Author Topic: Replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day is a long overdue victory for civil rights  (Read 2339 times)

Offline goatprairie

The natives had to put up with real 'climate change', from the flooding of the coasts ca 12000 years ago, to the shift northward of temperate zones. to the shift in megafauna. I have little doubt that had some effect, and the Anasazi ruins, although much younger than the greatest temperature shifts, indicate that areas which once supported folks no longer did.  The idea that a reduction in population either preceded or coincided with the arrival of folks with new germs is not so unusual, and has some support.

How many? Dunno, don't pretend to. Indians in the SW were very good at hiding, not just from Conquistadores, but right up to the Chiricahua Apache--if they didn't want to be seen, they usually were not, so Cortez could have wandered until his horses wore down like dachshunds, and it would not have made any difference if they did not want to reveal their presence or numbers. I think some estimates are likely too high, and others too low.
In the wake of the melting glaciers lot of the upper Americas was flooded. There was glacial Lake Agassiz that incorporated large parts of the area around upper Minnesota and Lake Superior.
But with the receding glaciers, much of that excess water was drained due to isostatic rebound.  It's took a long time for the depressed earth to rise up after the trillions of tons of ice had melted.
Which is why Canada still has many trillions of tons of water in their landscape while only the upper  U.S. has natural lakes not close to the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many natural lakes Canada has.  Whenever I fly back from a trip to Britain (to visit the wife's kin) I marvel at the numerous lakes over the Canadian landscape I see as we pass over.
When the wife and I drive out west from Wisconsin to Minnesota and the states beyond, I can't help thinking and marveling that just 150 -200 years  earlier most of the farmland I see in the midwest into S. Dakota was tallgrass prairie inhabited by only scattered Indian tribes.
But even with modern civilization most of the land is remarkably "empty" if you know what I mean.  Which one of the big reasons I love going out west.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Can they stop speaking Spanish, too?

@Smokin Joe

OUCH!

Not to mention Eubonics,which is nothing more than "slave English".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline andy58-in-nh

I like it "Loafers day"

I like it, too: "Non-Workers of the World, Unite!! You have nothing to lose but your hammocks!"
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In the wake of the melting glaciers lot of the upper Americas was flooded. There was glacial Lake Agassiz that incorporated large parts of the area around upper Minnesota and Lake Superior.
But with the receding glaciers, much of that excess water was drained due to isostatic rebound.  It's took a long time for the depressed earth to rise up after the trillions of tons of ice had melted.
Which is why Canada still has many trillions of tons of water in their landscape while only the upper  U.S. has natural lakes not close to the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many natural lakes Canada has.  Whenever I fly back from a trip to Britain (to visit the wife's kin) I marvel at the numerous lakes over the Canadian landscape I see as we pass over.
When the wife and I drive out west from Wisconsin to Minnesota and the states beyond, I can't help thinking and marveling that just 150 -200 years  earlier most of the farmland I see in the midwest into S. Dakota was tallgrass prairie inhabited by only scattered Indian tribes.
But even with modern civilization most of the land is remarkably "empty" if you know what I mean.  Which one of the big reasons I love going out west.
Inarguably, there were fewer resources out west, and those moved around, so you either hunted or fished for what was in season, or you moved with it. Even now, the population is relatively sparse compared to the coasts. But when the Europeans got here, there were well established and sedentary communities all over those seaboards and related watersheds, especially in the coastal regions. The same areas that were heavily populated then are heavily populated now, for the same reasons: river (highway, because the water was the most efficient means of transporting large amounts of anything that couldn't walk on its own) access, resources, fishing, trade, fertile land, timber (at the time). Few coastal areas in the US have large amounts of suitable building stone, so the common material was wood, and that does not generally persist, especially in an environment rife with termites and carpenter ants. IOW, the river terrace that seems like a meadow today may well have been a stockaded village then (We found one when I worked on an Archaeological Crew in Virginia in '78). So much of that has been built over and/or cultivated, mined for sand and gravel, etc., that the true extent of those habitations will never be known, and whatever existed in the vast Eastern/Gulf coastal plains flooded by the rise in sea level after the ice age will not likely be known unless there is another one, if then.

One other thing, is that we tend to think of dry, solid ground as the preferred route of travel in the age of the wheel and especially motorized transport. When waterways and pack animals are the best means available, and are, for the most part, more practical than wheels, the value of real estate that many would not value today increases significantly. Coastal Marshes and swamps are seen as curiosities, impediments, and hazards by those who prefer the wheel, but become transport media and resource-rich areas to those who learn them and their resources. Wildlife (food) abounds in such areas for those who know how to find it.

Similarly, the western canyonlands and badlands areas which seem so uninhabitable become a refuge to those who are not limited by wheeled access and who know the resources available and where and how to find them, despite those resources being limited.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

OUCH!

Not to mention Eubonics,which is nothing more than "slave English".
"Ebonics" is just a northern urbanized street version of Gullah, an ethnic dialect spoken in parts of the south, esp. an island off South Carolina.
As a child I was chastised more than once for sliding into that dialect, picked up from some of my playmates.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis