Author Topic: People are about to start dumping cable faster than ever before  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: People are about to start dumping cable faster than ever before
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 01:39:43 pm »
The problem is that content is becoming fragmented as it moves out to these individual providers, requiring someone to have multiple subscriptions.  So we're going to see a second-wave fragmentation.  Where Netflix used to be good, now you'll have to have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and the other new ones popping up. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 01:48:34 pm »
Streaming video is definitely causing cord-cutting, but cable TV revenues are not yet reflecting it.  They are up this year, as they have been every year since the industry began.  Why?  The industry is losing revenues from pay services such as HBO, Starz and Encore.  But most subscribers are not leaving basic cable, and revenues from broadband internet ISP are going through the roof as consumers of streaming services want fast internet.

Cord-cutting represents a shift for the industry, but not its demise.  At least not yet.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:48 pm »
This is about more than the NFL now.   This is about finally starting to stand up to the Leftist infiltration of all of our institutions in the media and academia,  the NFL is just the beginning.
the unpatriotiSM  shown By the NFL will greatly accelerate the demise of cable.

Most folks only take cable for the sports.

Sports not needed, neither is cable.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 09:12:05 pm »
the unpatriotiSM  shown By the NFL will greatly accelerate the demise of cable.

Most folks only take cable for the sports.

Sports not needed, neither is cable.

College and pro football is literally the only reason we have DirecTv. If I had a way to watch Miami Hurricanes play w/o it I'd be gone yesterday.
I stand with Roosgirl.

RAT Patrol

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 09:16:43 pm »
College and pro football is literally the only reason we have DirecTv. If I had a way to watch Miami Hurricanes play w/o it I'd be gone yesterday.

I figure I've saved a minimum of $42,000 over the past 35 years by not having cable.  I have purchased a lot of DVDs but not $42,000 worth.  And I still own them and can keep watching them for free.  I don't need to watch sports and news I can get online.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 09:18:29 pm »
The problem is that content is becoming fragmented as it moves out to these individual providers, requiring someone to have multiple subscriptions.  So we're going to see a second-wave fragmentation.  Where Netflix used to be good, now you'll have to have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and the other new ones popping up.

That's a good point. I understand next year, Disney and Marvel will be pulling their content from Netflix and starting their own service. This is a big draw for Netflix, especially with the Star Wars and Marvel/Avengers franchises booming. People won't give up Netflix, but they'll jump to whatever Disney offers for their services too.

A couple of years from now, we may end up back at the point where we are paying the same as we did for premium cable for a bunch of fragmented services.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 10:16:35 pm »
Several of the main streaming options, are owned by the cable corporations.

--DirectTV Now

--SlingTV

....for example

I have found regular YouTube is a very good source for content.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 10:42:30 pm »
There are several free streaming sites which survive by ads. The one I am currently using is called go90 and so far it has been great. However, it is important to pay attention because I have come across several bogus sites that want to download to your computer.

That is, you type in whatever you want, Mr. Monk free streaming. A list of streaming sites pop up which may or may not actually have Monk available, but the first thing they hit you with is, "In order to use this streaming service, you must install XYZ streaming application." I never do this. Call me chicken if you want but that is too suspicious for me.

Another thing you can do is to subscribe to individual channels directly. For example History channel is $5 per month. I like History channel for Forged in Fire, Alone, and several other shows. Also, I paid FX channel because I wanted to watch American Horror Story. The key to subscribing to individual channels is to follow the shows you want to watch to make sure the season is complete. So, for example, once Forged in Fire has completed for the season, I can pay the five bucks and watch the entire season in a month, and then cancel. This way I wind up watching an entire year of some show I like, for the price of one month.

I haven't had to worry about this lately though, because I moved to a community where we all pay a group rate. Everyone here has the second tier cable package for $10 a month. That is as close to free as you can get. I get every channel of cable that I want, History, Discovery, ID, FX, Fox News, etc., for free. Even so, I still have Hulu and other specialty streaming sites.

Maybe that is the wave of the future. Maybe with the increase in streaming, cable companies with start giving it away, or make it so cheap you can't say no. They have to make money on the advertising, and they can't do that unless someone is watching. If they have to give it away to get eyeballs, maybe they will?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:48:45 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:48 pm »
Meh... Found a FoxNewsLive feed on Youtube, thought I'd check it out...
About 7 mins of news, then 10 mins of commercials.

Can't for the life of me understand why I ever got hooked on that crap.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:50:30 pm by roamer_1 »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 10:56:47 pm »
Meh... Found a FoxNewsLive feed on Youtube, thought I'd check it out...
About 7 mins of news, then 10 mins of commercials.

Can't for the life of me understand why I ever got hooked on that crap.

You can try this one. It is the same as what is one cable.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1241186546001/?#sp=watch-live
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 11:03:52 pm »

You can try this one. It is the same as what is one cable.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/1241186546001/?#sp=watch-live

Nope. Doesn't work here, And I don't care.