Author Topic: It may be premature to blame global warming for Harvey  (Read 1021 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It may be premature to blame global warming for Harvey
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:47:17 pm »
http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/01/don-paul-it-may-be-premature-to-blame-global-warming-for-harvey/

by Don Paul
September 1, 2017

In my article this week about Hurricane Harvey, I noted ongoing warming may not have “caused” Harvey, but could have contributed to the enormity of the unprecedented rainfall by heating waters in the nearby Gulf to above average. That would increase the amount of evaporation into the atmosphere, leading to more “precipitable water” available for rainfall.

In scientific principle, what I wrote is probably correct. Those who are familiar with my writing for The News know I have written extensively of the overwhelming evidence of a warming climate, and of the evidence human activity is responsible for most of that warming.

Yet in the midst of this horrific and continuing disaster, some of us may be overstating the role of a warming climate in the ferocity of Harvey’s rainfall. As I mentioned, we have had many storms of Harvey’s intensity long before warming accelerated in the 1980s, and we also have had enormous flooding events from slow-moving, weakening tropical cyclones after landfall before the warming sped up.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: It may be premature to blame global warming for Harvey
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »
Note: Don Paul's been a TV meteorologist in my area for over 30 years now. He's a liberal Democrat to be sure, and a firm believer in the AGW hypothesis, but he's good at what he does.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 05:10:30 pm »
Ya think?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 05:13:46 pm »
He lost me in the first sentence.  "Ongoing warming"  my a$$!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »
The whole point of me posting it is that even those who believe in AGW think it's inappropriate to blame Harvey on it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 05:25:49 pm »
The whole point of me posting it is that even those who believe in AGW think it's inappropriate to blame Harvey on it.

I understand that.  I just wanted to note his instensense on getting his propaganda in early.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »

The "ongoing warming" of which he speaks is in fact, a real phenomenon.

And it is not a natural, but a man-made phenomenon... consequent to the intentional manipulation of data, both current and future, by politicized "scientists" in pursuit of lucrative personal outcomes.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 06:18:55 pm »

And it is not a natural, but a man-made phenomenon... consequent to the intentional manipulation of data, both current and future, by politicized "scientists" in pursuit of lucrative personal outcomes.

hah hah Man Made indeed. More like "cacogen-created". heh

hah hah  the weatherman is "good at what he does"...I guess by that it means reading his lines and pointing at a green screen while watching a monitor? Meteorology is not climatology.

Point of information on AGW. It's what is known as a "speculative conjecture" not a scientific hypothesis nor even a theory (such things may be tested by experimentation and observation). Every single assertion and prediction made by AGW proponents has failed. ALL OF THEM. Not a single prediction of the so-called "models" of atmospheric black body radiation retention driven ostensibly by carbon forcing has proven true. Most of the time the predictions actually show the reverse of what they predict (cooling instead of warming). A theory becomes workable when testing and observation confirm the theoretical model (examples; photon theory, electroweak theory, molecular theory, gravity theory, atomic theory). Conjectures which are not sustained by confirmed observations are usually classified as "false conjectures" except in the case of AGW.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:22:37 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 06:23:56 pm »
hah hah Man Made indeed. More like "cacogen-created". heh

hah hah  the weatherman is "good at what he does"...I guess by that it means reading his lines and pointing at a green screen while watching a monitor? Meteorology is not climatology.

Point of information on AGW. It's what is known as a "speculative conjecture" not a scientific hypothesis nor even a theory (such things may be tested by experimentation and observation). Every single assertion and prediction made by AGW proponents has failed. ALL OF THEM. Not a single prediction of the so-called "models" of atmospheric black body radiation retention driven ostensibly by carbon forcing has proven true. Most of the time the predictions actually show the reverse of what they predict (cooling instead of warming). A theory becomes workable when testing and observation confirm the theoretical model (example, photon theory, electroweak theory, molecular theory, gravity theory). Conjectures which are not sustained by confirmed observations are usually classified as "false conjectures" except in the case of AGW.

Did you really read my post thoroughly, or did you just react to it?

I was accusing AGW proponents of fraud.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 06:28:22 pm »
Did you really read my post thoroughly, or did you just react to it?

I was accusing AGW proponents of fraud.

Of course I got that. the " hah hah" is usually taken as representing enjoyment of the intended humor. Did you feel attacked? Please note the term "point of information". That usually means that the initial premise is not being challenged, only clarified. AGW does not even deserve to be called a theory. Complimenting your fine post, not challenging it?
Sorry if you felt attacked.

I thought your post was excellent!! 888high58888
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:31:36 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 07:27:31 pm »
Of course I got that. the " hah hah" is usually taken as representing enjoyment of the intended humor. Did you feel attacked? Please note the term "point of information". That usually means that the initial premise is not being challenged, only clarified. AGW does not even deserve to be called a theory. Complimenting your fine post, not challenging it?
Sorry if you felt attacked.

I thought your post was excellent!! 888high58888

Honestly, I wasn't certain. Not your fault at all, though. It's just been a little "touchy" around here lately.     :beer:

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 07:42:40 pm »
This thread is...

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:55:40 pm »
This thread is...

hah hah that's better than what WTF would have posted. So thanks for your restraint. Here's an example:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:02:44 pm »

Well yeah!  But that doesn't mean there is ACTUAL "ongoing" warming does it?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LateForLunch

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:02:04 pm »
Well yeah!  But that doesn't mean there is ACTUAL "ongoing" warming does it?

He was joking. It was a jest. I posted similarly (seriously) to the joke. You are right of course Man-Who-Wishes-to-Dissolve-the-IRS. Any measurements of average global atmospheric temperature (measured over  time) showing elevation, are either within the margin of error or indicates the opposite (cooling). Global Warming, (man-caused or otherwise), is by all strong evidence, a product of data-manipulation (falsification, tampering under pretext of "adjusting") or willful "expert" misrepresentation (obfuscation, bald-faced lying by amoral 'Crats with technical degrees). Just as the Soviet Union, the AGW fanatics have fallen back on the only way they can garner support from the population, raw mendacity.

I always like to ask this question of ecoparanoid AGW fanatics:

Q: What is the coldest thing in the universe? Dry ice? Liquid nitrogen.? Liquid oxygen?

A: The empty space, in which our planet will be wholly and utterly immersed every single moment, of every single day, for the rest of time is far colder than the coldest substance we could possibly create. Without the warmth of the sun, our planet would freeze solid right down to its core.

So really our problem is about as far from global warming as could possibly be imagined. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:10:29 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 02:23:15 pm »

So really our problem is about as far from global warming as could possibly be imagined.

Yes, and isn't it interesting that that is the issue that many of the anti-people group have seized upon?  Not sure what it means, but it's interesting.