Author Topic: Obesity is about much more than an unhealthy lifestyle  (Read 647 times)

rangerrebew

Obesity is about much more than an unhealthy lifestyle
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:26:59 am »

Obesity is about much more than an unhealthy lifestyle
September 22, 2017 by Stuart W. Flint And James Nobles, The Conversation

Despite an abundance of evidence illustrating that weight gain is caused by a complex cocktail of factors, obesity is often solely attributed to poor individual lifestyle choices – such as diet and exercise.

This type of simplistic view of what causes weight gain leads to and reinforces what's known as "weight stigma". This is defined as:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-09-obesity-unhealthy-lifestyle.html

Offline Applewood

Re: Obesity is about much more than an unhealthy lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:02 am »
Well, as an overweight person, I don't wish to become one of those protected classes, as the article seems to suggest.  I don't want to run around demanding "civil rights" that I'm not entitled to under the Constitution.   I don't want to protest.  I don't want a National Obesity Day where I can flaunt my overweight status and cry about how I'm being persecuted and demand that everyone else show me tolerance.  I'm not a snowflake.  I don't need special treatment.  I am responsible and will handle my affliction myself.  I don't need government to do it for me. 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:04 am »
I once weighed 245 pounds.  I now weigh 185, a weight I have maintained for the last 4 1/2 years.  I did it through diet and exercise.  I did not know it was impossible.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:37 pm »
0s.  Bu
I once weighed 245 pounds.  I now weigh 185, a weight I have maintained for the last 4 1/2 years.  I did it through diet and exercise.  I did not know it was impossible.

Congratulations!  At my heaviest, I weighed around 220 or so.  I'm now in the upper 150s.  It has taken me almost 9 years to get that far and I should lose more, but I'm getting there. 

Point is we take responsibility and do what we have to do.  We don't have to be a protected class relying on government to save us from fat jokes or whatever they call "discrimination."

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:33:55 pm »
My hat's off to both of you!!!!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:39:45 pm »
Thank you
 @Oceander

Oceander

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor