Author Topic: Breaking- magnitude 8.1 earthquake in Mexico, tsunami confirmed  (Read 922 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DB

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Breaking- magnitude 8.1 earthquake in Mexico, tsunami confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:41 am »
Apologies on iPhone can't cut or paste. I have an earthquake app, which woke me up with a beep, then I got beeps from CNN, BBC, and AP on this story, so I knew it was big.

I just wanted to post it and go back to bed, because I felt it was important to do so. Maybe someone can post the article. Every news service should have it by now. And photos.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 07:37:58 am »
If this were a movie, we'd be finding out that North Korea was behind it all.  Or an Evil Genius behind Kim, too!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:13 am »
Apologies on iPhone can't cut or paste. I have an earthquake app, which woke me up with a beep, then I got beeps from CNN, BBC, and AP on this story, so I knew it was big.

I just wanted to post it and go back to bed, because I felt it was important to do so. Maybe someone can post the article. Every news service should have it by now. And photos.

Deadly earthquake hits off the coast of southern Mexico
CNN Digital Expansion Shoot, Joshua BerlingerMariano Castillo-Profile-Image
By Joshua Berlinger and Mariano Castillo, CNN
Updated 4:56 AM ET, Fri September 8, 2017

Follow CNN's live blog for more coverage

(CNN)The strongest earthquake to hit Mexico in a century struck off the the country's southern coast early Friday morning, killing at least five and triggering tsunamis.

The quake, which was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala City, hit Mexico's west coast as the country faces heavy rains from Hurricane Katia to the east. The epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean, some 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) southeast of the Mexican capital and 74 miles (120 kilometers) from its Pacific Coast.
Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto said the quake was the strongest earthquake Mexico has experienced in 100 years.

Latest updates
-- Peña Nieto said three people died in the state of Chiapas and two in Tabasco. Gov. Manuel Velasco said two of them died in a house collapse.

-- The states of Chiapas, which borders Guatemala, and Oaxaca were closest to the quake.

-- Some 23,000 people likely experienced violent shaking, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The USGS Pager system, which predicts economic and human loss following earthquakes, issued a red alert. "High casualties and extensive damage are probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Past red alerts have required a national or international response," it said.

-- A tsunami has been confirmed in Mexico, with one wave coming in at 3 feet (1 meter), according to a tweet from the National Weather Service's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center's verified account. The Tsunami Warning Center advised the public that tsunami waves could hit within three hours off the coasts of Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and even Ecuador.

-- The country's Army, Marines and Federal Police are being mobilized to respond, Peña Nieto said.

-- 800,000 people are without electricity, Peña Nieto said. Some people are lacking water service, and it may take 36-48 hours to get it back up and running.

-- A hotel in the Oaxaca collapsed and multiple homes in Chiapas collapsed, Peña Nieto said.

-- The USGS has reported multiple aftershocks, including four with tremors measuring above 5.0 in magnitude.

-- Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales activated security personnel to assess the damage.

[Excerpt.]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn