Author Topic: Meteorite impact caused the highest temperature ever recorded on Earth's surface  (Read 401 times)

rangerrebew

Meteorite impact caused the highest temperature ever recorded on Earth's surface
September 18, 2017 by Bob Yirka report

An international team of researchers has found evidence of an ancient meteorite colliding with ground rock on Earth, producing the highest temperature ever recorded on the planet's surface. In their paper published in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters, the team describes their findings after studying an impact crater in Canada and how they were able to calculate the temperature for an impact that occurred so many years ago.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-meteorite-impact-highest-temperature-earth.html#jCp

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
At 38MMya? That's Mid-Eocene. I think the climate models may require a re-think. An impact generating that sort of heat would have to produce aerosols/ejecta which would affect climate for a considerable period.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis