Author Topic: NFL Protests Are The Dead End Of ‘Resistance’ Culture  (Read 514 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

NFL Protests Are The Dead End Of ‘Resistance’ Culture
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:51:32 pm »
NFL Protests Are The Dead End Of ‘Resistance’ Culture
The Federalist, Sep 25, 2017, Robert Tracinski   

<snip>

I would say that Trump outsmarted the Resistance, but that doesn’t seem to take much work. The Resistance has framed the issue so cleverly that they are on one side and Trump is on the other—along with the national anthem, the flag, and military veterans.

<snip>

What if you don’t go along with them? Well, if you’re not in the Resistance than you’re a collaborator and you must be the racist enemy, too. That’s how we go from a disgruntled quarterback taking the knee, to dozens of players taking the knee, to an inquisition in which every player will be required to take the knee. That’s what’s coming next. People are already demanding that all other players join the kneelers. #TakeTheKnee ends up sounding a whole lot like #BendTheKnee, a demand for obedience to the Left’s anti-American pageantry.

To give you an idea of how far the Resistance has disappeared up its own backside, several prominent left-leaning figures are now suggesting that “The kneel will now become a sign of opposition to Trump.” But kneeling, of course, is an ancient sign of submission, not resistance. So you get suggestions like this, and I honestly can’t tell whether it was meant ironically or not.

That’s what happens when blind, unthinking opposition become more important to you than actual principles and good sense. You end up resisting Trump so much that people kneel before him wherever he goes......

Read more: http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/25/nfl-protests-are-the-dead-end-of-resistance-culture/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: NFL Protests Are The Dead End Of ‘Resistance’ Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:56:25 pm »
The protests went from 1-2 last year, to 5-10 early in the season, then, the President made several comments on it and made it a national issue and immediately he had entire teams protesting.  It isn't the death of it, he egged more on to protest. I suspect a vast majority who protested this past weekend, didn't do so out of support for BLM, but because someone in the Federal Government told them they couldn't do it and should be fired if they do.

Remember Trump's own words in The Art of the Deal: It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they are talking about you.

Trump got everyone talking about them. Far from the death, it seems to be growing.

He should have just butted out and let the market take care of itself. They would have faded away.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:12:46 am »
The protests went from 1-2 last year, to 5-10 early in the season, then, the President made several comments on it and made it a national issue and immediately he had entire teams protesting.  It isn't the death of it, he egged more on to protest. I suspect a vast majority who protested this past weekend, didn't do so out of support for BLM, but because someone in the Federal Government told them they couldn't do it and should be fired if they do.

Remember Trump's own words in The Art of the Deal: It doesn't matter what they say about you as long as they are talking about you.

Trump got everyone talking about them. Far from the death, it seems to be growing.

He should have just butted out and let the market take care of itself. They would have faded away.

This is precisely what happened IMO. The President inflamed a relatively small movement and gave it credibility and a platform. Sad.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:03 am »
This is precisely what happened IMO. The President inflamed a relatively small movement and gave it credibility and a platform. Sad.

From my Army days, "A bitching GI is a happy GI. It's when they're quiet that we worry."

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 11:33:53 am »

So you would prefer Americans not inflame a situation.  You would prefer the President sit down and shut up because the consequences of not doing so would be messy. 

You would prefer the protests over racial injustice aimed at the symbol of American greatness not be talked about in public ... just look the other way and pretend it is neither happening or important.  And I bet you think this is smart and courageous, too.   :smokin:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:38 am »
So you would prefer Americans not inflame a situation.  You would prefer the President sit down and shut up because the consequences of not doing so would be messy. 

You would prefer the protests over racial injustice aimed at the symbol of American greatness not be talked about in public ... just look the other way and pretend it is neither happening or important.  And I bet you think this is smart and courageous, too.   :smokin:

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Concerned

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 12:27:50 pm »

I just don't think exacerbating a situation like this is in the best interest of the country or the President himself. Look, I know he needs to be the center of attention, but with 3 natural disasters, a maniac in North Korea, healthcare, tax policy, and everything else going on, I'd prefer the President focus on things I perceive to be more important than NFL players exercising their 1st Amendment rights especially since it was relatively small and contained until the President insisted on weighing in. JMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 01:19:29 pm »
I just don't think exacerbating a situation like this is in the best interest of the country or the President himself. Look, I know he needs to be the center of attention, but with 3 natural disasters, a maniac in North Korea, healthcare, tax policy, and everything else going on, I'd prefer the President focus on things I perceive to be more important than NFL players exercising their 1st Amendment rights especially since it was relatively small and contained until the President insisted on weighing in. JMO.

Quite a profile in courage. (/sarc)

JMO.   

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:24:04 pm by Right_in_Virginia »