Author Topic: Scripps: 5% Chance of ‘Catastrophic’ Global Warming by Century’s End  (Read 388 times)

rangerrebew

Scripps: 5% Chance of ‘Catastrophic’ Global Warming by Century’s End
Posted by Chris Jennewein on September 15, 2017 

A new study by Scripps Institution of Oceanography finds a 5 percent chance that rapid global warming will be “catastrophic” or worse for the human race.

The study led by Veerabhadran “Ram” Ramanathan, a distinguished professor of climate and atmospheric sciences and adviser to Pope Francis, found that an average global temperature increase greater than 3 degrees centigrade could result in “catastrophic” — and over 5 degrees “existential” — threat to humanity.

https://timesofsandiego.com/tech/2017/09/15/scripps-5-chance-of-catastrophic-global-warming-by-centurys-end/

Oceander

Re: Scripps: 5% Chance of ‘Catastrophic’ Global Warming by Century’s End
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:20:39 am »
/snicker

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Scripps: 5% Chance of ‘Catastrophic’ Global Warming by Century’s End
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:01:41 am »
A few years back, my dog became extremely ill.  We took her to the vet, and after his exam he told us that they could try to treat her but he gave her just a 5% chance of surviving through the weekend. My husband asked if they had ever had one survive, and the vet said, "No, but there is always a chance..."

I think maybe this 5% is the same as that 5%.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra