Author Topic: For GOP, Tax Reform May Be Last Chance To Save Jobs — Their Own  (Read 333 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

For GOP, Tax Reform May Be Last Chance To Save Jobs — Their Own
Investor's Business Daily, Sep 14, 2017

Taxes: Is the GOP getting serious about tax reform at last? Republicans in Congress say they'll unveil the outlines of a consensus plan in two weeks, as President Trump hits the hustings to stump for tax reform. We hope this isn't another false start.

"Reform" is one of those words that sounds easy, but really isn't. Every political interest group has a dog in the fight, and no one wants to give up a cherished deduction. And few politicians want to be seen as cutting taxes on Americans in the top income brackets or corporations, a sure way to be accused of "tax cuts for the rich," as the progressives' anti-tax-cut mantra goes.

Still, it seems as if both Congress and the president are aware that time is running out, and that next year — a midterm election year for Congress — doing anything bold or smart might not be politically possible. The political window is still open, but it might shut soon.

A poll released Thursday by the pro-tax reform Club for Growth, conducted by Fabrizio, Lee and Associates, put it bluntly: "If Republicans fail to pass tax reform, the situation will be bleak. Nearly 1 in 5 will oppose members if they do not pass tax cuts. Another 25% of Republican voters will not support either party — meaning they will likely not vote at all."

More: http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/for-gop-tax-reform-may-be-last-chance-to-save-jobs-their-own/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: For GOP, Tax Reform May Be Last Chance To Save Jobs — Their Own
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:37 pm »
Not going to be any "reform"!  There will be at best a little more tinkering around the edges of the Marxist income tax.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien