Author Topic: Why is it so hard to swat a fly?  (Read 844 times)

rangerrebew

Why is it so hard to swat a fly?
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:59:21 am »
Why is it so hard to swat a fly?
By Rory Galloway Science writer

17 September 2017

Try to swat a fly and it will soon become clear that they're faster than you. Much faster. But how on Earth do these tiny creatures - with their minuscule brains - outwit us so easily?

You've probably pondered it after chasing a fly around your house and flailing your shoe with repeated, unsuccessful swats. How does it move so fast? Can it read my mind?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41284065

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Why is it so hard to swat a fly?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:31 pm »
Growing up throwing newspapers, I became pretty good at killing flies with a rubber band.  Haven't tried in awhile, but it really works.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:22:21 pm »
Growing up throwing newspapers, I became pretty good at killing flies with a rubber band.  Haven't tried in awhile, but it really works.

My grandfather was amazing at killing flies with a cut rubber band. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:59:04 pm »
Here is my device with dealing with flying insects..  "The Executioner"

And no...I'm not kidding

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 05:09:57 pm »
As kids we'd challenge each other to see how many you could catch with your hand.  We got pretty good at it too.  Not so sure I'd want to do that now....lol.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:19:09 am by mrpotatohead »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:51:23 pm »
Here is my device with dealing with flying insects..  "The Executioner"

And no...I'm not kidding

Yup, those electronic fly killers and bug zappers are awesome, as long as you don't mind the bacteria ridden debris being expelled all around.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/1999/06/03/27774.htm

Offline Forum member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:49 pm »
Cock your middle finger against your thumb then extend the index and ring fingers forward. Slowly approach the fly and he looks back and forth at those two finger until you flick him with the middle finger. Works most of the time.

Harbor Freight sells the electronic swatter under ten bucks and it lasts most of the summer. It's great on fruit flies and gnats.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 01:38:19 am »
Yup, those electronic fly killers and bug zappers are awesome, as long as you don't mind the bacteria ridden debris being expelled all around.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/1999/06/03/27774.htm

Point taken.  Still, flinging bacterial matter doesn't matter that much on the back deck.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.