Author Topic: Army looks for new ways to address misbehaving generals  (Read 428 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Army looks for new ways to address misbehaving generals
« on: September 25, 2017, 05:35:52 pm »

WASHINGTON — Struggling with an embarrassing series of misconduct and behavior problems among senior officers, the Army is putting together new mental health, counseling and career management programs to shape stronger, more ethical leaders.

The programs stem from a broader worry across the military about the need to bolster professionalism within the officer corps while holding accountable those who abuse their power. The Army plan appears to focus more on building character than berating bad conduct.

In recent years, general officers from the one-star to four-star level have violated the military code of conduct they’ve lived under and enforced — often for decades. Some infractions involved extramarital affairs, inappropriate relationships with subordinates or improper use of government funds.

“The idea that we’ll be perfect, I think, is unrealistic, but we can be better and we strive to be better,” said Lt. Gen. Ed Cardon, tasked by the Army’s top officer to review the problem and devise ways to strengthen the senior officer corps. “Competence is no longer enough. Character is as or even more important.”

Among the incidents fueling the order was the suicide of Maj. Gen. John Rossi shortly before he was to become lieutenant general and assume control of Space and Missile Defense Command. Army leaders worry they missed opportunities to deal with the high levels of stress and self-doubt that reportedly led Rossi to hang himself.

In the past nine months, the Army found two senior officers guilty of misconduct, forcing them out of their jobs and demoting them as they retired. One lost two stars; the other lost three.

“We recognized senior executive leaders, with varying amounts of stress, lacked a holistic program that focuses on comprehensive health,” said Gen. Mark Milley, the Army’s chief of staff. The military has strived to combat stress disorders, suicide and other problems, he said, but the focus often has been on enlisted troops or lower-ranking officers.

A new emphasis on senior leaders is needed, he said.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2017/09/24/army-looks-for-new-ways-to-address-misbehaving-generals/#.WcgFIHRbmN4.twitter

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Army looks for new ways to address misbehaving generals
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 05:41:53 pm »
With all due respect, is it possible that the proper approach would be to do a better job in selecting them for promotion?  I mean, by the time you're up for general you should have a pretty long track record in positions of increasing power and influence.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:55:42 pm »
"Some infractions involved extramarital affairs, inappropriate relationships with subordinates or improper use of government funds."

Thats always taken place, its just not hidden as well now.   When I was in the Air Force is was common knowledge that Generals had enlisted girl friends.   Female friends have told me about the attention they got from junior officers.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:02:28 pm »
With all due respect, is it possible that the proper approach would be to do a better job in selecting them for promotion?  I mean, by the time you're up for general you should have a pretty long track record in positions of increasing power and influence.

Part of...well...actually a large part of the problem has to do with ego.  They are so pampered by the time they make flag rank that they begin to believe they are untouchable.  And it leads them to do really stupid stuff.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:07:58 pm »
Part of...well...actually a large part of the problem has to do with ego.  They are so pampered by the time they make flag rank that they begin to believe they are untouchable.  And it leads them to do really stupid stuff.

@txradioguy
They are virtually untouchable.  It takes an act of Congress to do anything.   At worst they might get embarrassed and allowed to resign.  They have whole teams of lackeys who grovel and suck up to them.    A retired AF one star I know; he wanted me to hire him as a lobbyist.  He is a raging alcoholic with the shakes.  Yet he's convinced at least 5 companies to hire him as a advocate, each paying him about $5k a month.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:06 pm »
@txradioguy
They are virtually untouchable.  It takes an act of Congress to do anything.   At worst they might get embarrassed and allowed to resign.  They have whole teams of lackeys who grovel and suck up to them.    A retired AF one star I know; he wanted me to hire him as a lobbyist.  He is a raging alcoholic with the shakes.  Yet he's convinced at least 5 companies to hire him as a advocate, each paying him about $5k a month.

IMHO when they do that...their military retirement should be put into escrow until they stop being a contractor or a lobbyist/consultant.

Half the time they write the job requirements for the civilian position they move into the day after they retire.

Also, I think they should stop requiring a Congress critter to do the "advise and consent" thing for picking someone to either get their star or get their next star.  The GO's become too political and too beholden to their political benefactor from there on out.

They should have to go through selection boards just like at any other rank.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:25:41 pm by txradioguy »