building with a bus on my back. ;)

I am laughing not because of your anger, but how you put into words!  Wordsmith is what it is called.
Oops! Exposed again. Permit me to re-introduce myself---I am William Wordsmith. Professional
rhetorical mischief maker. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:14:57 am »
Easy, so far 40 posters have read this marvelous missive of yours.
One or two more words in a certain spot and you'd have revealed yourself to be a highly-functional alliterative. ;)

Yours faithfully,
William Wordsmith
Professional penman of prosaic pontification.
(I should have warned you that I can be a highly-functional alliterate!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:15:26 am by EasyAce »

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:31:51 am »
Going to try unless I get kitty kisses, them all bets are off!

Bloviating 'Backs best baseball buddy becomes badly baffled by budgets burgeoning beyond belief by billionaire bosses believing (foot) ball's bedwetters' beliefs.
 888high58888

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 05:57:40 am »
@EasyAce

I have a little confession to make to you. "Bless me father for I have sinned..."

When I first saw the steak thing in the bottom of where you post (I have absolutely no idea of what that is called nor do I know how to make one for me nor do I know what to put there if I did -- whewww --), I did take a tiny itsy bitsy dislike to the cow and beef reference.  Now mind you I love steak, but there was a time many moons ago, around 1959 when I was nine years old, that my favorite milking cow named Tootsie jumped a barbed wire fence.  Her utters were totally destroyed.  She was butchered by the farmer family I visited every two weeks in the summer for about five years.

I used to do my chores, then somehow hop on her back.  Look up at the sky and dream dreams of a young child.  When I found out about her demise, I never went to the farm again nor did I eat red meat until I turned 21.  Just WTF was I thinking?
 :huh?:

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
Great article (again!), @EasyAce

As a side note, we Braves fans treasured Jaime Garcia's tenure with our team, too. (Participation star for alliteration??)  His grand salami in his last game for us was a beautiful thing.   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 02:29:12 pm »
@EasyAce

I have a little confession to make to you. "Bless me father for I have sinned..."

When I first saw the steak thing in the bottom of where you post (I have absolutely no idea of what that is called nor do I know how to make one for me nor do I know what to put there if I did -- whewww --), I did take a tiny itsy bitsy dislike to the cow and beef reference.  Now mind you I love steak, but there was a time many moons ago, around 1959 when I was nine years old, that my favorite milking cow named Tootsie jumped a barbed wire fence.  Her utters were totally destroyed.  She was butchered by the farmer family I visited every two weeks in the summer for about five years.

I used to do my chores, then somehow hop on her back.  Look up at the sky and dream dreams of a young child.  When I found out about her demise, I never went to the farm again nor did I eat red meat until I turned 21.  Just WTF was I thinking?
 :huh?:
@Slip18
Whatever you were thinking, metaphor probably wasn't part of it when you considered your
favourite cow and her mistreatment.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »
Great article (again!), @EasyAce

As a side note, we Braves fans treasured Jaime Garcia's tenure with our team, too. (Participation star for alliteration??)  His grand salami in his last game for us was a beautiful thing.   :laugh:
@Polly Ticks
This one's for you . . .

If he's on the [trading] block, the price is going up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLaGIvffUH0

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
@Polly Ticks
This one's for you . . .

If he's on the [trading] block, the price is going up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLaGIvffUH0

Yes!  Beautiful!

There may or may not have been a great deal of yelling and screaming at my house, and my husband may or may not have come to check on me and see if everything was ok.
 :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 03:41:21 pm »
Yes!  Beautiful!

There may or may not have been a great deal of yelling and screaming at my house, and my husband may or may not have come to check on me and see if everything was ok.
 :laugh:
@Polly Ticks
Jeez, how did you celebrate that salami . . . downing a full jug of wine? ;)

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 04:02:44 pm »
@Polly Ticks
Jeez, how did you celebrate that salami . . . downing a full jug of wine? ;)

@EasyAce
You say that like it's a bad thing?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »
@EasyAce
You say that like it's a bad thing?
@Polly Ticks
Au contraire, m'lady. :)

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »
@Polly Ticks
Au contraire, m'lady. :)

Ok, good deal then.  I have enough to share!
 888high58888

Offline kidd

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »
The Twins are in the Wild Card game because:

1. The are outstanding on defense
2. The bunch their hits together. They are the Kings of the 5-run inning. This makes every game with the Twins a crap-shoot.
3. They are fast. Byron Buxton is the fastest man in baseball. There's another 7-8 players who are big steal threats.
4. Joe Maurer woke up and is back to being the player he used to be.

Their shortcomings? Pitching, pitching and pitching.
Ervin Santana is very good. Jose Berrios is well-above-average. But that's it. The rest of the pitching staff is poor to horrible.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »
IMO, it's terrible that the WC Playoff is only one game.   Should be best of three.

And their respective LDS' should be Best of Seven.
@DCPatriot
See and raise . . .

* The wild cards should be eliminated. How stupid is it, really, to discover every other
season that the chills and thrills of a pennant race are over who's going to finish . . . in
second place?
* The division winner with the best regular season record should get a round-one bye and
the other two division winners in each league should play a best-of-three division series.
* That winner plus the bye winner should play a best-of-five League Championship Series.
* The World Series stays at a best-of-seven and its primacy is restored, and return to
alternative years of either league's representative having home field advantage.

OH...and ONE more thing.    Hessian pitchers signed AFTER the All Star Break are not eligible for postseason play.   ^-^
I hate to break it to you, but that's been part of the trading deadlines for generations, and not
just involving pitchers. For the longest time the rule has been that players traded after 31
August are not eligible for the postseason if their new teams make the postseason until or
unless the team needs to make an injury substitution.

...and bases should be shorter and spongier....so injuries such as happened to both Bryce Harper and Adam Eaton could be avoided.  :laugh:
I wouldn't make them smaller, but why not go back to the old canvas bags? They were
a little more forgiving and had a lot more give when a runner slid head first into the base.
p.s. you forgot to mention Mike Trout, who fractured his thumb on such a play, missed
almost a third of the season, in an absence that might have helped cost the Angels a
real shot at this postseason.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
I apologize for taking down my post, @EasyAce

Coming back to the category, I realized my thread took your terrific piece (as usual)...off topic.

But, you're too fast for me.   :police:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 07:46:19 pm »
@DCPatriot

I hate to break it to you, but that's been part of the trading deadlines for generations, and not
just involving pitchers. For the longest time the rule has been that players traded after 31
August are not eligible for the postseason if their new teams make the postseason until or
unless the team needs to make an injury substitution.

WTH?    Dint know that!!    :beer:

I wouldn't make them smaller, but why not go back to the old canvas bags? They were
a little more forgiving and had a lot more give when a runner slid head first into the base.
p.s. you forgot to mention Mike Trout, who fractured his thumb on such a play, missed
almost a third of the season, in an absence that might have helped cost the Angels a
real shot at this postseason.

Yeah...didn't mean "smaller", but shorter in height, and a texture that would cushion a leg/foot hitting the bag at any angle.

And yes, forgot about Trout.  (heh-heh)

GO NATS!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:22 pm »
Yeah...didn't mean "smaller", but shorter in height, and a texture that would cushion a leg/foot hitting the bag at any angle.
The old canvas bags were slightly higher than the current pads but still way more safe.
For runners and fielders alike. It was the exception for a player to get one of those old
metal spikes caught on a canvas base.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
WTH?    Dint know that!!    :beer:
The original non-waiver trading deadline in MLB was 23 June, instituted in 1923. It was moved
to 31 July beginning in 1986.

Teams often use the waiver trade deadline month to block prospective trades, usually on behalf
of keeping someone's hot player from ending up on their rivals. Sometimes, though, this backfires,
the classic case being Randy Myers in 1998. The Blue Jays tried to trade Myers to the Braves,
then in the National League West, but the Padres were having none of that when it came to
a pennant race rival.

So the Padres put in a waiver claim on the former All-Star. The Blue Jays were P.O.ed enough to let
Myers go to the Padres . . . who were unaware Myers' shoulder would keep him from pitching again
after 1998, leaving the Padres on the hook for the rest of Myers' contract, which had two more
years to go.

Possible worst non-waiver trade deadline period deal in MLB history: Arguably, Lou Brock for Ernie
Broglio, 1964. The Cubs soured on Brock because they couldn't wrap around the idea of a talented
center fielder who didn't hit for power; Brock had a little power but his real stock in trade was prying
his way on base and committing grand theft to build and produce runs. And thinking they needed
pitching, they had eyes on the Cardinals' Ernie Broglio, who'd won eighteen in 1963 and 21 in
1960. (Arguably, Broglio should have won that year's Cy Young Award, but the Cy Young voters---
that was when the award went to one pitcher across the board---went with Vernon Law, probably
because the Pirates won the pennant while the Cardinals finished third. Broglio was worth 7.2 wins
above a replacement level player to Law's 4.2)

The problem: Earlier that season, the Cubs also acquired veteran pitcher Lew Burdette from the
Cardinals. And when Burdette got a gander at Brock, saw his real potential, and heard the Cubs
were looking to move him for Broglio if they could, Burdette tried to warn them---Broglio's elbow
was already shot, and he'd been taking shots for it, in part because he feared losing his job
if he spoke up about the elbow and had surgery sooner than he finally would. Burdette warned
a couple of Cub coaches, who tried to warn the front office, but nobody listened.

Brock helped the Cardinals win the 1964 pennant and World Series en route another Series ring
and the Hall of Fame. Broglio's arm was dead within two seasons.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 12:20:33 am »

The original non-waiver trading deadline in MLB was 23 June, instituted in 1923. It was moved
to 31 July beginning in 1986.

I swear to God I didn't look it up, but that year jumps out screaming that it had something to do with Davis' Oakland A's.

Teams often use the waiver trade deadline month to block prospective trades, usually on behalf
of keeping someone's hot player from ending up on their rivals. Sometimes, though, this backfires,
the classic case being Randy Myers in 1998. The Blue Jays tried to trade Myers to the Braves,
then in the National League West, but the Padres were having none of that when it came to
a pennant race rival.

So the Padres put in a waiver claim on the former All-Star. The Blue Jays were P.O.ed enough to let
Myers go to the Padres . . . who were unaware Myers' shoulder would keep him from pitching again
after 1998, leaving the Padres on the hook for the rest of Myers' contract, which had two more
years to go.

Possible worst non-waiver trade deadline period deal in MLB history: Arguably, Lou Brock for Ernie
Broglio, 1964. The Cubs soured on Brock because they couldn't wrap around the idea of a talented
center fielder who didn't hit for power; Brock had a little power but his real stock in trade was prying
his way on base and committing grand theft to build and produce runs. And thinking they needed
pitching, they had eyes on the Cardinals' Ernie Broglio, who'd won eighteen in 1963 and 21 in
1960. (Arguably, Broglio should have won that year's Cy Young Award, but the Cy Young voters---
that was when the award went to one pitcher across the board---went with Vernon Law, probably
because the Pirates won the pennant while the Cardinals finished third. Broglio was worth 7.2 wins
above a replacement level player to Law's 4.2)

The problem: Earlier that season, the Cubs also acquired veteran pitcher Lew Burdette from the
Cardinals. And when Burdette got a gander at Brock, saw his real potential, and heard the Cubs
were looking to move him for Broglio if they could, Burdette tried to warn them---Broglio's elbow
was already shot, and he'd been taking shots for it, in part because he feared losing his job
if he spoke up about the elbow and had surgery sooner than he finally would. Burdette warned
a couple of Cub coaches, who tried to warn the front office, but nobody listened.

Brock helped the Cardinals win the 1964 pennant and World Series en route another Series ring
and the Hall of Fame. Broglio's arm was dead within two seasons.

Damn, @EasyAce  ..., sure hope you write all this down somewhere.      :laugh:

Seriously buddy, do some interviews with someone who has a 'radio voice'...on topics of your choosing.   Give them the questions in the order in which you want them to work them into the 'interview'.

Eventually, you'll have an audio book.  You're that talented, 'Mr. Ripley'!    :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 01:40:47 am »
I swear to God I didn't look it up, but that year jumps out screaming that it had something to do with Davis' Oakland A's.
@DCPatriot
I think you meant the Haas A's; they bought the team from Charlie Finley in the early '80s. ;)

Damn, @EasyAce  ..., sure hope you write all this down somewhere.      :laugh:

Seriously buddy, do some interviews with someone who has a 'radio voice'...on topics of your choosing.   Give them the questions in the order in which you want them to work them into the 'interview'.

Eventually, you'll have an audio book.  You're that talented, 'Mr. Ripley'!    :beer:
Hell, I could have a book book! ;)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:52:07 am by EasyAce »