Author Topic: 545 people are responsible for the mess, but they unite in a common con  (Read 503 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
(This column was originally published in the Orlando Sentinel on Feb. 3, 1984.)

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the constitutional authority to vote n appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. The Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. the Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exist disembodied mystical force like "the economy," "inflation" or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people and they alone are responsible. They and they alone have the power. they and they alone should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses - provided they have the gumption to manage their own employees.
Copyright © 2017, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-charley-reese-545-people-1984-073111-story.html

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: 545 people are responsible for the mess, but they unite in a common con
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:40:22 pm »
323.95 million are responsible for this mess. We gave the 545 power and cheer them on.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:51:47 pm »

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, we have deficits? Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does. You and I don't have the constitutional authority to vote n appropriations. The House of Representatives does. You and I don't write the tax code. The Congress does. You and I don't set fiscal policy. the Congress does. You and I don't control monetary policy. The Federal Reserve Bank does.

That is a gross oversimplification about what is going on.  Many of the problems we face today are rooted in past events,  many of which I would call "mistakes."   

We have deficits because thanks to the 24th amendment,  it became a politically viable technique to bribe voters with government money. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:56:34 pm »
I wouldn't call it an oversimplification, I would call it a distillation.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 11:50:56 am »
323.95 million are responsible for this mess. We gave the 545 power and cheer them on.

Yes, we give 535 members of Congress power. It is the president who selects the justices and select members of the Senate judiciary committee who give approval and can call for the full vote of the Senate (100 members). In part, it is this power of the presidency that IMHO gave Trump the seat in the oval office over Hillary.  The other side of the problem lies with people like McConnell.  McConnell along with the NRSC (National Republican Senatorial Committee) raises money to ensure incumbents retain their seats against their challengers (such as TEA) and raising money against the opposing party seems to be secondary.  The corrupt powers of the leadership in the Senate and House and the power of "select committees" shouldn't be overlooked; and yes, they keep getting re-elected...however I believe the tremendous amount of money and the power that they hold has a significant impact on the outcome of elections.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:52:02 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.