Author Topic: Trump, GOP tax plan cuts rates, nearly doubles deduction  (Read 8647 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump, GOP tax plan cuts rates, nearly doubles deduction
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 08:35:39 pm »

That is exactly what it is... massive tax cuts for the wealthy and the middle-finger to lower income Americans.

Democrats have been saying that and now Republicans are making it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I have voted GOP for decades. But this tax cut for the wealthy the GOP falsely calls a tax cut for everyone has made up my mind not to vote GOP in 2018.

I hope you will forgive me for not believing you have voted GOP ever.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
Someone please tell me why we're even considering further cutting taxes when around 40% of Americans are off the tax rolls and we still have this:
http://usdebtclock.org
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 08:45:15 pm »

I hope you will forgive me for not believing you have voted GOP ever.

Whether you believe me or not is not my concern.  But the GOP had better be concerned whether or not  I am a canary in the coal mine.   They have no idea how their obvious and over the top tax cuts for the wealthy while giving the middle-finger to everyone else has angered me, someone  who usually votes straight GOP.  I can guarantee you I am not the only one.

The DEVIL is in the details the GOP is not yet telling you... like the GOP plan to eliminate personal exemptions and the extra senior standard deduction.

Trump said the new GOP standard deduction will be  $12,000 single / $24,000 couple... that is NOT doubling the current 2017 standard deduction of $6350 single / $12,700 couple or the projected 2018 standard deduction, $6500 single / $13,000 couple

Trump did not say whether or not  this arbitrary $12000/$24,000 standard deduction will the adjusted annually for inflation. Maybe it will be like Reagan's 1983 "tax cut" that turned out to be a new tax on Social Security based on an arbitrary $25,000 income that was NOT set up to be adjusted for inflation and is now a burden to all seniors. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:01:22 pm by KingsX »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 08:47:49 pm »

Whether you believe me or not is not my concern.  But the GOP had better be concerned whether or not  I am a canary in the coal mine.   They have no idea how their obvious and over the top tax cuts for the wealthy while giving the middle-finger to everyone else has angered me, someone  who usually votes straight GOP.  I can guarantee you I am not the only one.

The DEVIL is in the details the GOP is not yet telling you... like the GOP plan to eliminate personal exemptions and the extra senior standard deduction.

Trump said the new GOP standard deduction will be  $12,000 single / $24,000 couple... that is NOT doubling the current 2017 standard deduction of $6350 single / $12,700 couple or the projected 2018 standard deduction, $6500 single / $13,000 couple

Trump did not say whether or not  this arbitrary $12000/$24,000 standard deduction will the adjusted annually for inflation. Maybe it will be like Reagan's 1983 "tax cut" that turned out to be a new tax on Medicare based on an arbitrary $25,000 income that was NOT set up to be adjusted for inflation and is now a burden to all seniors.

You have posted that how many times now on several threads.  I think we got it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline KingsX

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »

You have posted that how many times now on several threads. I think we got it.

I doubt that.

But when NEW topics about the GOP's tax cut for the wealthy are posted I may leave similar comments.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:58:01 pm by KingsX »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:58 pm »
You have posted that how many times now on several threads.  I think we got it.

You took the words right off my keyboard @Bigun !!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »

There are solid improvements in the proposed changes. Looks good for it passing the republican congress.

I wish Trump had done tax reforms first rather than starting with the ill-fated health care that turned into a debacle.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 09:39:56 pm »

Whether you believe me or not is not my concern.  But the GOP had better be concerned whether or not  I am a canary in the coal mine.   

And of course it is just a coincidence, you showed up here in time for the tax proposal?

Why here? Why now?

What tax reform plan do you propose?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 09:44:00 pm »
I doubt that.

But when NEW topics about the GOP's tax cut for the wealthy are posted I may leave similar comments.

Maybe you could explain why tax cuts for the wealthy are immoral, and why you should dictate how their earnings are spent.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »

Most taxes are paid by the wealthy, so any meaningful tax cuts must by definition cut taxes for the wealthy.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »
Most taxes are paid by the wealthy, so any meaningful tax cuts must by definition cut taxes for the wealthy.

:thumbsup:

Offline KingsX

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 09:55:12 pm »

And of course it is just a coincidence, you showed up here in time for the tax proposal?

Why here? Why now?

What tax reform plan do you propose?

It was no coincidence I came to this forum to post about the GOP tax cuts.  They have been a major interest of mine for a long time.  I just discovered this forum with several tax cut related topics while searching for tax cut related articles on the internet.   

I have been interested in GOP tax cuts from the beginning when Trump first mentioned his plan during his campaign.   Trump first proposed the single deduction would be $25,000 and the couple deduction would be $50,000.  Wouldn't that have been a GOP godsend for low-income Americans.   But that has since morphed into this current GOP tax cuts for the wealthy abomination. But it appears some here are unhappy that I am unhappy.  That speaks volumes about you, not me.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:57:22 pm by KingsX »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »

It was no coincidence I came to this form to post about the GOP tax cuts.  They have been a major interest of mine for a long time.  I just discovered this forum with several tax cut related topics while searching for tax cut related articles on the internet.   

I have been interested in GOP tax cuts from the beginning when Trump first mentioned his plan during his campaign.   Trump first proposed the single deduction would be $25,000 and the couple deduction would be $50,000.  Wouldn't that have been a GOP godsend for low-income Americans.   But that has since morphed into this current GOP tax cuts for the wealthy abomination. It appears some here are unhappy that I am unhappy.  That speaks volumes about you, not me.

So you simply have envy of the wealthy people that are employers?

Once again, why now? Why here?

My intuition is you are a phony "conservative," come here to disrupt.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 10:09:56 pm »

Lots of posters here are using "strawman" type attack questions.
Again... that speaks volumes about you. You are not giving the
GOP's  tax cuts for the wealthy good PR by attacking other GOP
voters who disagree with the tax plan.  But you may forebode
the fate of the 2018 election.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 10:16:37 pm »
Trump just said the new GOP standard deduction will be  $12,000 single / $24,000 couple...
that is NOT doubling the current 2017 standard deduction of $6350 single / $12,700 couple
or the projected 2018 standard deduction which is $6500 single /  $ 13,000 couple

Trump failed to mention the GOP plan to eliminate personal exemptions and extra senior deduction.

Okay, but is it nearly doubling the current standard deduction, as the headline clearly states?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 10:22:25 pm »

Attacking the members of a Forum <24 hours after you signed up is poor form, old chap.  Don't you think you should know us first?  BTW, Welcome to TBR.  Stop by the Lounge to see a few of us....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline KingsX

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 10:30:34 pm »

Okay, but is it nearly doubling the current standard deduction, as the headline clearly states?

Yes, the headline on this topic does indeed state that.

But if you notice... "doubling the standard deduction"
is being used more often than "almost" doubling  in
news articles and on other topics/posts on this forum.
I merely pointed out the facts.  And it makes me wonder
if the $12,000 / $24,000 figure the GOP pulled out of a
hat will be set up to increase annually with inflation...
THAT is very important.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:42 pm »

Attacking the members of a Forum <24 hours after you signed up is poor form, old chap.  Don't you think you should know us first?  BTW, Welcome to TBR.  Stop by the Lounge to see a few of us....

The straw men in use here never cease.

I have been the one attacked by posters here for disagreeing with the GOP tax plan.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:35:16 pm by KingsX »

Online libertybele

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »

Trump did not say whether or not  this arbitrary $12000/$24,000 standard deduction will the adjusted annually for inflation. Maybe it will be like Reagan's 1983 "tax cut" that turned out to be a new tax on Medicare based on an arbitrary $25,000 income that was NOT set up to be adjusted for inflation and is now a burden to all seniors.

Links please.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 10:44:15 pm »
   @KingsX you are not being attacked or disparaged, we at TBR welcome all Briefers and you won't be censored here.   By the way, Welcome to TBR.

A boy can dream can't he?

Details and Analysis of Senator Ted Cruz’s Tax Plan
October 29, 2015
By Kyle Pomerleau  Michael Schuyler

•Senator Cruz’s (R-TX) tax plan would enact a 10 percent flat tax on individual income and replace the corporate income tax and all payroll taxes with a 16 percent “Business Transfer Tax,” or subtraction method value-added tax. In addition, his plan would repeal a number of complex features of the current tax code.
•Senator Cruz’s plan would cut taxes by $3.6 trillion over the next decade on a static basis. However, the plan would end up reducing tax revenues by $768 billion over the next decade when accounting for economic growth from increases in the supply of labor and capital and the much broader tax base due to the new value-added tax.
•According to the Tax Foundation’s Taxes and Growth Model, the plan would significantly reduce marginal tax rates and the cost of capital, which would lead to a 13.9 percent higher GDP over the long term, provided that the tax cut could be appropriately financed.
•The plan would also lead to a 43.9 percent larger capital stock, 12.2 percent higher wages, and 4.8 million more full-time equivalent jobs.
•On a static basis, the plan would cut taxes by 9.2 percent, on average, for all taxpayers.
•Accounting for economic growth, all taxpayers would see an increase in after-tax income of at least 14 percent at the end of the decade.

<..snip..>

https://taxfoundation.org/details-and-analysis-senator-ted-cruz-s-tax-plan
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2017, 10:48:46 pm »
   @KingsX you are not being attacked or disparaged, we at TBR welcome all Briefers and you won't be censored here.   By the way, Welcome to TBR.

A boy can dream can't he?

Details and Analysis of Senator Ted Cruz’s Tax Plan
October 29, 2015
By Kyle Pomerleau  Michael Schuyler

•Senator Cruz’s (R-TX) tax plan would enact a 10 percent flat tax on individual income and replace the corporate income tax and all payroll taxes with a 16 percent “Business Transfer Tax,” or subtraction method value-added tax. In addition, his plan would repeal a number of complex features of the current tax code.
•Senator Cruz’s plan would cut taxes by $3.6 trillion over the next decade on a static basis. However, the plan would end up reducing tax revenues by $768 billion over the next decade when accounting for economic growth from increases in the supply of labor and capital and the much broader tax base due to the new value-added tax.
•According to the Tax Foundation’s Taxes and Growth Model, the plan would significantly reduce marginal tax rates and the cost of capital, which would lead to a 13.9 percent higher GDP over the long term, provided that the tax cut could be appropriately financed.
•The plan would also lead to a 43.9 percent larger capital stock, 12.2 percent higher wages, and 4.8 million more full-time equivalent jobs.
•On a static basis, the plan would cut taxes by 9.2 percent, on average, for all taxpayers.
•Accounting for economic growth, all taxpayers would see an increase in after-tax income of at least 14 percent at the end of the decade.

<..snip..>

https://taxfoundation.org/details-and-analysis-senator-ted-cruz-s-tax-plan

Such a shame ... and his health care plan would have worked wonderfully.  With any luck we will have the absolute pleasure of one day saying "President Ted Cruz"!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline KingsX

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2017, 11:02:56 pm »

I want to thank the posters here who used "straw men" type attack questions to personally attack me for disagreeing with the GOP's tax cuts for the rich.

Seriously,  I thank you for revealing your brutal honest selves.

Whether you realize it or not, you have given me [and hopefully others] a very valuable education in the type of mentality that is behind these elitist tax cuts.

Thank you ever so much for enlightening me and may you receive what you richly deserve.

Now I have to go find the cake that Trump told me to eat.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:16:49 pm by KingsX »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:55 pm »
Such a shame ... and his health care plan would have worked wonderfully.  With any luck we will have the absolute pleasure of one day saying "President Ted Cruz"!

Ted Cruz’s ideas are good, but I think he lacks national appeal. In my opinion he can best serve conservatives where he is in the senate, or on the court. And like it or not, NBC will always dog him in any national campaign – even among conservatives. Democrats will have a field day.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 11:19:03 pm »

You are not a "GOP voter," if your main interest is envy of the wealthy, immediately after you arrive on a established forum.

Bernie guy? Sent by DNC? Love Hillary?

Offline KingsX

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 11:31:34 pm »

You are not a "GOP voter," if your main interest is envy of the wealthy, immediately after you arrive on a established forum.

Bernie guy? Sent by DNC? Love Hillary?

You still don't get it.

The irony is... I have voted straight GOP for decades...
mostly because I am socially conservative.  But now
that the GOP is abandoning social conservatism and
has embraced an oligarch mentality... I will no longer
vote GOP.   That means I will not vote at all... and
the GOP will lose one vote.  But if the GOP thinks
mine is the only vote they will lose over their elitist
tax cut for the rich, they need to come down from
their ivory towers and embrace reality before they
are thrown down.