Author Topic: Saddam Hussein Seriously Feared a U.S. Nuclear Strike During the Gulf War  (Read 282 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Paul Iddon

Even before his regime invaded and annexed the oil-rich sheikdom of Kuwait on Aug. 2, 1990, Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein clearly feared the possibility of a retaliatory Anglo-American nuclear attack on Iraq.

And for good reason. Washington indeed hinted that nukes were on the table.“I know if the going gets hard, then the Americans or the British will use the atomic weapons against me, and so will Israel,” Hussein told his advisors one month before his troops stormed into Kuwait, according to analysis of hours of audio tape by the Conflicts Records Research Center.

“The only thing I have are chemical and biological weapons, and I shall have to use them,” Hussein added. “I have no alternative.”

Ironically, Hussein’s willingness to even consider deploying his non-nuclear weapons of mass destruction was the major reason the Americans raised the prospect of deploying their own WMDs.

more

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/saddam-hussein-seriously-feared-us-nuclear-strike-during-the-19164
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome