Author Topic: 5 Bad Habits That May Increase Your Risk of Prediabetes  (Read 1134 times)

rangerrebew

5 Bad Habits That May Increase Your Risk of Prediabetes
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:05:19 pm »
5 Bad Habits That May Increase Your Risk of Prediabetes

By Stephanie Bucklin
    Reviewed by Lynn Grieger, RDN

How Certain Habits May Affect Your Prediabetes Risk

If diabetes runs in your family, you may be worried about eventually developing the disease yourself. After all, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), prediabetes — the precursor to type 2 diabetes — affects one out of three Americans, or about 84 million people, and 90 percent of those individuals are unaware they have it.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2-diabetes/diet/bad-habits-may-increase-your-risk-prediabetes/

Offline Applewood

Re: 5 Bad Habits That May Increase Your Risk of Prediabetes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:07:44 pm »
Some good points. 

About eating out.  The author talks about picking something healthy.  Well, I hate to tell him/her, but nothing on a restaurant's menu is truly healthy.  Even the so-called healthy choices are laden with carbs, fat and sodium. 

Which is why, as a diabetic (with heart disease and other afflictions), I don't eat out too often anymore.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 05:17:14 pm »
Last week I went for a blood draw and then into my Doc for follow up on asthama and coughing issues, I'm prone to pneumonia so don't take chances. The NP I saw brought up my blood test results and started to freak me out that my poassium level was critically low and I needed to get to the ER immediately because I was at risk of a coronary !!! Also, and germain to this, I was told that I was beyound pre diabetes and it was mandatory that they prescribe meds. We'll see, if the test was as accurate as the one for my potassium, they drew blood at the ER and my potassium was more than comfortably in the normal range, I think I'll try and be more careful with my diet instead of throwing more meds in the mix. :pondering:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 05:48:38 pm »
@GtHawk

When I was diagnosed, the doctor did not rely on one blood draw, but several.  Also, there had to be fasting.  One blood draw does not necessarily mean you are a full blown diabetic. 

Whether you might need medication may depend on a number of factors, including other health conditions.  When I was diagnosed, I had already had a cardiac arrest and other tests confirmed kidney disease.  Plus I was obese.  Diet and exercise would not work at that stage.

There is an assortment of new meds out there, but my doctor believes in the old ones.  He figures since they have been around for a while, the side effects, interactions and risks are well known as well as whether or not they are effective.  A lot of the newer meds might have problems we aren't aware of yet.  Besides, the oldies all have generic equivalents and are cheap with prescription insurance coverage.  I just paid $7.50 for 90 days of Glipizide.   Not bad. 

I've had no problems with Glipizide.  Just beware if the doctor prescribes Metformin.  It works well for a lot of people, but I had some bad side effects.  I didn't complete even the first bottle. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:24:46 pm »
@GtHawk

When I was diagnosed, the doctor did not rely on one blood draw, but several.  Also, there had to be fasting.  One blood draw does not necessarily mean you are a full blown diabetic. 

Whether you might need medication may depend on a number of factors, including other health conditions.  When I was diagnosed, I had already had a cardiac arrest and other tests confirmed kidney disease.  Plus I was obese.  Diet and exercise would not work at that stage.

There is an assortment of new meds out there, but my doctor believes in the old ones.  He figures since they have been around for a while, the side effects, interactions and risks are well known as well as whether or not they are effective.  A lot of the newer meds might have problems we aren't aware of yet.  Besides, the oldies all have generic equivalents and are cheap with prescription insurance coverage.  I just paid $7.50 for 90 days of Glipizide.   Not bad. 

I've had no problems with Glipizide.  Just beware if the doctor prescribes Metformin.  It works well for a lot of people, but I had some bad side effects.  I didn't complete even the first bottle.
To be fair it's not the first time they trew warnings at me about my risk level, what I didn't don't like is being told that a drug is mandatory, not to me I decide to take it or not. Right now I am taking it all seriously until follow up tests are conducted and confirm the need.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:42:13 pm »
To be fair it's not the first time they trew warnings at me about my risk level, what I didn't don't like is being told that a drug is mandatory, not to me I decide to take it or not. Right now I am taking it all seriously until follow up tests are conducted and confirm the need.

Your health care should be your decision, with the help and advice of your doctor.  I don't like for anyone to dictate to me...which is why I would not do well under government run health care.

That said, diabetes is serious business and you never want to fool around with it.  Untreated or improperly treated, it can have some serious and potentially fatal consequences.  I know this from personal experience.  Just be prepared for the possibility that diet and exercise may not be enough and you may end up with meds.