Author Topic: DACA decision appears to shift to Congress, but action tough  (Read 826 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

DACA decision appears to shift to Congress, but action tough
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:14 pm »
DACA decision appears to shift to Congress, but action tough
CNN, Sep 4, 2017, Tal Kopan

President Donald Trump's expected decision to end DACA, but leave some time to save it, punts the popular program that protects young undocumented immigrants to Congress -- but passage of a legislative solution remains a steep uphill climb.

Trump is expected to announce Tuesday that he will end the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, but will offer a six-month delay to give Congress time to come up with a fix, according to sources familiar. Those sources have cautioned that this was the President's thinking as of Sunday night and could shift ahead of his scheduled Tuesday announcement.

Such a plan would put the issue on Congress' shoulders amidst a busy fall, squeezing Republican and Democratic leadership to decide what their bases could swallow to find a compromise that would keep the nearly 800,000 people who benefit from the program from having their lives upended.

As the administration has held meetings for weeks about how to respond to an ultimatum from 10 state attorneys general about the future of DACA, members of Congress have publicly and privately called on the administration to preserve the program long enough for a legislative fix.

<snip>

"Now the hot potato's back in their lap," said one senior lobbyist, who spoke on condition of anonymity to be candid. "Some Republicans would welcome the opportunity to show they're pro-Latino and do something on this, but on the other hand some would be just as happy to say 'hell no, we're not doing this because it's amnesty.' And so we've got (House Speaker Paul) Ryan in the hot seat figuring out where's his base and where does he go."

Ryan on Friday told a Wisconsin radio station that he wants Trump to keep DACA in place so Congress can work on a legislative solution. While he did not support Obama's creation of the program, he has been sympathetic to the so-called Dreamers benefited by it and said he has been having conversations about figuring out a path forward for them.

His office and the other leadership offices in Congress were all quiet on Monday, holding off comment until the President makes a formal announcement.

More:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/politics/daca-congress-trump-decision/

Re: DACA decision appears to shift to Congress, but action tough
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:54:12 pm »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Ryan will eff it up and McCain, hugging Chuckie all the way, will defeat it in the Senate because it's too tough on the children.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:04:30 am »
DACA Re-Amnesty Vote Jammed By Congress Calendar
Breitbart, Sep 3, 2017, Neil Munro

Congress’ gridlocked calendar will likely prevent amnesty advocates from reincarnating the DACA program before President Donald Trump formally ends the amnesty in March 2018.

But there’s little chance that a new push will succeed because Congress’ September calendar is packed with must-pass bills. In September, for example, legislators must pass an Obamacare overhaul, a debt-ceiling vote and an aid package for flooded Houston.

Moreover, Trump’s bipartisan anti-amnesty electorate is mobilized, and Democratic legislators remember the painful lesson of the bipartisan “Comprehensive Immigration Reform” in 2013 and 2014. Because of that 2014 mid-year election, the Democrats lost 10 Senate seats, Republican Sen. Mitch McConnell became Majority Leader, and real-estate investor Donald Trump moved closer towards his run for the White House.

The calls for a quick-fire amnesty began late on Sunday when White House officials leaked the news that Trump will let the legally wobbly DACA program end in March 2018. That timeline immediately meant that the party’s Latino and progressive lobbies began a high-temperature push for an amnesty for the 800,000 illegals who now have DACA work permits. Rep. Joaquin Castro sent an early tweet:

Mexican-born, Spanish-language TV anchor Jorge Ramos also cranked up the amnesty campaign, tweeting:

<snip>

Once Congress has shoved its way through the must-pass items on September’s calendar, it must also pass another set of must-do activities in October. They include the 2018 government budget, plus the border wall, and the tax bill.

Those requirements — especially the budget bills — will slip and slide their way into November and then December, leaving little time for a painful amnesty fight, especially because the voters can make themselves heard and felt during the Thanksgiving and Christmas recesses.

January is for rest and recovery, February is for getting back to the congressional routine, and March is when people start muttering about impending primaries.

The bigger problem for amnesty activists is that Americans really do not want an amnesty, and they’re going to get a vote in 15 months. That’s when ten Democratic Senators will face voters in states which Trump won in November 2o16.

More:  http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/09/03/daca-re-amnesty-vote-jammed-congress-calendar/

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:19:50 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:33:26 am »
   If I'm not mistaken DACA is a Memo, not even an EO. It is UN Constitutional and the President should have dumped it on Day 1 as he promised his voters he would for a year.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:09:03 am »
   If I'm not mistaken DACA is a Memo, not even an EO. It is UN Constitutional and the President should have dumped it on Day 1 as he promised his voters he would for a year. 

Are you going to frog march 800,000 kids to the border without giving Congress a chance to act---a chance the Republican Caucus has pleaded for?

Or are you willing to let Congress fail yet again .... and allow the termination order to take effect in March?

Think it through ....

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 01:18:17 am »
Are you going to frog march 800,000 kids to the border without giving Congress a chance to act---a chance the Republican Caucus has pleaded for?

Or are you willing to let Congress fail yet again .... and allow the termination order to take effect in March?

Think it through ....

No frogmarching necessary. Just sh*tcan the order. Let a policy of increasing border enforcement take its eventual course.

He wouldn't even have to involve congress.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:22:39 am »
   Hell, @Right_in_Virginia I was ready for his 'Deportation Force' that he also campaigned on, it was just Red Meat then just as it is now.  I'm not overly concerned (nothing I can do) nor am I surprised by this. The Chamber and Ivanka are powerful influences in the Trump WH.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 02:08:32 am »

Think it through ....

They can get in their G-damned cars and drive themselves back.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 03:26:27 am »
There is not much to like about President Barrack Obama.  I voted against him twice, but he wasn't always wrong.  He did extend and eventually made permanent many of President Dubya's sunsetted taxcuts.  Taxes are important to me, because I have a job. 

Illegal immigration isn't nearly as important to me as tax cuts...give me a middle class tax cut and I'll cheer "Jews will not replace us!" as loud as Richard Spencer, Jared Taylor, or any other Trump supporter...all I ask is a little fair warning before the Polocks get rounded up.

but I have to agree with President Obama that DACA is the least a civilized society can do to take the edge off a problem America has endured since it's founding.

I'd be surprised if the GOP has the intelligence to pass DACA as legislation.   It is probably their best chance to pass any legislation at all this year or next.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 05:31:54 am »
   Hold on to your Sanity Briefers, Ryan and McConnell are back in the morning and they are gonna try and use Harvey Funding as a vehicle to cram a lot more down our throats, debt ceiling increases and some bullshit about codifying some DACA perhaps and Trump will sign anything right now, he can always later blame the two aforementioned azzholes.