Author Topic: Suicide rate for young women highest for 20 years as experts warn of mental health crisis [GB]  (Read 399 times)

Offline Suppressed

Suicide rate for young women highest for 20 years as experts warn of mental health crisis [GB]
 Olivia Rudgard, social affairs correspondent
7 SEPTEMBER 2017 • 8:00PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/07/suicide-rate-young-women-highest-20-years-experts-warn-mental/

Suicide among women in their early twenties is at its highest level in two decades, ONS figures show, as experts warn of a mental health crisis among young women who struggle with the pressures of modern life and social media.

While the overall figures for Great Britain show rates are at a seven-year low, women aged between 20 and 24 are increasingly likely to die by suicide.

[...]

"We know that particularly for young women their rate of poor mental health is three times that of their male contemporaries.

[...]

In recent years suicide prevention campaigns have focused on men, who still have a much higher rate than women in all age groups and are more than three times more likely to die by suicide than women. The most at-risk group is men in their early 40s, among whom the rate is 23.7.

[...]

In England the overall rate fell from 10.1 to 9.5. "You'd have to go back more than three decades to find a drop as big as that in one year," he said.

However, he said that it was important to "keep an eye" on the figures for young people.

"There is a worry that we have a generation of young people who respond with self-harming behaviour to the stresses that they face," he said.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/07/suicide-rate-young-women-highest-20-years-experts-warn-mental/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I've seen studies here for rates starting to rise among 70 and 80 year olds.

I've also seen studies for women over 55 rising.

In my state, we are averaging one death a week by commuter train this year.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DB

Social media drowns many young people. It often consumes their lives preventing any real development/accomplishments from occurring.