Author Topic: Beyond the daily drama and Twitter battles, Trump begins to alter American life  (Read 502 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Beyond the daily drama and Twitter battles, Trump begins to alter American life
Reuters, Sep 28, 2017, John Whitesides

Over his first nine months, Trump has used an aggressive series of regulatory rollbacks, executive orders and changes in enforcement guidelines to rewrite the rules for industries from energy to airlines, and on issues from campus sexual assault to anti-discrimination protections for transgender students.

.... Trump has made changes that could have far-reaching and lingering consequences for society and the economy. Some have grabbed headlines but many, no less consequential, have gone largely unnoticed amid the daily controversies and Twitter insults that have marked Trump's early months in office.

Read more:  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-effect-rules/beyond-the-daily-drama-and-twitter-battles-trump-begins-to-alter-american-life-idUSKCN1C3261

Offline Concerned

Although I certainly agree with the Reuter’s article that “his administration has been chaotic, and his decision-making impulsive and sometimes whimsical”, I’m not sure that Trump’s policies are pointedly altering “American life” just yet.  Certainly, a repeal and replacement of ObamaCare would be highly impactful to many Americans as would tax reform, but those remain TBD.  I fully support and applaud his deregulation efforts, but I don’t see those as significantly impacting “American life” – I’m sure others will argue to the contrary. 

When I think about my day-to-day “life”, I just don’t see significant changes as a result of the President’s “successes” to date.  It’ll be interesting to see whether his tax policy positively or negatively impacts me.  I have very limited deductions and losing that NJ tax deduction will definitely hurt.  I think the President certainly has an opportunity to significantly impact “American life”, but I think it’s a little premature to celebrate those impacts quite yet.  JMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline endicom

When I think about my day-to-day “life”, I just don’t see significant changes as a result of the President’s “successes” to date.

Any effects will be indirect. If the price of fuel products remain reduced then the effect of a new oil pipeline will not be obvious.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Although I certainly agree with the Reuter’s article that “his administration has been chaotic, and his decision-making impulsive and sometimes whimsical”, I’m not sure that Trump’s policies are pointedly altering “American life” just yet.  Certainly, a repeal and replacement of ObamaCare would be highly impactful to many Americans as would tax reform, but those remain TBD.  I fully support and applaud his deregulation efforts, but I don’t see those as significantly impacting “American life” – I’m sure others will argue to the contrary. 

When I think about my day-to-day “life”, I just don’t see significant changes as a result of the President’s “successes” to date.  It’ll be interesting to see whether his tax policy positively or negatively impacts me.  I have very limited deductions and losing that NJ tax deduction will definitely hurt.  I think the President certainly has an opportunity to significantly impact “American life”, but I think it’s a little premature to celebrate those impacts quite yet.  JMO.

I don't believe the article referred to dramatic, life-changing things but to a LOT of minor, not so noticeable things Trump has done, mostly with executive orders or with cancelling of harmful Obama orders.

Here is one caveat in the article ... there has to be one, right?

"Many business leaders have applauded the moves, aimed at fulfilling Trump’s campaign promise to end policies he says are strangling the economy. But critics say his reductions in environmental and worker protections put corporate profits before public health and safety - in direct contradiction to the populist campaign rhetoric that helped Trump win blue-collar votes."

This is the usual leftist mumbo jumbo expressing concern with public health and safety.  The environmental protections did nothing but harm the economy and what the left cares about public health could safely be put in a thimble.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Concerned

I don't believe the article referred to dramatic, life-changing things but to a LOT of minor, not so noticeable things Trump has done, mostly with executive orders or with cancelling of harmful Obama orders.

Here is one caveat in the article ... there has to be one, right?

"Many business leaders have applauded the moves, aimed at fulfilling Trump’s campaign promise to end policies he says are strangling the economy. But critics say his reductions in environmental and worker protections put corporate profits before public health and safety - in direct contradiction to the populist campaign rhetoric that helped Trump win blue-collar votes."

This is the usual leftist mumbo jumbo expressing concern with public health and safety.  The environmental protections did nothing but harm the economy and what the left cares about public health could safely be put in a thimble.

And the bold above is precisely my point.  Trump hasn't yet implemented too many "life altering" policies that affect wide-ranging Americans....at least IMO.  Will he?  Most probably especially if the Republicans ever get their act together on healthcare and tax polices, but the things to date, and most of the things in the article just aren't "dramatic, life-changing things" (to borrow your words).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
And the bold above is precisely my point.  Trump hasn't yet implemented too many "life altering" policies that affect wide-ranging Americans....at least IMO.  Will he?  Most probably especially if the Republicans ever get their act together on healthcare and tax polices, but the things to date, and most of the things in the article just aren't "dramatic, life-changing things" (to borrow your words).

But these little things add up and I'm glad he's doing them.

I'm just continuing on my goal of praising Trump every time I can.

Because the enemy of my enemy is my friend and Trump is the arch enemy of every liberal media person, Hollywood nut case, overpaid sports star or singer in the world and I love seeing them writhe in hatred.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.