Author Topic: Parents divided in opinion after gender neutral teacher sends note home with 5th graders [with UPDATED story]  (Read 713 times)

Offline mountaineer

Parents divided in opinion after gender neutral teacher sends note home with 5th graders
Ryan Dailey, Democrat staff writer
Published 5:41 p.m. ET Sept. 20, 2017 | Updated 6:58 p.m. ET Sept. 21, 2017
Full story at Tallahassee Democrat
A new fifth grade teacher at Canopy Oaks Elementary is asking students to use gender-neutral pronouns in the classroom.

Math and science teacher Chloe Bressack sent the request home in a letter to parents headlined "About Mx. Bressack."

“... my pronouns are 'they, them, their' instead of 'he, his, she, hers.' I know it takes some practice for it to feel natural,” the letter reads, “but students catch on pretty quickly.”

The letter also asks that students use “Mx.," (pronounced 'Mix') when addressing the teacher rather than Mr. or Ms.  ...
Later in the story, there's a quote from the principal, who uses the pronoun "her" in reference to "Mx. Bressack."  Oops!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:28:07 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Offline mountaineer

UPDATE
Gender-neutral teacher being transferred to adult ed after pronoun controversy
Ryan Dailey, Democrat staff writer
 Published 6:11 p.m. ET Sept. 26, 2017 | Updated 10:53 p.m. ET Sept. 26, 2017
The elementary school teacher who made international news after bringing gender neutral pronouns into the classroom will be transferred to another program within the district.

Leon County Schools officials confirmed Tuesday that Chloe Bressack, a fifth-grade teacher at Canopy Oaks Elementary School, will be transferred to the Adult and Community Education campus on Appleyard Drive to teach in its adult basic education program. The transfer takes effect immediately, according to Chris Petley, spokesman for the district.  ...
Full story at the Democrat

:silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And it's outta there! Because even little kids will only tolerate so much silly shit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:47:25 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

And it's outta there! Because even little kids will only tolerate so much silly shit.

I suspect it is more because of parents of little kids....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I suspect it is more because of parents of little kids....
True enough, but the kids would be coming home pretty confused in short order, and sooner or later (likely sooner) one would pipe up and say how dumb that all was. Like the kid in the Emperor's New Clothes, it only takes one to break the ice.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

“... my pronouns are 'they, them, their' instead of 'he, his, she, hers.' I know it takes some practice for it to feel natural,” the letter reads, “but students catch on pretty quickly.”

So basically, she wanted to teach them incorrect grammar.  That's just lovely.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

It's bad enough when people use a singular pronoun for words like "media" (ahem, Rush Limbaugh), but how does a little child know what pronoun to use when the subject doesn't even know what gender (it) is?

RAT Patrol

Daily Mail

But the pronouns "they, them, their" are plural.  Is that to cover all your personalities, teacher?  How about just calling you Sybil?

Offline RoosGirl

So basically, she wanted to teach them incorrect grammar.  That's just lovely.

That's okay because It was teaching math and science.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:52:05 am by RoosGirl »

Offline mountaineer

That's okay because It was teaching match and science.  :laugh:
Oh, like the connection between  a Ford Explorer and the weather?  TROO science!