Author Topic: The health risks of long work weeks. Too much overtime may pose a threat to your heart.  (Read 568 times)

rangerrebew

The health risks of long work weeks
Too much overtime may pose a threat to your heart.
By Alex Kramer, HealthDay   

September 23, 2017

A 40-hour work week may seem normal to some and like a vacation to others.

But a study in the American Journal of Industrial Medicine shows that consistently surpassing this standard can be detrimental to your health.

https://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/the-health-risks-of-long-work-weeks/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The health risks of long work weeks
Too much overtime may pose a threat to your heart.
By Alex Kramer, HealthDay   

September 23, 2017

A 40-hour work week may seem normal to some and like a vacation to others.

But a study in the American Journal of Industrial Medicine shows that consistently surpassing this standard can be detrimental to your health.

https://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/the-health-risks-of-long-work-weeks/
Interesting. In the oil patch, 84 hour weeks were pretty much standard.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

In my job as a legal secretary, I worked a lot of overtime -- 7 days a week especially immediately before and during trial, and often into the wee hours of the morning.  I can't say long hours were THE cause of my eventual cardiac arrest, but they did work hand-in-hand with other bad health habits.  I didn't eat right, not enough sleep, no exercise.  Developed hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes and I was way overweight.  The arrest was bound to happen sooner or later.  The body just can't take that much work. 

To some degree, I admire the slackers of this younger generation.  They don't want to work that hard and many of them don't.  In my day, I didn't really have much choice. There were other secretaries who could have helped, but many of them were married and had children.  Since I was single, it was assumed, unlike the married secretaries, I had no life, so I was always available to work.  And unlike my colleagues, I learned how to do things the other secretaries couldn't or wouldn't learn.  Instead of compelling the others to learn these things, the bosses found it easier to just see good old Applewood and have her do it.  My generation, unlike the present one, wouldn't dare say no to a boss. 

A few days before my heart gave out, I was asked to electronically file a court document because a secretary didn't know how.  I told the secretary, in her boss' presence, that she really should learn how to electronically file herself because someday I might get hit by a bus and then what would she do?  The secretary and her boss just laughed.  I was told later that while I was laid up in the coronary ICU, that same boss wanted to get in touch with me to have me walk his secretary through an electronic filing.  Fortunately,  ICUs don't have patient phones.  Not sure what he and the secretary did, but it wasn't my problem.

We may think we are indispensable and irreplaceable, but trust me -- we aren't.    It's more important to take care of ourselves.  The employer will be around long after we are gone.