Author Topic: Mexico's strongest earthquake in a century leaves dozens dead  (Read 849 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Mexico's strongest earthquake in a century leaves dozens dead
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:04:30 am »
Joshua Berlinger, Mariano Castillo and Ray Sanchez, CNN

Updated 2:39 AM ET, Sat September 9, 2017

(CNN)At least 61 people have died after the most powerful earthquake to hit Mexico in a century struck off the southern coast.
The magnitude 8.1 quake, which was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala City, was registered off Mexico's southern coast just as heavy rains from Hurricane Katia lashed the east. The epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean, some 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) southeast of the capital and 74 miles (120 kilometers) off the coast.
President Enrique Peña Nieto said the temblor -- felt by about 50 million people across the country -- was the strongest earthquake Mexico has experienced in 100 years. In September 1985, a magnitude 8.0 earthquake killed an estimated 9,500 people in and around Mexico City.

This one hit late Thursday, when many people were asleep. The states of Chiapas and Oaxaca, home to about 9 million people, are located closest to the earthquake's epicenter. They are two of the most impoverished areas in Mexico, and were likely hit the hardest.
At least 45 people were killed in Oaxaca state, Civil Protection National Coordinator Luis Felipe Puente said on Twitter. Ten others died in Chiapas state and three were killed in Tabasco, he said.

Read more at: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/08/americas/earthquake-hits-off-the-coast-of-southern-mexico/index.html

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

Re: Mexico's strongest earthquake in a century leaves dozens dead
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:08:10 am »
We were talking about this in the church choir this morning.  It's amazing how it was felt over such a large area.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:11:31 am »
Wow, 8.1.  They usually come in pairs, one on the opposite side of the world. I'm not sure of the mechanics around that but I remember it was something my grandmother watched when I was young (living in Southern California it was how she guessed when one would hit). I've always watched since then and saw the pattern seems to continue.

Then again, that could just be coincidence.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:11:56 am by AbaraXas »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:12:17 am »
We were talking about this in the church choir this morning.  It's amazing how it was felt over such a large area.

They say it's the largest in Mexico in a century, and they've had some really bad ones down there....

Their construction techniques are a little behind ours.  I expect a lot more casualties, like Haiti.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:14:54 am »
I've had Fox on all day and I don't think they have mentioned this..if they did I sure missed it....it is Irma 24/7
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:34:09 am »
Wow, 8.1.  They usually come in pairs, one on the opposite side of the world. I'm not sure of the mechanics around that but I remember it was something my grandmother watched when I was young (living in Southern California it was how she guessed when one would hit). I've always watched since then and saw the pattern seems to continue.

Then again, that could just be coincidence.

New Zealand is seeing a bunch of small earthquake activity. The swarm SE of me is still going on. 3-5 point earthquakes. Not strong enough to feel here.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:13:54 pm »
Mexico pulls Texas aid offer as it grapples with earthquake
By Madison Park, CNN
Updated 8:49 AM ET, Tue September 12, 2017

(CNN)Mexico will no longer send the emergency aid offered to Texas after Hurricane Harvey, to focus on those affected by a deadly earthquake and Hurricane Katia that struck the eastern state of Veracruz last week, the Mexican Foreign Ministry said Monday.

In a statement, the ministry said the decision was taken in light of the changed circumstances in both countries, and the fact that the need for help in Texas had diminished.

Mexico offered to deliver aid to Texas in late August, after the state was struck by Hurricane Harvey and flooding. But Mexico is now grappling with the aftermath of two natural disasters.

An 8.1-magnitude earthquake struck off Mexico's southern coast last Thursday. The earthquake struck the states of Oaxaca, Chiapas and Tabasco, and killed 95 people, according to the Foreign Ministry.  ...

The following day, Hurricane Katia, a Category 1 storm, made landfall in Mexico's state of Veracruz.   ...  Full story at CNN

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:26 pm »
September 12, 2017 / 3:04 PM / Updated 15 minutes ago
Trump to call Mexico's Pena Nieto in earthquake's wake: White House

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump was scheduled to speak with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on Tuesday about last week’s devastating earthquake that led to the deaths of at least 96 people, the White House said.

Asked why Trump had not yet called Pena Nieto, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said a telephone call was scheduled to take place within the hour.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »
Strongest maybe but not deadliest; they've had some bad quakes, I think the epicenter of this one was out in the ocean.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:29 pm »
It was in the ocean, but still devastating to the folks inland. The death toll, while significant, is not as great as some of the huge quakes in recent years.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 07:44:50 pm »
It was 8.1

An 8, is ten times more than a 7

A 7 is ten time a 6

etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln