Author Topic: 'Outpouring of selfless acts' a foundation for Houston recovery. It is 'America that is rarely depicted in the mainstream media'  (Read 385 times)

rangerrebew

'Outpouring of selfless acts' a foundation for Houston recovery
It is 'America that is rarely depicted in the mainstream media'
Published: 2 days ago

By Jacque Havelka

Editor’s note: Jacque Havelka is a contributor to WND. This is her first-person account of surviving Hurricane Harvey.

Never underestimate the power of water. My parents drilled this mantra into my head as a young girl growing up in San Antonio in an area prone to flash floods. I’ve lived in Houston for 30 years, and as such, have lived through several hurricanes. The worst (until Harvey) was Hurricane Ike in 2008. Ike had 145 mph sustained winds, and the eye of the storm passed right over us. I had never experienced anything like it.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/09/outpouring-of-selfless-acts-a-foundation-for-houston-recovery/#07YMKmpUHXwlURt2.99

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
People could have stayed dry and safe in their own homes. Instead, anyone with a personal watercraft of any kind – boat, jet ski, or kayak – -joined in the rescue, like my high school neighbor, Braden. Water treatment personnel slept in the plant for five days to ensure a steady water supply.

We’ve met Texans from cities big and small, like Flower Mound police, who volunteered to come help. We met first responders from Pennsylvania, Utah and Tennessee, to name a few. My favorite was the cooking team from Stone Energy in Lafayette, Louisiana; their team cooked Cajun meals for five days straight. One day, they made 2,000 sausage po’boys for lunch. When I delivered their food to neighborhoods, I was the most popular girl on the block.

The outpouring of selfless acts has been tremendous and surreal. Late at night when I couldn’t sleep because of high stress levels and even higher caffeine levels, I thought about everything I had witnessed, and realized that it all reflects the America I know and love. It is also the America that is rarely depicted in the mainstream media.

Time stands still when you’re in a situation like Harvey. You live in a vacuum. Your only focus is on local news. There’s no time to watch antifa groups destroy Confederate statues or spread their violence on college campuses. I remember wondering how many antifa were in Houston lending a helping hand. I’m guessing not many.

Great story.