Author Topic: Chinese scientist warns North Korea's mountain nuclear testing site could implode, scatter radiation across region  (Read 1603 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Chinese scientist warns North Korea's mountain nuclear testing site could implode, scatter radiation across region

BY Brian Lisi
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Tuesday, September 5, 2017, 11:23 AM

They might be on the verge of Kim Jong Doom.

The mountain where North Korea possibly detonated its last five nuclear bombs may collapse if they test even one more weapon of mass destruction, a Chinese scientist claims, especially as they seek to increase the size of each blast.

"A 100 kiloton bomb is a relatively large bomb," former China Nuclear Society chairman Wang Naiyan told the South China Morning Post, in light of new findings that say the tests are being carried out at the same mountain at the Punggye-ri site.

Continued: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/north-korea-nuke-mountain-implode-scattering-radiation-article-1.3470368

An accident with them could be the best thing to happen... though, obviously, one would not want the radiation spread.

Offline Suppressed

Yeah, I think this is a bit overblown, but might be a bit of cover for China to up its pressure on the Norks.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

Yeah, I think this is a bit overblown, but might be a bit of cover for China to up its pressure on the Norks.

Wouldn't that just be a shame if NoKo blew itself up and radiated China in the process. 

Offline Suppressed

Wouldn't that just be a shame if NoKo blew itself up and radiated China in the process.

Well, they'd better hurry up.  I think the prevailing winds shift in the fall.

Right now, they could get Russia in the game!  https://www.windfinder.com/#7/38.989/127.606
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Wingnut

Well, they'd better hurry up.  I think the prevailing winds shift in the fall.

Right now, they could get Russia in the game!  https://www.windfinder.com/#7/38.989/127.606

Cool!  A two-fer!   

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
If China wanted to help, they could remove his regime. They don't want to help.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Suppressed

If China wanted to help, they could remove his regime. They don't want to help.

They like the buffer.

One interesting question does arise, though.  If the DPRK is out of the picture, does ROK move into China's sphere?  After all, much of China's population is obsessed with Korean culture, and there's a lot of interaction there.  Might we lose ROK to them?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:51:57 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
They like the buffer.

One interesting question does arise, though.  If the DPRK is out of the picture, does ROK move into China's sphere?  After all, much of China's population is obsessed with Korean culture, and there's a lot of interaction there.  Might we lose ROK to them?

Interesting geopolitical question. :pondering:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I can see their point. We certainly wouldn't want anything to befoul that pristine Chinese air and water.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: RT NEWS

URL: https://www.rt.com/news/402097-north-korea-nuclear-radiation/

The mountain where North Korea likely conducted its five most recent nuclear bomb tests could be at risk of collapse, potentially releasing radiation into the atmosphere, according to Chinese experts who measured shock waves caused by the blasts. Scientists from the seismic and deep earth physics laboratory at the University of Science and Technology of China in Hefei, Anhu province, believe the most recent tests were carried out under a mountain at North Korea's Punggye-ri test site, according to a statement published on their website.

The group's leader, geophysicist Wen Lianxing, believes the margin of error for their prediction to be no more than 100 meters, citing data collected by more than 100 earthquake monitoring sites.

The data set includes an earthquake which was registered eight minutes after North Korea's latest launch on Sunday, which Chinese authorities deemed a cave-in triggered by the explosion.

According to Wen's team, the energy released in Sunday’s test was about 108.3 kilotons of TNT, or 7.8 times the amount released by the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, by the US in 1945. It far surpassed all previous bombs tested by Pyongyang.

However, a team of scientists in Norway estimated the bomb was even more powerful, as much as 10 times greater than the Hiroshima bomb.

The Chinese team's findings, if accurate, could mean a major environmental disaster is on its way, with the next test potentially causing the entire mountain to cave in on itself, according to Wang Naiyan, the former chairman of the China Nuclear Society and a senior researcher on China's nuclear weapons program.

That would leave a hole venting radiation across the entire region.

“We call it ‘taking the roof off’. If the mountain collapses and the hole is exposed, it will let out many bad things," Wang said to the South China Morning Post.

Wang said the severity of the situation depends on where the North Koreans placed the bombs.

“If the bombs were planted at the bottom of vertically drilled tunnels, the explosion would do less damage,” he said.

However, such a scenario is unlikely, due to the fact that such tunnels are expensive and difficult to build. It's much easier, Wang said, to build a horizontal tunnel into the heart of the mountain - which increases the risk of "taking the roof off" the mountain.

(Excerpt) Read more at above link ...

Offline MOD4

Offline stephen50right

How many more reasons does the rest of the world need to take Fatboy Jong out?

Fatboy has got to go, any which way is fine by me.