Author Topic: Trump forces midterm Republicans into an awkward situation  (Read 3292 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Trump forces midterm Republicans into an awkward situation
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2017, 05:53:39 pm »
They still have to fight the headwinds created by Trump.

Then they can start explaining how Republicans paved the way for Trump to be given the nomination.  Gosh, that would look really back for Republicans, wouldn't it?

Oceander

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2017, 05:54:30 pm »
VERY well said.

As a young officer, I was never allowed to make any excuses when the mission was not accomplished. Everything my platoon, section, battery, etc. did, or failed to do, was my responsibility.

And yet here you are, giving Trump excuses. 

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2017, 05:56:07 pm »
Then they can start explaining how Republicans paved the way for Trump to be given the nomination.  Gosh, that would look really back for Republicans, wouldn't it?

Hey, I've always said that Trump was an unmitigated disaster for the republicans, from day 1.  I've never said they didn't have a hand in tying the millstone that is Trump around their own necks. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2017, 06:00:07 pm »
Hey, I've always said that Trump was an unmitigated disaster for the republicans, from day 1.  I've never said they didn't have a hand in tying the millstone that is Trump around their own necks.

I wasn't picking on you. :)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 06:03:31 pm »
No, you didn't say it, but it is a question to be addressed.

No it isn't.  At least not by me because I didn't make the assertion.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 06:06:20 pm »
Here's a thought, how about those running tell us what they are for and against and then prove it to us with their actions.

You're talking crazy talk, just like @Wingnut.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 06:08:45 pm »
No it isn't.  At least not by me because I didn't make the assertion.

Yes, it is.  You don't have to if you don't want to, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed. 

Wingnut

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 06:09:38 pm »
They still have to fight the headwinds created by Trump.

So hoist up the Donny T's sail
See how the main sail sets
Call for the Captain ashore
Let me go home, let me go home
I want to go home, yeah yeah
Well I feel so broke up
I want to go home

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 06:29:17 pm »
Yes, it is.  You don't have to if you don't want to, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed.

I refuse to answer it because it's a ridiculous attempt to apply a false dichotomy on what I said as a means of deflection.  If it needs to be addressed, then my comment is an inappropriate context.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 06:29:55 pm »
@mystery-ak

Elections of representatives and senators are local.  The rep or senator is in congress to represent their district wishes, not
Trump's.  They need to stress they are representing them and encourage emails and letters to them so they can better represent them - they need to stress that in every speech made to their district people. Every snail mail they send out to their people needs to have that at the top, the middle, and the bottom of the mail-out.  I repeat, they represent the people, what their people want/need. Their votes represent their people's desires, not Trump's.  If someone brings up the name, "Trump", the rep/senator needs to immediately move the subject back to what the group wants/needs as that is what is important.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 06:39:37 pm »
@mystery-ak

Elections of representatives and senators are local.  The rep or senator is in congress to represent their district wishes, not
Trump's.  They need to stress they are representing them and encourage emails and letters to them so they can better represent them - they need to stress that in every speech made to their district people. Every snail mail they send out to their people needs to have that at the top, the middle, and the bottom of the mail-out.  I repeat, they represent the people, what their people want/need. Their votes represent their people's desires, not Trump's.  If someone brings up the name, "Trump", the rep/senator needs to immediately move the subject back to what the group wants/needs as that is what is important.

I think your statement on the matter is the best summary of the thread.  Individual Reps and Senators should stand on their own two feet and say what they think, and what they will do, then do it.  If they're "in trouble" now it's because they have failed in doing one of these things.  @RoosGirl said something similar upthread.
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 06:59:27 pm »
To be fair and accurate.... if the GOP loses control of Congress next year (and they probably will).... most of the blame will fall on the GOP....not on Trump.  Sure, Trump coulda woulda shoulda tried harder to bring the GOP in line and get them to DO something towards his agenda.... but most of the blame will be placed on the GOP by those that know better. 

^^^ THIS!

For all of Trump's Thumbs-In-Mouth Twitter stupidity and failure to perform his immortal dealmaking skills to get Congress to enact the aspects of his campaign promises the public voted for, it is McConnell and Ryan's Democrat-Lite running of Congress that will rightfully earn the Republican party a seat next to the Whig party where it belongs.

The fact a lifelong NY Liberal Democrat HEADs the Republican Party is fitting, given the refusal to do anything to stop implementing Obama's agenda, even AFTER their party has won all three branches.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 08:35:34 pm »
To be fair and accurate.... if the GOP loses control of Congress next year (and they probably will).... most of the blame will fall on the GOP....not on Trump.  Sure, Trump coulda woulda shoulda tried harder to bring the GOP in line and get them to DO something towards his agenda.... but most of the blame will be placed on the GOP by those that know better.  The perpetual Trump-haters will, of course and as usual, blame him for all ills in the world, including that.  It's a constant in the universe.

I don't think the GOP will lose control of Congress.  I think they will gain more seats in both houses.  But the people who have opposed Trump on the good things he's tried to do will be primaried and I hope defeated.

But for the GOP to lose control of Congress, people would have to vote for democrats.  That's real hard to do.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 08:50:36 pm »

^^^ THIS!

For all of Trump's Thumbs-In-Mouth Twitter stupidity and failure to perform his immortal dealmaking skills to get Congress to enact the aspects of his campaign promises the public voted for, it is McConnell and Ryan's Democrat-Lite running of Congress that will rightfully earn the Republican party a seat next to the Whig party where it belongs.

The fact a lifelong NY Liberal Democrat HEADs the Republican Party is fitting, given the refusal to do anything to stop implementing Obama's agenda, even AFTER their party has won all three branches.

Right. In all my years of watching the GOP and their two card monte act I have never seen them show their arse like they have the past 6 months.

Honestly I do not know how any of those frauds can look in the mirror and not see themselves as the lying carnival barkers they are.

But they'll keep power because the democrats are just that much worse.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2017, 02:13:36 am »
And yet here you are, giving Trump excuses.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Trump heads the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2017, 02:19:29 am »
You'll feel better under a Congress controlled by the democrat party?

Like what we have now?

No obamacare repeal...tax cuts unlikely.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2017, 02:20:31 am »
Sorry to disappoint you, but Trump heads the Executive Branch, not the Legislative Branch.

Right, some seem to miss that understanding.  888high58888
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 02:24:48 am »

Only a worshipper at the Trump cult of personality cannot see that he has contributed to the problem.

Actually, only a whore at the corner of RINO and NeverTrump could not see the democrats they serve.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 02:32:21 am »

On that you certainly are consistent...... misguided, but consistent.   

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 02:39:25 am »

^^^ THIS!

Well done..... well done indeed.  888high58888

Frederick Douglass

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 03:42:34 am »
So hoist up the Donny T's sail
See how the main sail sets
Call for the Captain ashore
Let me go home, let me go home
I want to go home, yeah yeah
Well I feel so broke up
I want to go home

Thanks.  Me, too.

These congress critters are going to have to make up their minds about how they campaign.

It would be very dangerous for them to campaign against Trump because he's been a better President than many of them have been congress people.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 08:10:29 am »
In other words, Trump could very well Cost the GOP control of Congress in 2018.
What I see (if anything) costing the GOP control of Congress is the abject failure to rid America of the ACA.
After years of promising to do just that, including the sham of voting on repeal time and again when no one in the White House would sign, the electorate got them everything they needed and they failed.

That broken promise is the GOPs "Read my lips..." moment, and we know what happened when GHWB went back on that one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2017, 08:14:01 am »
Are you saying the Russians control the results of Congressional elections?
Meh. Who needs Russians? We have plenty of indigenous Communists in the Democrat Party without Russians, and a few in the GOP who vote with them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 04:50:16 pm »
What I see (if anything) costing the GOP control of Congress is the abject failure to rid America of the ACA.
After years of promising to do just that, including the sham of voting on repeal time and again when no one in the White House would sign, the electorate got them everything they needed and they failed.

Disagree with you on that specific.

They didn't 'fail' - they REFUSED.  Their first order of business for ObamaCare once they were seated with all power, was to try and shore-up ObamaCare and put their own stamp of approval on small 'fixes' to the so-called 'Repeal and Replace' effort.  Except there was absolutely NO repeal whatsoever, and only massaging efforts to ease the pain and to shore up the exchanges and medicaid to keep it going.  That was followed by the "Better Care Reconciliation Act" which touted itself as a 'partial repeal' in terms of business mandates on employers and rearranging block grants to shore up the exchanges.  That too was torpedoed.  McConnell and Ryan never had any intention of repealing or replacing Obamacare.

That fact is self-evident in the Kabuki theater shell-frame they played in the previous 7 years by fully funding every aspect of ObamaCare.  Something they are doing again right now.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775