General Category > Economy/Business

Equifax Lobbied To Kill Rule Protecting Victims Of Data Breaches

(1/3) > >>

corbe:

Equifax Lobbied To Kill Rule Protecting Victims Of Data Breaches

By Alex Kotch @alexkotch  AND David Sirota @davidsirota   On 09/08/17 AT 5:56 PM

If you want to know if you were one of the 143 million people whose data was breached in a hack of Equifax’s data, the company has a website you can use to find out — but there  appears to be a catch: To check, you have to agree to give up your legal right to sue the company for damages. The outrage that clause has now generated could complicate the company’s efforts — backed by Republican lawmakers — to block an imminent rule that would ban companies from forcing customers to agree to such provisions.

On  Friday, social media users spotlighted fine print on Equifax’s website that appears to force users to agree to waive their class action rights if they use the company’s website to see if their personal data was exposed by the recent hack. It is precisely the kind of arbitration clause that a pending Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) rule is designed to outlaw — if Republicans and the Trump administration allow it to go into effect as scheduled later this month.

<..snip..>

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-capital/equifax-lobbied-kill-rule-protecting-victims-data-breaches-2587929

IsailedawayfromFR:
They may as well fold up the company unless they offer some proof it is not as widespread as being claimed.

No one will now leave their personal data with them for credit checking, as we all have alternatives.

Fishrrman:
Isailed wrote:
"No one will now leave their personal data with them for credit checking, as we all have alternatives."

I don't follow what you wrote above.

I have no choice as to whether or not Equifax gathers info on my creditworthiness.
If I had the choice, I would not permit ANY credit checking agency to accumulate data on me.

But I don't -have- that choice.
How does one prevent credit bureaus from doing so?

Wingnut:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on September 09, 2017, 01:01:08 am ---They may as well fold up the company unless they offer some proof it is not as widespread as being claimed.

No one will now leave their personal data with them for credit checking, as we all have alternatives.

--- End quote ---

WTF are you smoking?  Inhaling to much Seatle forest fire ash? Like we have a choice.

driftdiver:

--- Quote from: Wingnut on September 09, 2017, 01:33:27 am ---WTF are you smoking?  Inhaling to much Seatle forest fire ash? Like we have a choice.

--- End quote ---

What do they care, you can't sue em and they can't be held accountable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version