Author Topic: Tidal wave of support for Colorado baker hits Supreme Court  (Read 12856 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Tidal wave of support for Colorado baker hits Supreme Court
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2017, 06:30:36 pm »
That's your defense of religion?  That communism is worse?   *****rollingeyes*****

Really, Jazzhead?  No, that was my response to your silly statement.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »

By that token then a vendor has no right to express their morality, but their customers can express any morality they choose

More needless dramatics.    The baker can freely choose whether to make and sell wedding cakes.   If he advertises such wares to the public,  then the decent and honorable thing to do is to provide the service he's advertised to provide.   Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
More needless dramatics.    The baker can freely choose whether to make and sell wedding cakes.   If he advertises such wares to the public,  then the decent and honorable thing to do is to provide the service he's advertised to provide.   Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

@Jazzhead
Once again you seek to force your beliefs on others.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:56 pm »
That is illegal and discriminatory according to the radical hedonist Leftists, and using the government force one to celebrate deviancy in the name of diversity and inclusiveness is the "law of the land" according to them.

Which is why I said - wars and bloodbaths happen when such people push for the punishment of those who refuse to comply.

Yeah, in the meantime in *my* Realville, I have full electricity after the hurricane, but my neighbors are still out.  They are hooked in to our well now so have running water in the house and the just came over and took three 5 gallons cans of gas to be able to continue to run their generator for a couple more days without driving all over God's green earth to find a gas station that is working and has gas.  *My* Realville doesn't have time for some bullshit, made up grievance over a stupid wedding cake that if one person won't provide 5 others will.  People need to get a damn grip.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 06:37:13 pm »

As long as they are a govt approved grievance group. Only those can the baker not discriminate against. Anyone not on the list he can. How exactly does that square with the 14th amendment?
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2017, 06:39:24 pm »
Yeah, in the meantime in *my* Realville, I have full electricity after the hurricane, but my neighbors are still out.  They are hooked in to our well now so have running water in the house and the just came over and took three 5 gallons cans of gas to be able to continue to run their generator for a couple more days without driving all over God's green earth to find a gas station that is working and has gas.  *My* Realville doesn't have time for some bullshit, made up grievance over a stupid wedding cake that if one person won't provide 5 others will.  People need to get a damn grip.

@RoosGirl
It was never about the cake.  If it were then they would have just gone somewhere else.   No this was about forcing their beliefs on everyone else.  They probably did a lot of research on bakeries and friendly judges before trying to buy the cake and the associated services.

Wingnut

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »

Amen!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:14 pm »
That's your defense of religion?  That communism is worse?   *****rollingeyes*****

No, you said religion killed more people than any other cause.  When you abuse statistics like that you can count on people with pocket calculators showing up to expose your BS.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:06 pm »
The Commerce Clause, empowering the Congress to set rules for the orderly and fair conduct of commerce.  You can't claim "religious freedom" to cheat your customers, or to discriminate against them because of their race, etc.   The community (by its elected representatives) is perfectly able to constrict your "freedom" with respect to commercial activities.   

If you advertise the cake,  and your customer asks for what you advertise to provide,  then just bake it and can the religious crap.
Get back to me when your halal butcher sells pork chops.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »

I'd settle for imitation bacon bits. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »
The Commerce Clause, empowering the Congress to set rules for the orderly and fair conduct of commerce.  You can't claim "religious freedom" to cheat your customers, or to discriminate against them because of their race, etc.   The community (by its elected representatives) is perfectly able to constrict your "freedom" with respect to commercial activities.   

If you advertise the cake,  and your customer asks for what you advertise to provide,  then just bake it and can the religious crap.

@Jazzhead
But of course its not just a cake.  In this case the baker offered other products which were refused.

No it was a wedding cake.   A wedding cake that included the services of delivering and setting up.   Providing support for the wedding and participating in the wedding.

And fortunately we are free to exercise our religion despite  your hatred of all things Christian. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »
Back it up a notch, peaches. The decent and honorable thing would have been for the 'couple' to not even ask someone to violate their relationship with The Almighty, much less try to coerce that violation.

I may not like Islam, but I'm not going to force a Muslim to handle pork. I'll just get my meat elsewhere, or hire someone else, instead.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »
Back it up a notch, peaches. The decent and honorable thing would have been for the 'couple' to not even ask someone to violate their relationship with The Almighty, much less try to coerce that violation.

I may not like Islam, but I'm not going to force a Muslim to handle pork. I'll just get my meat elsewhere, or hire someone else, instead.

Heck not too long ago the muslim cab drivers wouldn't even allow people with dogs in their cabs.  Because dogs are unclean to them.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2017, 07:02:41 pm »
No, my faith is in Jesus Christ.  Not in your sick vision of religious tribalism and violence.

Yet you ignore what He has to say in His Word.

You treat the bible like a buffet table and create your own religion salad to sate your own ideas on what God promotes and accepts while at the same time loathing those who live by every word, in their proper context and not just the words we like to hear.

As I have told you before, you have created a god to worship from your own imagination, not the One revealed.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:36 pm »
@RoosGirl
It was never about the cake.  If it were then they would have just gone somewhere else.   No this was about forcing their beliefs on everyone else.  They probably did a lot of research on bakeries and friendly judges before trying to buy the cake and the associated services.

BINGO!

We have a winner!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2017, 07:09:24 pm »

And what halal butcher advertises that he sells pork chops?   

Again - if you say you sell it, than serve the customers who come into your store to buy it. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
Heck not too long ago the muslim cab drivers wouldn't even allow people with dogs in their cabs.  Because dogs are unclean to them.
So the question stands, why can one group say it is their religious belief to not do something and that's okay, and another group says it is against their religious belief to do something and they are stripped of their business, fined, etc.? Both are invoking their freedom of Religion, and one is invoking their freedom of speech (expression), which is another part of the First Amendment. While some Muslim cab drivers may ply their trade creatively, there is no doubt that creating a wedding cake requires creativity and talent, therefore, that cake is an expression. Forcing someone to express something that goes against their deeply held (religious) beliefs is a violation of their Right.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2017, 07:11:01 pm »

Again - if you say you sell it, than serve the customers who come into your store to buy it.
Meat is meat--they're a butcher.

What Christian Baker advertises they sell gay wedding cakes?

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:07 pm »

He advertises that he is a butcher that sells meat. But he only sells certain kinds of meat.

Just like a baker advertises he sells wedding cakes, but doesn't bake one for every kind of wedding.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:20 pm »
@Jazzhead
 . . .despite  your hatred of all things Christian.

I don't hate Christians.  I don't care much for bigots, though.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:03 pm »
He advertises that he is a butcher that sells meat. But he only sells certain kinds of meat.

Just like a baker advertises he sells wedding cakes, but doesn't bake one for every kind of wedding.

No halal butcher has pork on his menu of services.   The baker says he offers wedding cakes.   

Say what you mean and mean what you say.   That isn't a Christian concept?   

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:09 pm »
Meat is meat--they're a butcher.

What Christian Baker advertises they sell gay wedding cakes?

@Jazzhead  May have just hit on it.  All bakers have to do is advertise Biblical Wedding Cakes or some version.   Still not right but it would be funny to see.

They could just say "sorry Johnny, that is not a biblical wedding and we don't make those other kinda wedding cakes."

Wingnut

« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:11 pm »

Hell Boy, anyone who disagrees with your SJW stances are bigots to you.  It don't play here any more homie.  Find a new sticht.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:47 pm »

@Jazzhead

Actions speak louder than words.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »