Author Topic: Video shows Utah nurse screaming, being dragged into police car after refusing to let officer take blood from unconscious victim  (Read 7200 times)

Offline skeeter

That part is interesting.  Not sure what they would have medicated him with - they would have started a line, and run ringers or NS, but medics don't usually medicate.  There are some exceptions - cardiac meds, epinephrine, narcan, but very little else.

According to the article Payne has another job 'transporting patients for an ambulance company'. I'm not really sure what this means, but perhaps Payne has a 'professional interest' in how this reserve police officer/truck driver was treated by the EMTs.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Do they carry any pain meds? Something to soothe burns maybe?

They used to carry morphine but that's because of its cardiac effects.  You don't want to give pain meds because it can interfere with or mask other signs and symptoms, and you don't have a full patient history or know what the patient already has onboard.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/348936-salt-lake-city-mayor-police-chief-apologize-for-officer-who
Salt Lake City mayor, police chief apologize for officer who handcuffed nurse

I'll be impressed when somebody apologizes, and pays for attempting to violate an innocent man's 4th Amendment rights.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

No, I'm not.

My daughters are.

That nurse is.

I just got an ulcer from worrying and fought to keep dark thoughts from materializing into a course of action.  I'm no hero.

Just an idiot who learned my faith and belief in police and justice was totally misplaced.

You don't give yourself enough credit.  You stood with them, and by them.  That makes you a hero in my view (disclosure: I am the father of a daughter, too, so perhaps I'm biased).

Offline RoosGirl

You don't give yourself enough credit.  You stood with them, and by them.  That makes you a hero in my view (disclosure: I am the father of a daughter, too, so perhaps I'm biased).

Not only that, but raised your girls to act as they did.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just an idiot who learned my faith and belief in police and justice was totally misplaced.
I learned that a long time ago, and haven't forgotten.
Official involvement in any problem is a very last resort, and a crapshoot at that--not to be taken lightly.
Some people get a pass, others get stepped on hard, especially in a small town.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

Not only that, but raised your girls to act as they did.

Well put.  Exactly. 

Wingnut

I learned that a long time ago, and haven't forgotten.
Official involvement in any problem is a very last resort, and a crapshoot at that--not to be taken lightly.
Some people get a pass, others get stepped on hard, especially in a small town.

Amen. 
There is no situation that can not be made worse...until you involve the police.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I learned that a long time ago, and haven't forgotten.  Official involvement in any problem is a very last resort, and a crapshoot at that--not to be taken lightly.

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow.  If I fail, if I succeed at least I live as I believe.  No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RoosGirl

I decided long ago, never to walk in anyone's shadow.  If I fail, if I succeed at least I live as I believe.  No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity.

Wrong thread. :)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Officer placed on leave as DA launches criminal investigation into arrest of Utah nurse

http://fox13now.com/2017/09/01/salt-lake-county-da-requests-criminal-investigation-into-arrest-of-u-of-u-nurse/

Salt Lake City Police say two employees are on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation into the arrest of a Utah nurse who refused to allow a blood draw on an unconscious patient without following proper procedure.

Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski announced that as a result of the criminal investigation being launched by the Salt Lake County District Attorney, Detective Jeff Payne will be placed on full administrative leave with pay.

Later Friday night, police stated two employees are on administrative leave. It was not immediately clear who the second employee is.

"This is an ever evolving situation, and we will do what is necessary to fully investigate the issue, uphold the integrity of the Salt Lake City Police Department, and strengthen the trust with our community," said Chief Mike Brown

Biskupski said: "We cannot allow an incident like this divide our community or taint the good work of SLCPD. When I learned of this unacceptable incident last night, I was outraged and will ensure it is fully and independently investigated so our community can heal."

Wingnut

Officer placed on leave as DA launches criminal investigation into arrest of Utah nurse

http://fox13now.com/2017/09/01/salt-lake-county-da-requests-criminal-investigation-into-arrest-of-u-of-u-nurse/

He better be looking fo a new job.  Mall security.  Uber Driver.  Douche canoe driver.

Offline roamer_1

He better be looking fo a new job.  Mall security.  Uber Driver.  Douche canoe driver.

Point of order: A douche canoe 'driver' would be a pilot.
Carry on.

Wingnut

Point of order: A douche canoe 'driver' would be a pilot.
Carry on.

A point without a distinction...  But no matter.

Online DB

That part is interesting.  Not sure what they would have medicated him with - they would have started a line, and run ringers or NS, but medics don't usually medicate.  There are some exceptions - cardiac meds, epinephrine, narcan, but very little else.

My guess is he was badly burned and the medication was to reduce the extreme pain.

Offline Smokin Joe

Could go either way. Some one could get their arse handed to them, or the damage control crew are figuring out how to smooth this one over.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
My guess is he was badly burned and the medication was to reduce the extreme pain.

I don't think so, for the reasons above.

Offline Smokin Joe

I don't think so, for the reasons above.
If someone is out cold, administering opioids would generally be contraindicated, especially after a head on.
Too much possibility of TBI.
No way to assess with Glasgow Scale or Ranchos Los Amigos scale accurately if the patient has been sedated or medicated in a way that would interfere with the assessment. With that fireball, serious burns are a definite possibility, too.   

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Somebody in authority at the hospital should have stood up and told the police that they were in violation of federal law, and that if they proceeded he would call the proper authorities and have them arrested.
The Republic is lost.

Online DB

Somebody in authority at the hospital should have stood up and told the police that they were in violation of federal law, and that if they proceeded he would call the proper authorities and have them arrested.

Yep, including the other police officers present. Someone in authority should have told him he was breaking the law and to back down.

Offline Smokin Joe

Oh, that would have really ticked them off.  :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline verga

@Sanguine It depends on the locality and the circumstances. In the area I live EMT/ Paramedics May administer opioids per Doctor orders either at the scene or on route. Our Scout troop just toured a rescue squad last month and that was one of the questions I asked. It is not a frequent occurrence, but they can do it.

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:03:21 pm by verga »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Suppressed

Is it possible they wanted the blood draw to clear the reserve officer?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn