Author Topic: Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”  (Read 11661 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 07:33:44 pm »
Also, many of the 'Trump' branded buildings, he didn't actually build, contract the building, or even oversee the project. He just licensed the use of his name to them.

That seems to be quite germane in a discussion of what he accomplishes.

Well, maybe to you but it wasn't my point at all.  My point was that Trump's viewpoint as a businessman was that he could manage to get something built or done if he really wanted to. 

My use of the buildings wasn't relevant ... just an example of how he was thinking.

Now that he's President, he's been forced to realize that he can't just do something because he thinks it needs to be done.  He's got to get past the courts and the congress and that has proven difficult.

I think he meant what he said about the wall and I think he believed he could do it.  I think his supporters believed it also.

We'll see what happens.  He hasn't given up on the wall.  He said that today. 

Other things are more important to me.  DACA is one.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Silver Pines

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 07:35:36 pm »
   They're stealing @Emjay ideas again. She mentioned this last night.

@corbe

She sure did.

Silver Pines

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »
Not this one. I find it hard to believe any of them did.

@anubias

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/29/trump-voters-want-to-build-the-wall-but-are-more-divided-on-other-immigration-questions/

"About eight-in-ten Trump supporters who cast ballots or were planning to in the days leading up to the election (79%) said illegal immigration was a “very big” problem in the U.S., according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted just before Election Day. Even more (86%) said the immigration situation in the U.S. has “gotten worse” since 2008.

But while 79% of pro-Trump registered voters said in an August survey that they favored building a wall on the Mexican border, they did not take as hard a line when it came to the status of those who are already living in the U.S. illegally."

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 07:43:07 pm »
Crying over this wall is ridiculous. Nobody in his right mind ever believed that wall would be built.  Now he gets to blame Turtle and Ryan for it. Stupid pubbies. Trump is laughing his ass off.

Yes.  This is Congress's fault somehow, and not at all symbolic illustrative of the middle finger Trump has offered his voters.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:51:09 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 07:47:44 pm »
Yes.  This is Congress's fault somehow, and not at all symbolic of the middle finger Trump has offered his voters.

Kindly do not use the word 'symbolic.'  That is my word and it is copyrighted.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »
Yes.  This is Congress's fault somehow, and not at all symbolic of the middle finger Trump has offered his voters.

Quite a few people believed that a wall would be built, including Trump.

Trump has tried to halt illegal immigration.  He tried a travel ban but it was shot down by judges.  Liberal judges.

And, yes, Congress has been a barrier to stopping Obamacare and you know it.

It's just easier to blame Trump for everything.

Silver Pines

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 08:53:43 pm »
The wall is in our hearts.  ❤️

Offline DB

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »
Quite a few people believed that a wall would be built, including Trump.

Trump has tried to halt illegal immigration.  He tried a travel ban but it was shot down by judges.  Liberal judges.

And, yes, Congress has been a barrier to stopping Obamacare and you know it.

It's just easier to blame Trump for everything.

It is never their fault... It is always due to something else...

And as far as "beliefs" go, the Democrats believe they are improving our healthcare with Obamacare. And with single payer next. They believe they are improving our lives by regulating and taxing us to death all for the greater good. They know best how to manage our lives, our labor our healthcare...

Trump's campaign was successful because he was going "to build a wall". Just go look at the history of it over on the TOS. It was the big turning point. That's when Cruz was rejected and Trump was selected as their candidate. And none of Trump's history mattered anymore - it was THE WALL! - no matter what he did from then on out. And this was the guy dumping on Romney just 4 years earlier for being "mean spirited" for saying he was going to secure the borders and deport illegals... Trump found his angle and played it for all it was worth. It is the art of the deal. And here we are...

Edited by Mod8 - Inappropriate comment removed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:59:49 am by MOD8 »

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »

I think he meant what he said about the wall and I think he believed he could do it.  I think his supporters believed it also.

I'm confused. Didn't you also say "I think Trump meant a real wall and I think his supporters expected a real wall, but we knew all along it wasn't feasible, given the length of the border and the terrain and the fact that many states are involved."

So which one did you mean? "His supporters believed he could build the wall" or "we knew all along it wasn't feasible"?

Why when Trump reneges on another one of his promises do his supporters always say that something else is "more important" to them?

"Other things are more important to me.  DACA is one."

I hope that one isn't too far up on your important list. Things aren't looking so good in that regard:(

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:45 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
Crying over this wall is ridiculous. Nobody in his right mind ever believed that wall would be built.  Now he gets to blame Turtle and Ryan for it. Stupid pubbies. Trump is laughing his ass off.
But, but, but, we have been told by any number of his supporters that THE WALL!! (aside from being the not-Hillary) was THE reason to vote for him.

"Begin working on an impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful, southern border wall."http://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-touts-technology-plan-for-border-wall-755544643686
Link still works.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 10:03:06 pm »
I hope that one isn't too far up on your important list. Things aren't looking so good in that regard:(

Boy did that post get screwed up! Sorry. It didn't work out as I planned. Not all in that post was quotes from Emjay. Some were my comments in the blue box as well.

Silver Pines

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 10:41:52 pm »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 12:54:19 am »
[Inappropriate comment removed by Mod8] It is never their fault... It is always due to something else...

And as far as "beliefs" go, the Democrats believe they are improving our healthcare with Obamacare. And with single payer next. They believe they are improving our lives by regulating and taxing us to death all for the greater good. They know best how to manage our lives, our labor our healthcare...

Trump's campaign was successful because he was going "to build a wall". Just go look at the history of it over on the TOS. It was the big turning point. That's when Cruz was rejected and Trump was selected as their candidate. And none of Trump's history mattered anymore - it was THE WALL! - no matter what he did from then on out. And this was the guy dumping on Romney just 4 years earlier for being "mean spirited" for saying he was going to secure the borders and deport illegals... Trump found his angle and played it for all it was worth. It is the art of the deal. And here we are...

That's a disgusting thing to say and, on behalf of my kind and wonderful husband, I resent it.

Yes, the wall helped Trump get elected.  When did I deny that?  It's obvious.

I'm not defending Trump ... I'm just suggesting that we wait and see and not fall all over ourselves believing Pelosi and Schumer.

I was kicked out of TOS for telling them that there would never be a wall.  I was a pariah here for a while for saying there would never be a wall.

But now I think that there's a chance there will be a partial wall in some places.

Making nasty personal comments does not win anyone to your side of any argument.  You should have learned that along the way somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:00:29 am by MOD8 »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 01:14:15 am »
Also, many of the 'Trump' branded buildings, he didn't actually build, contract the building, or even oversee the project. He just licensed the use of his name to them.

That seems to be quite germane in a discussion of what he accomplishes.

What? trump is licentious?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 01:47:11 am »
That's a disgusting thing to say and, on behalf of my kind and wonderful husband, I resent it.

I'm not defending Trump ... I'm just suggesting that we wait and see and not fall all over ourselves believing Pelosi and Schumer.

I was kicked out of TOS for telling them that there would never be a wall.  I was a pariah here for a while for saying there would never be a wall.

But now I think that there's a chance there will be a partial wall in some places.

Making nasty personal comments does not win anyone to your side of any argument.  You should have learned that along the way somewhere.
We  have a partial wall. Very partial. A small fraction of the length of the border, and only in a couple of high traffic areas, where it has been effective enough people are going around or tunneling under it where they can.

Cruz was talking about a wall in 2012, but Trump snagged the idea and was so busy pushing the "lyin' ted" bit that I think Cruz just didn't bother trying to set that record straight.

You and have been in agreement that there is a low likelihood of any appreciable progress on a border barrier.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 01:51:46 am »

I did not suggest your husband is or ever was a wife batterer in any way. Nor did I intend to. I'm sorry you took it that way. I said your comment made a perfect example of the mentality of blaming others for someones bad behavior as exampled by a wife batterer. "It isn't his fault he beat me".... "He was provoked"... Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 02:16:44 am »
Okay, maybe not, but it was offensive.

I blamed no one for Trump's failures to get his agenda through.

I did explain that there were some roadblocks thrown up by Congress and the Courts.

I hope you are not denying that this is so.

It will be a miracle if Trump becomes a good president but I believe in miracles.

Offline DB

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 03:02:06 am »
Okay, maybe not, but it was offensive.

I blamed no one for Trump's failures to get his agenda through.

I did explain that there were some roadblocks thrown up by Congress and the Courts.

I hope you are not denying that this is so.

It will be a miracle if Trump becomes a good president but I believe in miracles.

I don't deny that. But Trump is his own worst enemy. He's burned bridges at every opportunity. He tweets before he thinks. Whenever someone goes out on a limb for him trying to explain "what he really meant" he saws off the branch the next day by saying something else contradictory.

He has the biggest bully pulpit in the world to promote/organize his agenda and he's a complete failure at it. He doesn't even try. He only knows how to make demands "or else" and when that doesn't work he walks away while threatening to "primary" the most conservative in his party.

I'll admit, I want some of his agenda to fail. I don't want "government's going to pay for it" healthcare. I don't want much higher tariffs on imports. I don't want Sessions asset forfeitures to expand. I don't want a higher ethanol mandates for gasoline. I don't want to tax "the rich" more. I don't want Planned Parenthood being fed federal tax dollars "because they do good things". The list is long...

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2017, 03:25:28 am »

And now a word from Donald J. Trump...............

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump · 17h17 hours ago 

Does anybody really want to throw out good, educated and accomplished young people who have jobs, some serving in the military? Really!.....

38,623 replies   16,474 retweets   70,838 likes   

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump · 17h17 hours ago 

The WALL, which is already under construction in the form of new renovation of old and existing fences and walls, will continue to be built.

22,113 replies   21,516 retweets   90,337 likes

I bet all those Trump voters didn't realize that the wall was patching holes in the existing fence.

Fixed it!!!  :silly:

Yes we do want you to throw them out!

https://www.redstate.com/absentee/2017/09/14/breaking-trumps-morning-tweet-serious-slap-face-base/

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:06:51 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2017, 03:31:10 am »
Hold on now.  (Anyone remember him from TOS)  Why is everybody is a virtual tizzy.  This was just an idea tossed out by a guy on Fox and Friends.

Personally, I think the wall was both real and symbolic.  I think Trump meant a real wall and I think his supporters expected a real wall, but we knew all along it wasn't feasible, given the length of the border and the terrain and the fact that many states are involved.

But The Wall also became symbolic of our desire to have our country protected from illegals.  I read yesterday that the majority of illegal entrants are no longer majority Mexican, so that's scary right there.

C'mon now, it's either symbolic or it is real. It can not be both.

Offline DB

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 03:33:00 am »
C'mon now, it's either symbolic or it is real. It can not be both.

If you fall short of the goal, move the goal posts...

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:14 am »
If you fall short of the goal, move the goal posts...

Now you see it, now you don't.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2017, 03:47:20 am »
Now you see it, now you don't.

The sidestep..... a well-known politician dance routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emc1M5F9I-E
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.