Author Topic: The U.S. Military Wants 'Stealth' Bullets  (Read 311 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

The U.S. Military Wants 'Stealth' Bullets
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:06:02 am »
By Michael Peck

Noise-canceling headphones have become a familiar sight. Fastened over the ears of music lovers and airliner passengers, they use sound waves to cancel out the roar of outside noises such as jet engines.

Now the Pentagon wants to use that same technology to develop a quieter rifle bullet that will prevent the enemy from determining the location of the U.S. soldier who fired it.

The Department of Defense research project, titled “Active Noise Control for Small Caliber Ammunition ,” aims to apply advances in noise cancellation to the battlefield. The solicitation notes that while noise suppressors fitted to a rifle can dampen the bang of a weapon being fired, “bullets traveling near or greater than the speed of sound generate a ballistic crack or sonic boom.

more

http://scout.com/military/warrior/Article/The-US-Military-Wants-Stealth-Bullets-107492287
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: The U.S. Military Wants 'Stealth' Bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:08:22 am »
By Michael Peck

Noise-canceling headphones have become a familiar sight. Fastened over the ears of music lovers and airliner passengers, they use sound waves to cancel out the roar of outside noises such as jet engines.

Now the Pentagon wants to use that same technology to develop a quieter rifle bullet that will prevent the enemy from determining the location of the U.S. soldier who fired it.

The Department of Defense research project, titled “Active Noise Control for Small Caliber Ammunition ,” aims to apply advances in noise cancellation to the battlefield. The solicitation notes that while noise suppressors fitted to a rifle can dampen the bang of a weapon being fired, “bullets traveling near or greater than the speed of sound generate a ballistic crack or sonic boom.

more

http://scout.com/military/warrior/Article/The-US-Military-Wants-Stealth-Bullets-107492287

I will buy them
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome