Author Topic: Video shows Utah nurse screaming, being dragged into police car after refusing to let officer take blood from unconscious victim  (Read 7280 times)

Wingnut

UPdate:

Mayor and COP called her and apologized.   Payne and another "employee" were placed on full administrative leave as a result of a criminal investigation into the incident.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/01/health/utah-nurse-arrest-police-video/index.html

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Is it possible they wanted the blood draw to clear the reserve officer?
If you watch the video, it's pretty clear who was at fault.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine It depends on the locality and the circumstances. In the area I live EMT/ Paramedics May administer opioids per Doctor orders either at the scene or on route. Our Scout troop just toured a rescue squad last month and that was one of the questions I asked. It is not a frequent occurrence, but they can do it.

Edited for spelling

Yes, with doctor's orders they can pretty much do anything.  But, docs are very, very reluctant to administer meds when they don't have a full picture of the condition (preexisting conditions, what the pt has already taken, possible allergies, etc.).  They will wait until the patient can be fully assessed.

Offline corbe

The Salt Lake City Police and the Fifth W

By Wm. P. Fitzhenry  |  September 2, 2017, 08:45am

<..snip..>

There you have it. Police chase. Innocent victim now in a burn unit in a coma. Facing a potentially crippling lawsuit. What to do?

The only reason the police could have for immediately demanding the blood of an unconscious victim was to test for a high alcohol level, or for illegal drug use, or for the abuse of prescription drugs. Their motive seemed to be a fishing expedition to ascertain if they could somehow blame the crash on the victim. After all, if the victim was impaired, they could shift blame.

The real shame of the Salt Lake City Police’s decision is this style of damage control is all too common. It’s Spin 101. Blame the victim, attempt to strong-arm him into a drastically reduced settlement, perhaps even threaten arrest. At the very least, find something to confuse the jury if there is a trial.

This is pitiful. The real damage control should be protecting the Salt Lake city public from these guys in the future.

http://theresurgent.com/the-salt-lake-city-police-and-the-fifth-w/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
http://fox13now.com/2017/09/01/salt-lake-county-da-requests-criminal-investigation-into-arrest-of-u-of-u-nurse/
Officer placed on leave as DA launches criminal investigation into arrest of Utah nurse

Good.  LEOs need a lesson that they, too have skin in the game.  I just hope the DA pursues this with the appropriate vigor, now that the world knows what they did to this nurse.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
If you watch the whole 20 minute video, about 13 minutes and 30 seconds in, that thug cop's Supervisor is playing mind games and intimidating the arrested nurse in the squad car.  He tells her in response to her citing their illegal actions and violating the agreement they had with the hospital: "If we get this illegally then there are civil remedies". The supervisor tells her what I learned in my own situation with my kids, that police can illegally gather anything they want and the public has to fight it in court, where the cops always win.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Idaho police reveal patient defended by ‘heroic’ nurse was an officer

The Hill by  Mallory Shelbourne - 09/03/17

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/349072-police-department-thanks-heroic-utah-nurse-for-defending-cop-patient

An Idaho police department on Friday revealed that the patient in a Utah hospital is one of its reserve officers and thanked the “heroic” nurse who informed law enforcement that it was against hospital policy to draw blood from an unconscious patient without a warrant.

The Rigby Police Department in a statement on Facebook identified the patient as William Gray, one of its reserve officers. Rigby is a city in southeast Idaho.

The department said Gray was “severely injured” in a car accident during his full-time truck-driving job.

“The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm, and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act,” the department said.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
http://fox13now.com/2017/09/01/salt-lake-county-da-requests-criminal-investigation-into-arrest-of-u-of-u-nurse/
Officer placed on leave as DA launches criminal investigation into arrest of Utah nurse

That had better include the officers boss as he is the one that apparently ordered the blood drawn.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Idaho police reveal patient defended by ‘heroic’ nurse was an officer

The Hill by  Mallory Shelbourne - 09/03/17

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/349072-police-department-thanks-heroic-utah-nurse-for-defending-cop-patient

Nice smackdown. The wife and I had to go to Rigby a week ago.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Suppressed

That had better include the officers boss as he is the one that apparently ordered the blood drawn.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:35:20 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

From what I've read on this, the second cop being investigated is, in fact, the Lt. that ordered it.  There you go.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Is it possible they wanted the blood draw to clear the reserve officer?

Sure.  But that would require one to believe a Police Officer who says "Why clam up if you have nothing to hide?"  I tend to be more skeptical.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sounds like Conspiracy to me.

Yeah, between two cops who are used to getting their way when they threaten civilians with arrest and imprisonment.
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

Sure.  But that would require one to believe a Police Officer who says "Why clam up if you have nothing to hide?"  I tend to be more skeptical.
If you watch the dashcam video, from the time the vehicle started to swerve into the path of the semi, there was barely time to check the mirrors, much less maneuver to avoid collision. The Truck was proceeding normally with no evidence of improper operation. The other vehicle that swerved (the one being pursued) appeared to intentionally ram the semi head on (suicide by truck?).
Why the officers might be so adamant about  getting the semi driver's blood is something I could only speculate about, I see no reason they would need it unless they plan to lose the dashcam video.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If you watch the dashcam video, from the time the vehicle started to swerve into the path of the semi, there was barely time to check the mirrors, much less maneuver to avoid collision. The Truck was proceeding normally with no evidence of improper operation. The other vehicle that swerved (the one being pursued) appeared to intentionally ram the semi head on (suicide by truck?).
Why the officers might be so adamant about  getting the semi driver's blood is something I could only speculate about, I see no reason they would need it unless they plan to lose the dashcam video.

The way I see it, they were trying to pin partial responsibility on the truck driver any way they could in case there was a lawsuit.  Any port in a storm if you will.  This is precisely why the SCOTUS found the way the way they did a year earlier, that cops can't trample on the 4th Amendment by going on fishing expeditions with peoples blood samples.  They need probable cause, backed up with a Judge's signature.  The cops in this case had already admitted they didn't have it.
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I have looked at the crash video several times and it appears to me the car does straighten up at the last to hit the truck dead head on instead of at the angle of approach. I am ruling suicide.

I wonder what procedure is for high speed pursuit in Utah? That may be part of the story. @Smokin Joe
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

The way I see it, they were trying to pin partial responsibility on the truck driver any way they could in case there was a lawsuit.  Any port in a storm if you will.  This is precisely why the SCOTUS found the way the way they did a year earlier, that cops can't trample on the 4th Amendment by going on fishing expeditions with peoples blood samples.  They need probable cause, backed up with a Judge's signature.  The cops in this case had already admitted they didn't have it.
Just watch the dashcam video. The guy in the truck (that ain't no sports car) had no time to meaningfully react to the vehicle that hit him. In a smaller vehicle, if he was really on top of things, he might have been able to try to turn to the (his) left of that vehicle's track (a crapshoot at best, crossing that vehicle's path) to try to avoid the collision or get hit on the other side, but semis just don't turn like a smaller vehicle can.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I have looked at the crash video several times and it appears to me the car does straighten up at the last to hit the truck dead head on instead of at the angle of approach. I am ruling suicide.

I wonder what procedure is for high speed pursuit in Utah? That may be part of the story. @Smokin Joe

That's a good question, @bigheadfred .  I think the rules for that may implicate the State Cops involved in the pursuit, and they were trying to slough off the blame for the crash on anybody (alive) they could.  Since the perp was dead, that meant nailing the innocent bystander.  My understanding is it was the State Popo who wanted the blood draw, not the Local Yokels.

I guess it was their hard luck the guy was a volunteer cop, huh?  With a tough nurse who understood her responsibility to be his advocate.
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

My impression was suicide by Semi, too. High speed pursuit procedures may well factor in.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Just watch the dashcam video. The guy in the truck (that ain't no sports car) had no time to meaningfully react to the vehicle that hit him. In a smaller vehicle, if he was really on top of things, he might have been able to try to turn to the (his) left of that vehicle's track (a crapshoot at best, crossing that vehicle's path) to try to avoid the collision or get hit on the other side, but semis just don't turn like a smaller vehicle can.

I trust you on this (I don't want to see a snuff film), but I totally agree a semi has no capacity for maneuvering,  they are trains on tires, even with a light load.  Say, what was this guy hauling, anyway?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:14:49 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline NavyCanDo

Good.  LEOs need a lesson that they, too have skin in the game.  I just hope the DA pursues this with the appropriate vigor, now that the world knows what they did to this nurse.

I follow a LEO Facebook Group, and believe me they are as pissed about this detective abusing his power as anyone here, and agree that he should lose his job and the watch supervisor punished.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online Smokin Joe

I trust you on this (I don't want to see a snuff film), but I totally agree a semi has no capacity for maneuvering,  they are trains on tires, even with a light load.  Say, what was this guy hauling, anyway?
I don't know. It appeared to be a van type trailer, but was pretty much obscured by the fireball. Even empty, you can't exactly zig-zag one of those very well.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I follow a LEO Facebook Group, and believe me they are as pissed about this detective abusing his power as anyone here, and agree that he should lose his job and the watch supervisor punished.

Not what I mean by "skin in the game."  They should be facing the same thing they threatened the nurse with.  Mere loss of their jobs isn't enough for me.  Throwing people in jail is a serious business, and when cops do that unfairly they need to understand the pain, up close and personal, or they get in the habit of doing it too easily. 
I will NOT comply.