Author Topic: Here Are The 17 Republicans Who Voted Against Harvey, Debt Ceiling Bill  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Here Are The 17 Republicans Who Voted Against Harvey, Debt Ceiling Bill
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:17:13 pm »
Man, I don't know either.  My gut instinct is to be against it, but then I saw that McCain and Flake voted against it so I had to rethink my position.  Those two (and Graham) are never right about these things.
LOL! I think most everyone got painted into a corner by a hurricane. And the season isn't over yet.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 10:59:59 pm »
What Pork?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 11:17:39 pm »
What Pork?

I'm still looking  Apparently beefing up FEMA's supplies and giving the flood insurance program a shot in the arm is "pork."  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 11:26:43 pm »
I'm still looking  Apparently beefing up FEMA's supplies and giving the flood insurance program a shot in the arm is "pork."  :shrug:
One point five trillion in cut-free debt limit.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 11:33:29 pm »
One point five trillion in cut-free debt limit.

The 1.5 Trillion you talking about was happening anyway.  It's a lot, but it was a given.  Sooner or later you're talking about real money.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 11:48:14 pm »
The 1.5 Trillion you talking about was happening anyway.  It's a lot, but it was a given.  Sooner or later you're talking about real money.
Yes, the sticking point was tying specific cuts into the debt limit increase.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 11:50:29 pm »

I'm making an assumption Senator Sasse is being legit when he says

“Today, U.S. Senator Ben Sasse will file an amendment to reject the [Senate Minority Leader Chuck] Schumer fiscal deal and instead pass the same straightforward disaster relief package that passed the House of Representatives yesterday by a vote of 419-3,” Sasse’s news release read.

“Yesterday we saw Washington’s swamp continue to rise: Chuck Schumer wrote the art of the steal by taking hurricane relief hostage to guarantee a December showdown that favors Democratic spending priorities,” Sasse wrote. “Republicans should reject Schumer’s deal and instead pass the same clean aid package for Harvey victims that the House passed yesterday. My legislation would let Congress send a disaster relief bill to the President’s desk so we can help Americans in need right now and then get to work tackling the disorder in our fiscal house.”

Sasse posted the statement Thursday morning on Twitter, saying, “We should fund emergency hurricane relief. We shouldn’t spend other $ pretending it’s emergency hurricane relief.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/09/07/sen-ben-sasse-rejects-trump-schumer-pelosi-deal-introduces-clean-harvey-funding-bill/

I have not read the bill.  Nor will I ever.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 12:16:08 am »
That is a mixed bag of Senators

Paul, Lee and Grassley I like and respect. Toomey, Graham, McCain and Flake not so much.

I was thinking the same. McCain and Ron Johnson voting against the status quo? I wonder what the real reason was? This is just not like them.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 12:51:19 am »
Gotta wonder..

How the votes would be if the storm was on the west coast.. :shrug:

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 01:01:18 am »
I really don't quite understand what all the angst is about.  Especially when it relates to Ted Cruz's vote.  What part of "Lawmakers voted 80-17 in favor of sending the bill back to the House for renegotiations Thursday" did ya'll apparently miss?

The problem in Congress isn't Ted Cruz.  It's the ability of the rats/cretins to attach any pork or moist-dream agenda item to much-needed and legitimate legislation.  Change that process and it would fix 90% of what's wrong.  (just my two cents)
Wholeheartedly agree. Any the bundling shenanigans they pull provides political cover for their lack of guts to vote on straight bills.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 01:01:20 am »
Gotta wonder..

How the votes would be if the storm was on the west coast.. :shrug:
Or farther up the East...

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 02:57:47 am »
Yep. 

Trump 'should' have demanded a clean bill on the hurricane relief.  And then he could have gone on national TV and addressed the nation about how the rats were holding up that relief in Congress.  But noooo....

Still making payments to the Democratic party?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.