Author Topic: North Korea Crisis Live Thread - Latest NK Updates  (Read 47468 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: North Korea Crisis Live Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:53 pm »
North Korea defector: News of Kim Jong Un made me leave

NEW YORK, Nov. 30 (UPI) -- Radio broadcasts are changing North Korean perceptions of the outside world as Kim Jong Un may be proving to be an increasingly unpopular leader.

Kim Hyeong-soo, 54, told UPI by Skype from South Korea that he left North Korea because he could not imagine a future where Kim Jong Un, the third member of the ruling family, was running the country.

"I was inspired to leave North Korea after hearing U.S. and South Korean radio broadcasts filtering in," Kim Hyeong-soo said.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/11/30/North-Korea-defector-News-of-Kim-Jong-Un-made-me-leave/3291512056706/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2017, 05:19:42 pm »
What North Korean photos say about new ballistic missile

FINANCE   

Associated Press   
ERIC TALMADGE
Associated PressNovember 29, 2017
 0:141:08   

TOKYO (AP) — North Korea released dozens of photos Thursday of the Hwasong-15, a new intercontinental ballistic missile it claims can reach any target in the continental United States. The photo dump, published in the paper and online editions of the ruling party's official daily, is a goldmine for rocket experts trying to parse reality from bluster.

Their general conclusion is that it's bigger, more advanced and comes with a domestically made mobile launcher that will make it harder than ever to pre-emptively destroy. But there's a potentially major catch: it might not have the power to go much farther than the West Coast if it is loaded down with a real nuclear warhead, not a dummy like the one it carried in its test launch on Wednesday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/north-korean-photos-ballistic-missile-053212236.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2017, 04:23:56 pm »
Posted in editorials:

Patrick Buchanan: Little Rocket Man's Risky Game
By Patrick J. Buchanan | December 1, 2017 | 5:56 AM EST

In the morning darkness of Wednesday, Kim Jong-un launched an ICBM that rose almost 2,800 miles into the sky before falling into the Sea of Japan.

North Korea now has the proven ability to hit Washington, D.C.

Unproven still is whether Kim can put a miniaturized nuclear warhead atop that missile, which could be fired with precision, and survive the severe vibrations of re-entry. More tests and more time are needed for that.

Thus, U.S. markets brushed off the news of Kim's Hwasong-15 missile and roared to record heights on Wednesday and Thursday.

Read more at: https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/patrick-j-buchanan/little-rocket-mans-risky-game

Offline TomSea

« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2017, 02:08:22 pm »
North Korean soldier’s survival is ‘truly a miracle,’ says American rescue crew
https://www.facebook.com/annafifield

TOKYO — When the injured soldier was loaded onto into the Black Hawk helicopter, Sgt. 1st Class Gopal Singh, on his last mission as a flight medic, said a prayer. He did not think the man, who had been shot five times, was going to survive.

“I could tell immediately that this guy was probably going to die in the next 15 minutes if we didn’t start working on him and get the aircraft off the ground,” said Singh, a medic in the Eighth Army’s 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade, stationed at Camp Humphreys in South Korea.

The evacuation crew did not know it then, but their patient was a North Korean soldier who had just made a daring dash for freedom across the Joint Security Area, the neutral section in the demilitarized zone where enemy troops stand face-to-face.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/north-korean-soldiers-survival-istruly-a-miracle-says-american-rescue-crew/2017/12/01/2595ee42-d5c3-11e7-9461-ba77d604373d_story.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2017, 01:40:35 pm »
According to this aircrew, the missile did not survive re-entry.  Expect more launches soon.

'Blew up and fell apart'

Described by Pyongyang as its "most powerful" missile, the 29 November launch ended up in Japanese waters but flew higher than any other the North had previously tested.

According to the South China Morning Post, Cathay's general manager of operations Mark Hoey told staff in a message that "today the crew of CX893 reported, 'Be advised, we witnessed the DPRK missile blow up and fall apart near our current location'".

The launch was reportedly also witnessed by two South Korean aircraft en route to Seoul from the US.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42218615

Offline TomSea

« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2017, 09:10:54 am »
US, Japan, South Korea to Hold Missile Tracking Drill Amid North Korea Crisis
By Reuters

The United States, Japan and South Korea will hold two days of missile tracking drills starting on Monday, Japan’s Maritime Self-Defence Force said, as tensions rise in the region over North Korea‘s fast-developing weapons programmes.

The United States and South Korea conducted large-scale military drills last week, which the North said made the outbreak of war “an established fact”.

North Korea has fired missiles over Japan as it pursues nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles in defiance of U.N. sanctions and international condemnation. On Nov. 29, it test-fired an intercontinental ballistic missile which it said was its most advanced yet, capable of reaching the mainland United States.

Continued at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-japan-south-korea-to-hold-missile-tracking-drill-amid-north-korea-crisis_2383665.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2017, 02:31:36 am »
Antiwar.com:
Upbeat South Korea Expects Talks With North in 2018
Unification Ministry Sees an Opening for Talks
Jason Ditz Posted on December 26, 2017Categories NewsTags North Korea, South Korea, Trump   

South Korea’s Unification Ministry has offered a new report on Tuesday, a collection of predictions and expectations for the year to come. Unlike other recent reports, the ministry offered a surprisingly upbeat outlook for the next year, despite a very tense 2017.

South Korea now expects that North Korea will, at some point in 2018, enter into direct talks with the United States, seeking to become recognized as a de facto nuclear power, seeing North Korea’s priority as shifting to the talks themselves.

Source: http://news.antiwar.com/2017/12/26/upbeat-south-korea-expects-talks-with-north-in-2018/

Interesting website, is off-limits at TOS (sounds like antiwar.com told them not to post their stories); I frequently disagree with their viewpoint but they are one of those news conglomeration websites and often have articles one might ordinarily miss.

This story looks like it was probably assembled largely from other news sources.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2018, 05:35:46 pm »
North Korean Nuclear Scientist Commits Suicide on Forced Return From China
2017-12-28

A North Korean nuclear scientist who defected to China has killed himself after being forced home, taking poison in a state security cell while awaiting interrogation, RFA has learned.

The defector, a researcher in the physics center of the State Academy of Sciences in Pyongyang, was one of a group of North Koreans detained in Shenyang city, China, on Nov. 4 and sent back on Nov. 17, a source in North Hamgyong province told RFA’s Korean Service this week.

“He killed himself only a few hours after he was placed in solitary confinement at the State Security Department in Sinuiju city” just across the border from China, RFA’s source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Read more at: http://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/return-12282017153555.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2018, 02:07:18 am »
A number of sources are saying this whole matter is now dying down.

We know we can't trust NK; but I guess this is better than outright bad news.

Offline edpc

« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2018, 02:13:04 am »
A number of sources are saying this whole matter is now dying down.

We know we can't trust NK; but I guess this is better than outright bad news.

Things are probably dying down from a rhetoric standpoint, but you can believe they are still in the process of figuring out their biggest technical issue - a survivable re-entry vehicle.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2018, 03:42:00 pm »
JANUARY 6, 2018 / 2:46 PM / UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO
Trump says he would 'absolutely' talk to North Korea's Kim on phone
James Oliphant
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-northkorea/trump-says-he-would-absolutely-talk-to-north-koreas-kim-on-phone-idUSKBN1EV0OC

CAMP DAVID, Md. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he would “absolutely” be willing to talk on the phone to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and that he hopes a positive development results from talks between North Korea and South Korea.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2018, 03:05:18 pm »
North Korea nuclear test site has 'significant' work underway: report

Lukas Mikelionis is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @LukasMikelionis.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un celebrates what was said to be the test launch of a Hwasong-12 missile, in an undated government photo that was distributed Sept. 16, 2017.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un celebrates what was said to be the test launch of a Hwasong-12 missile, in an undated government photo that was distributed Sept. 16, 2017.  (Korean Central News Agency/Korea News Service via Associated Press)

“Significant tunneling” has been detected at North Korea’s Punggye-ri nuclear test site, according to a Washington-based think tank specializing in tracking the Hermit Kingdom's activities.

Satellite images from December show increasing efforts to maintain the test site where North Korea has conducted the last six underground nuclear tests, claims a report Thursday by 38 North. The publication is run by Johns Hopkins University.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/01/12/north-korea-nuclear-test-site-has-significant-work-underway-report.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2018, 04:46:59 am »
Trump Accuses Russia of Helping North Korea Evade Sanctions
Peter Heinlein
WHITE HOUSE —

U.S. President Donald Trump has accused Russia of helping North Korea evade international sanctions, and said Pyongyang is making daily progress in its quest to develop ballistic missiles that can reach the United States.

In an Oval Office interview with Reuters Wednesday, Trump praised China for its efforts to restrict oil and coal supplies to North Korea but said Beijing could do much more to help constrain Pyongyang. But he said Russia appears to be filling in the gaps left by the Chinese.

On Russia, North Korea

“Russia is not helping us at all with North Korea,” Trump told Reuters. “What China is helping us with, Russia is denting. In other words, Russia is making up for some of what China is doing.”He suggested that Russian President Vladimir Putin might deliberately be subverting the sanctions.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/a/trump-accuses-russia-of-helping-north-korea-evade-sanctions/4212483.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2018, 05:26:24 pm »
The US appears to be quietly preparing for nuclear war with North Korea
Alex Lockie

Despite the appearance of thawing tensions with North Korea, both Washington and Pyongyang have made several steps that suggest things could escalate soon.
    The US has quietly moved heavy firepower like nuclear bombers and aircraft carriers to the region.
    On the sidelines of important diplomatic meetings, talk of military action has been ever present, if not front and center.

While most of the world celebrates the progress from pre-Olympic inter-Korean talks and the apparent thaw in tensions between North Korea and the world, the US has taken steps to move heavy firepower to the region.

Continued at: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-appears-quietly-preparing-nuclear-war-north-korea-2018-1

Take with a grain of salt, who knows? The author goes on to mention the possibility of a "bloody nose" attack which has been discussed before. Perhaps, this is just a rehashing of that story. Business Insider is okay,  that doesn't mean all of their stories are so.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »
Take with a grain of salt, who knows? The author goes on to mention the possibility of a "bloody nose" attack which has been discussed before. Perhaps, this is just a rehashing of that story. Business Insider is okay,  that doesn't mean all of their stories are so.

The united states has been preparing for Nuke war with other countries since the Rooskies started work on thier 1st bomb.  This is not concerning in the least.  It just feeds the sheeple.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2018, 05:37:53 pm »
I was really worried about all of this until I found out nuclear weapons are a hoax.

http://abeldanger.blogspot.com/2016/03/nuclear-weapons-are-hoax-nuclear-power.html?m=1

Where do people come up with this stuff?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:45:04 pm by edpc »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:41 pm »
I was really worried about all of this until I found out nuclear weapons are a hoax.

http://abeldanger.blogspot.com/2016/03/nuclear-weapons-are-hoax-nuclear-power.html?m=1

Where do people come up.with this stuff?

I feel so much better...no, maybe not.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2018, 05:41:52 pm »
China secretly bought North Korean coal as US watched from above: report
Fox News

The Glory Hope 1 is shown in a satellite picture, where it reportedly took on illicit North Korean coal.  (U.S. photo submitted to the United Nations)

At least six cargo ships linked to China furtively violated U.N. sanctions by taking on North Korean coal late last year, potentially providing a significant boost to the rogue regime's coffers, the U.S. alleges.

The U.N. Security Council in August hit North Korea with sanctions that were projected to cut nearly $1 billion from its annual exports revenue of roughly $3 billion, banning exports of coal, iron ore, and other products.

Read more at: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/01/19/china-secretly-bought-north-korean-coal-as-us-watched-from-above-report.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2018, 05:49:25 pm »
It's almost like China and Russia aren't our friends...

Offline TomSea

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2018, 02:31:21 pm »
Trump Sends "Silent Death" Ship to NK Conflict Zone

By Chris Golden
January 17, 2018 at 6:48am

Kim Jong Un is about to come face to face with yet more American naval power in the Pacific, and the latest addition sent by the Trump administration could rain down “silent death” on his North Korean regime.

According to Stars and Stripes, the USS Wasp — an amphibious assault ship with stealth attack capabilities — has been deployed to Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan, joining the 7th Fleet’s show of force against Pyongyang. The ship will be replacing the USS Bonhomme Richard as the flagship of Task Force 76.

One of the key features of the Wasp is that it’s been modified to carry F-35B Lightning II stealth aircraft, allowing for nearly silent strikes against the North Koreans should the situation arise.

Continued at: https://conservativetribune.com/trump-sends-silent-death/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=idealmedia&utm_campaign=conservativetribune.com&utm_term=68763&utm_content=2176790

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2018, 01:50:17 am »
"Kim Jong Un is about to come face to face with yet more American naval power in the Pacific, and the latest addition sent by the Trump administration could rain down “silent death” on his North Korean regime."

I think the "Little Un" is sucking his bottle with wet diapers.

I agree with you @Wingnut.
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:51 pm »

Where do people come up with this stuff?

I guess that cat scratcher "could" be a fake, too.  Give me a break!  I have watched those videos so many times.  Baker is my favorite of all.

*****rollingeyes*****
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2018, 02:46:29 pm »

:beer:  Just don't make a habit of that.  You might lose your street cred round here.  :whistle:

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2018, 02:51:45 pm »
"Kim Jong Un is about to come face to face with yet more American naval power in the Pacific, and the latest addition sent by the Trump administration could rain down “silent death” on his North Korean regime."

I think the "Little Un" is sucking his bottle with wet diapers.

@Slip18

No, he thinks America will back down.  And if we don't he doesn't care.   He considers it a fair trade to die if he gets to kill a bunch of Americans.   So do those around him who have power.

The one thing he probably won't do it attack China or South Korea, unless they attack him first.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2018, 03:48:58 pm »
North Korea "months away" from ability to hit U.S. with nuclear weapon -U.S. envoy
Thomson Reuters Foundation

* U.S. and North Korea clash at U.N. disarmament forum

* N. Korea may be "months away" from missile able to reach US

* U.S. says Pyongyang "charm offensive frankly is fooling no one"

* North Korea envoy says Washington considering pre-emptive strike (Adds more quotes from U.S. envoy Wood, Korean envoy)

By Stephanie Nebehay

GENEVA, Feb 6 (Reuters) - North Korea is only months away from obtaining the capability to hit U.S. territory with a nuclear weapon and must be disarmed, a U.S. envoy said on Tuesday, dismissing Pyonyang's diplomatic thaw with South Korea as a "charm offensive" that fooled no one.

More: http://news.trust.org/item/20180206115222-xhu2b