Author Topic: Supreme Court adds union fee case to blockbuster docket  (Read 340 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Supreme Court adds union fee case to blockbuster docket
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:27:53 pm »
A week before the Supreme Court is set to begin the new term, justices announced Thursday that they are adding a big public sector union fees case to an already blockbuster docket.
The issue concerns something that deeply divided the court in 2016: whether non-members of public sector unions can be required to pay so-called "fair share" fees germane to collective bargaining.

The case is brought by Mark Janus, an Illinois public sector employee, who says the fees violate his First Amendment rights. Court precedent holds that while a non-member does not have to pay fees that go to political activities, that exemption does not include fees for issues such as employment conditions and employee grievances.

Unions fear the court might overrule that precedent which would be a big blow to their coffers at a time when union membership is already on a decline.

The high court voted to take up a similar case back when Justice Antonin Scalia was still alive, but he died before the case was decided. The justices ended up splitting 4-4 on the issue automatically affirming the lower court's opinion that went in favor of the unions.

Read more at: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/politics/supreme-court-union-fee/index.html

----

As old Handsy Joe 'Butt Buddies' Biden would say - this is BFD. This would gut the Dem party ATM machine.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Supreme Court adds union fee case to blockbuster docket
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:15 pm »
Most EXCELLENT news!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien