Author Topic: Why the B-2 Stealth Bomber Might Be America's Most Dangerous Weapon  (Read 286 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Kyle Mizokami

The B-2 Spirit is one of three strategic heavy bombers in U.S. Air Force service. Originally conceived to infiltrate the Soviet air-defense network and attack targets with nuclear weapons, over the decades its mission has grown to include conventional precision attack. The B-2 is the most advanced bomber in U.S. service, and the only one of three types that still carries nuclear gravity bombs.

In the late 1970s, the administration of President Jimmy Carter opposed the high-speed B-1A bomber as a waste of government money. Carter had been briefed on the new field of stealth technology and was responsible for the development of the F-117A stealth fighter. Instead of the B-1A, Carter authorized development of the Advanced Technology Bomber, or Stealth Bomber. Little was known about the bomber at the time except that it would incorporate new radar-evading technologies and possibly a dramatically different shape than previous bombers.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/why-the-b-2-stealth-bomber-might-be-americas-most-dangerous-22528
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Why the B-2 Stealth Bomber Might Be America's Most Dangerous Weapon
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:42:26 am »
One problem with the article on the YB49, linked from the one on the B2. I saw one of those in flight out of Andrews AFB when I was a kid in the early 60s. I was born after the last plane was allegedly destroyed in a fire. The exhaust trails were a lot like an F-4, so I doubt it was the prop version. Nothing else looked like that plane except the YB35s which were supposed to have been destroyed, unless it was the YB49A variant, about which the article gave no details at all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis