Author Topic: The two senators who will likely decide fate of ObamaCare repeal  (Read 7662 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: The two senators who will likely decide fate of ObamaCare repeal
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
@Jazzhead
What you're for is to have the government take money from other people and give it to your sister.  If she's getting money then why can't she go look at the open market and get some insurance that isn't through O-care?  They are out there.

Graham-Cassidy will let the Republicans claim victory without actually doing anything.

Exactly.  Well said.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2017, 01:10:04 pm »
@Jazzhead
What you're for is to have the government take money from other people and give it to your sister.  If she's getting money then why can't she go look at the open market and get some insurance that isn't through O-care?  They are out there.

Graham-Cassidy will let the Republicans claim victory without actually doing anything.

Yes, that bears repeating.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »
This is our last, best hope, folks.    I wish Rand Paul would gain some perspective at what's at stake.   

Indeed, Rand Paul is the only one standing that DOES have a proper perspective.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2017, 06:23:45 pm »
I'm for Graham-Cassidy as a step in the right direction;  you, by opposing it in the name of ideological purity,  effectively support the status quo.   

Exactly wrong. Obamacare is failing of it's own weight. Let it fail.
Then the fight will be truly and squarely over a return to a free market v. a single-payer system, rather than this paltry infusion that is Graham-Cassidy.

It is YOU that is preserving the status quo.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2017, 07:12:51 pm »
Well, this all might be moot.  McCain has indicated he will vote "No."  So I guess there won't be enough votes to pass this sham.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2017, 07:21:41 pm »
Well, this all might be moot.  McCain has indicated he will vote "No."  So I guess there won't be enough votes to pass this sham.

Yeah, I just saw that.  Well, however one feels about him, we can all say, "Thanks Honest John."

:boring:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:21:59 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2017, 07:24:24 pm »
Then the fight will be truly and squarely over a return to a free market v. a single-payer system, rather than this paltry infusion that is Graham-Cassidy.

You're living in Cloudcuckooland, of course.  The Congress and the President won't allow O-Care to "fall of its own weight".  Millions of people will be harmed -  and most are voters.   If this bill fails, the President has indicated he'll work with centrists from both parties to prevent that harm, and I for one will support him in that effort.

This is put-up or shut-up time for Republicans and conservatives.  Pass something that moves the ball,  but if their intransigence leaves us all with the status quo,  they will be tossed over the side.   O-Care should not, and will not, be allowed to just "fail".   Tens of millions of lives, not to mention the fate of the private insurance industry, are in the balance.   I support the goals of conservatives,  but I draw the line with this obsession with blood sport.     
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:27:51 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2017, 07:43:49 pm »
You're living in Cloudcuckooland, of course.  The Congress and the President won't allow O-Care to "fall of its own weight".  Millions of people will be harmed -  and most are voters.   If this bill fails, the President has indicated he'll work with centrists from both parties to prevent that harm, and I for one will support him in that effort.

And you will be wrong to do so. The damage wrought in accepting that government should take over nearly one fifth of our open market is where the blood-sport lies. If you think they'll srop there, you've another think coming.

This is put-up or shut-up time for Republicans and conservatives.  Pass something that moves the ball,  but if their intransigence leaves us all with the status quo,  they will be tossed over the side.   O-Care should not, and will not, be allowed to just "fail".   Tens of millions of lives, not to mention the fate of the private insurance industry, are in the balance.   I support the goals of conservatives,  but I draw the line with this obsession with blood sport.   

I will stand upon the Constitution, and the principles of Conservatism. I can and will do no other.

Those who offer pragmatism have brought us where we are, and one thing is sure - More pragmatism is bound to send us further down the hole.

Somebody had better start drawing some hard damn lines.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2017, 08:07:56 pm »

Please, people, explain to me how Obamacare is falling of its own weight.  It was a disaster from the start but ... IT'S STILL HERE and I don't see it failing.  It will fail when it no longer exists.

And I'm tired of people saying that if we chip away at it, we are making it worse.

We are not.  We are chipping away at it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »
Please, people, explain to me how Obamacare is falling of its own weight.  It was a disaster from the start but ... IT'S STILL HERE and I don't see it failing.  It will fail when it no longer exists.

And I'm tired of people saying that if we chip away at it, we are making it worse.

We are not.  We are chipping away at it.

Many states no longer offer obamacare plans - the major insurers having pulled out. Many states have but one choice. The law is worthless, without veracity, where it's demands cannot be met.
It will fail, and fail big. It already is failing big.

That will mean many people losing coverage, but that is already the case, as the coverage provided costs more than the actual services do out of pocket. And the more it fails, the more it costs. It is literally pricing itself out of the market, and at a quickening pace.

It will come to a point, very soon, that there will be no alternative but to repeal it, or write new law to convert the mess to single payer. That is where the rubber hits the road. And that will be very close to mid term elections, and hopefully (quite predictably), 'a throw the bastards out' campaign.

Let it die the cruel death it deserves.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »
This battle over Obastardcare serves to illustrate a very important point about why we must resist becoming a "Democracy."

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

"Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage."

The quote, which origins are in dispute, is often believed to be from Alexander Tytler.  Here is a pretty good column about it.

http://www.lorencollins.net/tytler.html

Regardless of its pedigree, the quote holds true.  The entire battle is over the crowds keeping hold of their Gibsmedats, and getting them to relinquish their ill-gotten goods is damned near impossible without a war..  Here's another quote, which pedigree is not in dispute:

“Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.”
― Frédéric Bastiat
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2017, 08:24:47 pm »
Many states no longer offer obamacare plans - the major insurers having pulled out. Many states have but one choice. The law is worthless, without veracity, where it's demands cannot be met.

That will mean many people losing coverage, but that is already the case, as the coverage provided costs more than the actual services do out of pocket. And the more it fails, the more it costs. It is literally pricing itself out of the market, and at a quickening pace.

It will come to a point, very soon, that there will be no alternative but to repeal it, or write new law to convert the mess to single payer. That is where the rubber hits the road. And that will be very close to mid term elections, and hopefully (quite predictably), 'a throw the bastards out' campaign.

I just hope it collapses before wiping out the insurers.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:28 pm »

Those who are left.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2017, 08:30:26 pm »

Nah. They are distributed. All of them do other types of insurance, and they own most of the health care infrastructure (which is another part of the problem). Their pulling out of the market just means they'll beef up their other concerns.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2017, 08:33:18 pm »

And btw, I wouldn't lose any sleep if it did - I think insurance to be a big part of the cost of health care. without insurance in the market, the cost of services might well adjust downward dramatically.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2017, 08:40:21 pm »

Dream on. It will simply become another Alternative Minimum Tax: once no insurance options are available, the mandates kick in for more and more people and it becomes a source of revenue for Uncle Sam.

Let me repeat this once again: no government program ever dies on its own accord. Waiting for Obamcare to collapse as if some epiphany moment will hit Congress compelling them to act is like waiting for Godot.

Heck, we already see now how quickly these things become entrenched. If Romney and a GOP Senate had been elected in 2012, this whole mess would have been repealed much more quickly.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »

And to hell with the people harmed by such a collapse, I guess.  Your attitude is disgusting - but thankfully the President won't let it happen, because he cares about working folks more than you do. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »
And to hell with the people harmed by such a collapse, I guess.  Your attitude is disgusting - but thankfully the President won't let it happen, because he cares about working folks more than you do.

As compared to the hell brought forth by it's inception? I know NO ONE who still has coverage, except those covered by medicaid and medicare. Everyone I know (to include my entire family), all of whom had reasonable insurance before the fact, now run without, or are turning to alternatives like Christian Brotherhood plans.

It doesn't come up often, and I am by no means inquiring, but in every single case where it has come up, it is in the context of costing too much and having to forego coverage.

It is not uncommon for folks to be expected to cover THREE TIMES their mortgage payment, and more, for coverage with so high a deductible that they will never ever use it.

So a pox on your statement. Everyone I know is working class and entrepreneurial. This crap is destroying people by it's very existence. *SPIT*

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2017, 08:52:21 pm »

Please scroll up a little and read my Frédéric Bastiat quote.  Guess who I was thinking of when I looked that up.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2017, 08:53:28 pm »
As compared to the hell brought forth by it's inception? I know NO ONE who still has coverage, except those covered by medicaid and medicare. Everyone I know (to include my entire family), all of whom had reasonable insurance before the fact, now run without, or are turning to alternatives like Christian Brotherhood plans.

It doesn't come up often, and I am by no means inquiring, but in every single case where it has come up, it is in the context of costing too much and having to forego coverage.

It is not uncommon for folks to be expected to cover THREE TIMES their mortgage payment, and more, for coverage with so high a deductible that they will never ever use it.

So a pox on your statement. Everyone I know is working class and entrepreneurial. This crap is destroying people by it's very existence. *SPIT*

He complains bitterly when he thinks people say mean things about him, but look how he tosses about the insults like manhole covers.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2017, 08:55:34 pm »
Dream on. It will simply become another Alternative Minimum Tax: once no insurance options are available, the mandates kick in for more and more people and it becomes a source of revenue for Uncle Sam.

Let me repeat this once again: no government program ever dies on its own accord. Waiting for Obamcare to collapse as if some epiphany moment will hit Congress compelling them to act is like waiting for Godot.

Heck, we already see now how quickly these things become entrenched. If Romney and a GOP Senate had been elected in 2012, this whole mess would have been repealed much more quickly.

So now that it's here, we just have to live with it and hope for the best? Bullshit.
It lives because it has no opposition. The bare fact and cause of pragmatists and their unprincipled way.

Demand that opposition and it will leave, straightaway. But that means voting for the 'purists' who stand upon the principles the nation was founded upon, and upon whom your very liberty rests.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2017, 09:03:33 pm »
So now that it's here, we just have to live with it and hope for the best? Bullshit.
It lives because it has no opposition. The bare fact and cause of pragmatists and their unprincipled way.

Demand that opposition and it will leave, straightaway. But that means voting for the 'purists' who stand upon the principles the nation was founded upon, and upon whom your very liberty rests.

It lives because the Gibsmedats won't give up their filthy lucre, and will scream "Heartless" to keep it.  Witness our friend above, notice how his go-to argument is "you are a heartless devil."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:10 pm »

Amen to all that you said.  And if I believed that this would happen within the next year or two even, I would be willing to forego any intended improvement that this new bill will give us.

I wish with all my heart that I could believe it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2017, 09:09:11 pm »

I'm putting this up in bold so everybody can see what a demagogue looks like, and as a reminder of why setting things right after a world-class destructor like Obama is almost impossible.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2017, 09:11:38 pm »
It lives because the Gibsmedats won't give up their filthy lucre, and will scream "Heartless" to keep it.  Witness our friend above, notice how his go-to argument is "you are a heartless devil."

Of course.