Author Topic: Trump Sides With Democrats on Interim Debt-Limit Fix, Harvey Aid  (Read 44569 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump Sides With Democrats on Interim Debt-Limit Fix, Harvey Aid
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »
The cultists will never get the message.

This sadly appears to be true.  But rest assured we won't stop praying for you and your comrades.  :0001:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

That's a tantrum on Trump's part.

I agree.  But...I expect that from him - he's a goober.  The real problem is that too many Republicans who are professional politicians and should know better have spent all their efforts lamenting that he's not Reagan, instead of acting like the damn adults in the room and figuring out how to play the hand they've been dealt.

I suspect they think it more important to ensure everyone understands that they are "better" than Trump, rather than risking social media wrath and just getting things done.

Offline endicom

« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2017, 03:16:16 pm »
The debt limit is the responsibility of Congress.

Disaster relief, though it shouldn't be, is the responsibility of the POTUS. A cyclonic Sword of Damocles over his head, Trump is doing what he must.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2017, 03:16:42 pm »
What? Did he screw up again this morning and I haven't heard about it? 

Your bitterness is eating away at your intellect.

Just thought you'd like to know.   :shrug:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: GOP livid after Trump cuts deal with Democrats
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2017, 03:16:46 pm »
The GOP Congress cut themselves out. Why are they worried about a 3 month debt ceiling tied to hurricane relief and budget negotiations? They got the votes to pass what they want.

Oh wait, they don't, because Mitch the B**** can't keep his troops in line, and won't even try, while Ryan just seems to want to thumb his nose at the idea.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:17:43 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2017, 03:18:26 pm »
GOP leaders have been tripping over themselves to be critical of Trump any time he's under attack.  The fact that Nancy Pelosi denounced Antifa before Ryan or McConnell did is embarassing.

This Congress hasn't shown the slightest inclination to do anything useful.  They've passed nothing, and don't seem remotely close to doing so.  And Senate Republicans are allowing Democrats to play procedural games to slow confirmations to a crawl.

At this point, I've pretty much given up hope that we'll get reform of Obamacare, taxes, or anything else of consequence.  So I'll settle for making the GOP Congress as miserable as possible.

Other than some temporary embarrassment, how does what Trump did negatively affect the GOP leadership? They still get their money.

This just gets the GOP off the short term political hook and sets the stage for a Grand Bargain in three months.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2017, 03:24:51 pm »
I wonder what else Trump will side with Democrats on down the road.  As in this case I will blame both Trump and the Republicans.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2017, 03:24:52 pm »
Harrumph.

(Nothing. I just wanted to get a word in before the fireworks started)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2017, 03:27:14 pm »
Other than some temporary embarrassment, how does what Trump did negatively affect the GOP leadership?

It doesn't.  But that embarrassment really stings, and now they'll have to worry that if they don't start getting stuff done, it will keep happening to them.  And that will kill them in the midterms.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:27:58 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2017, 03:29:57 pm »
Brilliant move by Trump.   

Instead of leading and building a good relationship with the GOP, by continuing to muck things up and put roadblocks in front of Congress, he can continue to whine like a baby that he's a victim and Congress isn't getting things done.
Well, they aren't. But all he did was hand the Democrats another opportunity to blackmail their pet projects in in three months. They're patient. If they can hand the taxpayer a pontoon sized suppository every three months, they'll be happy with that.
But everyone in DC gets to point the finger at someone else, while Chucky Schumer gets to be smug and run the show.

Did anyone here vote for that? Anyone?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2017, 03:30:24 pm »
I wonder what else Trump will side with Democrats on down the road.  As in this case I will blame both Trump and the Republicans.
Yep.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I agree.  But...I expect that from him - he's a goober.  The real problem is that too many Republicans who are professional politicians and should know better have spent all their efforts lamenting that he's not Reagan, instead of acting like the damn adults in the room and figuring out how to play the hand they've been dealt.

I suspect they think it more important to ensure everyone understands that they are "better" than Trump, rather than risking social media wrath and just getting things done.
Reality is that whatever the GOP can pass will cross his desk and get signed, with only rare exception. Time for the GOP to consolidate their feces and go to work.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Reality is that whatever the GOP can pass will cross his desk and get signed, with only rare exception. Time for the GOP to consolidate their feces and go to work.

Absolutely agree.  McConnell doesn't have an easy job with such a slim majority, but he's been making a bad situation worse.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Re: DeMint: Trump Deal With Dems a 'Betrayal'
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »
Why would we want to string out the debt ceiling another 18 months? The answer has been we don't want to give Dems leverage in budget negotiations in 3 months.

Problem is we have the majority in both houses of Congress and the Presidency, so what leverage do the Dems have?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:40:14 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2017, 03:41:44 pm »
Why would we want to string out the debt ceiling another 18 months? The answer has been we don't want to give Dems leverage in budget negotiations.

Problem is we have the majority in both houses of Congress and the Presidency, so what leverage do the Dems have?

Raising the debt ceiling has become nonsensical.  It's Kabuki theater at its worst.

Why delay the inevitable? Just raise the limit to $30 Trillion and be done with it for five years.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

Re: The Memo: Trump pulls off a stone-cold stunner
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2017, 03:42:03 pm »
Ridiculous statements like this, come from people that claim to have left the Republican Party, and claim to have not have voted for the Republican candidate.

Their participation in the process is greatly appreciated by Presidents Clinton, Castle and McMuffin.

So you and the other Trump supporters voted for him and what did you get?  A Democrat. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2017, 03:43:23 pm »
Harrumph.

Too late.  The fireworks started a few pages ago.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:07 pm »
So you and the other Trump supporters voted for him and what did you get?  A Democrat.

We got a guy who likely would sign almost anything this GOP Congress would pass.

The problem is that it won't pass anything.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »
Raising the debt ceiling has become nonsensical.  It's Kabuki theater at its worst.

Why delay the inevitable? Just raise the limit to $30 Trillion and be done with it for five years.

I guess I'd rather have the debt ceiling and budget negotiations coincide 3 months out and force the GOP to succed or fail. Let us know where things stand in terms of their leadership and what we'll be getting for the duration.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:39 pm »

Open memo to the Orange Brigade: move on, the election ended 10 months ago.

A better use of your time would be trying to persuade us to vote for him in 2020.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Wingnut

« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2017, 03:50:00 pm »
Harrumph.

It's just the usual suspects.  They won't give Give the Pres. a harrumph.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2017, 03:51:26 pm »
I guess I'd rather have the debt ceiling and budget negotiations coincide 3 months out and force the GOP to succed or fail. Let us know where things stand in terms of their leadership and what we'll be getting for the duration.

I think we all have a very good idea what we'll be getting for the duration of this Congress and President Trump's term.

****slapping :3: :banghead: :huh?:

Wingnut

« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2017, 03:53:00 pm »
Demint is still butthurt from being canned from the The Heritage Foundation.  He blames Trump.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Absolutely agree.  McConnell doesn't have an easy job with such a slim majority, but he's been making a bad situation worse.

I would agree with that if McConnell hadn't spent his entire time as Senate leader prior to Trump doing everything he could to undermine his own party and get everything he couldn't get Obama's agenda passed.

Mitch could get stuff done for the Republicans and the people that voted for him...if he really wanted to.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2017, 04:02:08 pm »
I think we all have a very good idea what we'll be getting for the duration of this Congress and President Trump's term.

****slapping :3: :banghead: :huh?:

Which is what I expect too, but they need to be forced to put it on record and have the light of day shined in them. No more stalling or kicking the can, just make or break.
The Republic is lost.