Author Topic: Artist Makes 3-D Portraits From DNA Found on Gum, Cigarette Butts, and Fingernails  (Read 477 times)

rangerrebew

Artist Makes 3-D Portraits From DNA Found on Gum, Cigarette Butts, and Fingernails

"It all started with wondering what I could learn about someone from a little piece ... they left behind," says artist

more

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/short-film-showcase/artist-makes-3-d-portraits-from-dna-found-on-gum-cigarette-butts-and-fingernails?utm_source=NatGeocom&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=inside_20170918&utm_campaign=Content&utm_rd=852978215

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
"It all started with wondering what I could learn about someone from a little piece ... they left behind," says artist Heather Dewey-Hagborg. Using discarded items like cigarette butts, chewing gum, and fingernails, she extracted traces of DNA to create masks based on the owner's genetic profile. While difficult to determine how closely these portraits match the original holder, they do put a human face on larger questions surrounding genetic surveillance. Filmmakers Veena Rao and Emily Sheskin present Dewey-Hagborg's "Stranger Visions" series and her counter-surveillance product Invisible, a set of sprays she claims erases the majority of one's DNA footprint.

It would be interesting to give her samples of known people and see how close she gets.  Is there any validity to this or not?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
It would be interesting to give her samples of known people and see how close she gets.  Is there any validity to this or not?

One of my customers is a genetics research institute that focuses on oncology.   I've spoken with some of the leading genetics scientists in the world (yes I felt like a dim bulb in the room).   The subject of pulling DNA off a table came up and they confirmed it is accurate if the person knows what they are doing.  One guy had an assistant with the PHD in biochemistry.   

I was trying to help them comply with HIPAA regulations without getting in the way of their research.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.