Author Topic: John McCain, Mike Lee introduce bill to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from Jones Act  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Suppressed
I didnt think this thread was about Trump.  This is a made up issue intend to do nothing but criticize Trump.   The issue is not lack of shipping in PR.   Those that are trying to make this an issue are distracting from the real work of saving lives.  They are causing additional misery, pain, and perhaps even death for the people of PR.

Trump was asked NOT to wave the Jones Act, and then when the Gov of PR asked him to wave it, then he did.   Thats also his job.

If Congress had done his job then perhaps they wouldn't need this law in the first place.   I am curious as to why it exists.   Perhaps it was put in place by the shipping companies?

I've lived through Hurricanes, fortunately I've never been in a place as badly damaged as PR.  Even so the logistics of returning things to normal are tremendous.  Damn anyone who uses it for political gain.

Thank you.  Interesting post.  Trump had already waived the shipping law before McCain weighed in with an unnecessary bill. 

I don't even know why there was ever a shipping law but it had already been waived because of the hurricane.

By the way, don't forget Houston.  Many people there lost their homes.  My son has a house for sale in the Davis Mountain Resort and his realtor reported a lot of inquiries from displaced Houston residents who want to get away from hurricanes permanently.

And who the heck is "Jones?"

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I have evolved to the position that if John McCain supports it, it's a bad idea. 

I need to look at no facts beyond this to arrive at what I regard as a sound decision.

Good idea, but Mike Lee was a part of this Odd Couple.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

The New York Democrat Media Complex is an Enemy Psyops/propaganda agency.   We should be nuke bombing it. (Metaphorically.)   

They are making up every phoney baloney story they can throw at Trump.  Today they were whining about one of the Cabinet secretaries spending $85,000 on travel,   (12 trips I think)  but they didn't say boo to Nancy Pelosi,  and they didn't say squat when Obama flew in Hot Dogs and Pizza from Chicago at a cost of $65,000 for one trip.   

The enemedia need to have their weapons taken away from them and then we need to turn their power against them.

Hey, I'm starting to be a fan of yours @DiogenesLamp.  And how about when the Obama family took separate planes to Hawaii?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

The thread wasn't, and neither was my comment, really.  It was about you, @driftdiver.  I know that you have been a big supporter of Trump, and he's a very strong protectionist and was originally supporting the Jones Act.  The Jones Act is a big protectionist scheme, designed to transfer wealth from the consumer to a business segment, like all protectionist schemes do.

So I was applauding your support for ordinary Americans, who have to pay the burden of such schemes.  I didn't mean to offend.
The bottom line is that the port facilities in Puerto Rico are clogged with containers full of cargo and supplies. It is the ability to distribute those that is the problem.
http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index.ssf/2017/09/puerto_rico_storm_aid_ports.html

https://usnewz.com/2017/09/28/puerto-ricos-aid-trapped-9500-shipping-containers

https://www.wsj.com/articles/puerto-rico-port-reopens-but-relief-distribution-remains-slow-1506446137

Repeal of the Jones Act is not necessary, just a temporary suspension which has enabled fuel to get there more quickly.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

Hey, I'm starting to be a fan of yours @DiogenesLamp.  And how about when the Obama family took separate planes to Hawaii?

Or Obama's Billion dollar trip to India.   The hypocrisy of the New York based Media Weapon is astonishing,  or it would be if they had any integrity.   

The truth is,  it simply does not bother them to express the most outrageous hypocrisy and double standard in how they cover Republicans vs how they cover their Democrats. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —