Author Topic: Samsung secures self-driving car permit in California  (Read 1344 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Samsung secures self-driving car permit in California
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:52 am »
Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) said on Thursday it has received a permit to test self-driving vehicles in California, marking the entry of the world’s largest smart phone maker four months after iPhone maker and arch rival Apple Inc (AAPL.O) received a permit.

Its parent company in May secured permission from South Korean authorities to test a self-driving car fitted with its own sensors and software systems. At that time, South Korean officials said the company planned to use the car to develop a self-driving car algorithm that could drive in adverse weather.

In a statement to Reuters, Samsung did not say what precisely what it planned to test in the United States but said it secured the permit “in pursuit of a smarter, safer transportation future.”

Continued - http://www.reuters.com/article/us-samsung-elec-autos-idUSKCN1BB33R

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Samsung secures self-driving car permit in California
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:53:33 am »
I saw a report the other day where the mayor of Merced, Ca was activley campaigning for these self driving programs to relocate there, I wonder if that's where Samsung is looking. It would make sense, years ago I woked on the then brand new microscopy center at UC Merced (what a clusterf*ck) and there was nothing but caows and bangers there.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:31 am »
So the people who brought us the Note 7 are going into the car business. This will work out great......

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:51:51 am »
So the people who brought us the Note 7 are going into the car business. This will work out great......

Yeah, the Note 7 wouldn't drive all over and spread the love...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 04:57:06 am »

Well it's cool, Samsung wants to compete with Apple with self driving cars, and they both already have the exploding battery thing down.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 05:01:51 am »
Well it's cool, Samsung wants to compete with Apple with self driving cars, and they both already have the exploding battery thing down.

So you are saying that they are trying to horn in on Teslas segment of the market?

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 06:01:01 am »
So you are saying that they are trying to horn in on Teslas segment of the market?

Everyone wants to be number one,  I'm sure that both Apple and Samsung bekieve they can build a better self immolati........er, self driving car then Tesla!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 08:00:55 am »
I dislike driving but unless I'm rich enough to have someone drive me like a chauffeur I wouldn't get a self driving car. Ever. Too spooky.

That's my two cents.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 09:13:49 am »
So when are the self driving car lanes coming giving them preferential treatment like they did EVs?

The cities by far have the most to gain by self driving cars, particularly on the major arteries at peak usage. The throughput per hour per mile could be drastically increased for a given stretch of road (by completely avoiding gridlock). That's far cheaper than making the road bigger. But it only works if all the cars are self driving and connected to an overall transportation management computer network. That would likely mean that cities in time will mandate only self driving cars on some roads, probably freeways.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »
So when are the self driving car lanes coming giving them preferential treatment like they did EVs?

The cities by far have the most to gain by self driving cars, particularly on the major arteries at peak usage. The throughput per hour per mile could be drastically increased for a given stretch of road (by completely avoiding gridlock). That's far cheaper than making the road bigger. But it only works if all the cars are self driving and connected to an overall transportation management computer network. That would likely mean that cities in time will mandate only self driving cars on some roads, probably freeways.
You are assuming it all works, that there are no glitches, no flats, no malfunctions.
BSOD one time, and it gets real.
No thanks.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 08:58:06 pm »
You are assuming it all works, that there are no glitches, no flats, no malfunctions.
BSOD one time, and it gets real.
No thanks.

I'm saying we won't be given a choice.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 11:17:18 pm »
I'm saying we won't be given a choice.
There is always a choice.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 11:41:59 pm »
Needed a phone. Not going to the Apple thing, at least yet. Used to love my HTCs but the last one failed early.

Had issues with Samsung washer/dryer. Today Samsung's Galaxy 8 is the big deal.

Not me. I settled for an LG G6 which seems full of capabilities. My phone strategy is to go with the prior year's new, big thing that worked out well, but is now cheaper.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 12:23:34 am »
My phone strategy is to go with the prior year's new, big thing that worked out well, but is now cheaper.
LOL! That's my strategy with most everything.

No new cars, go read the reviews and look for low mileage vehicles at estate sales--I'm after remaining miles for a low price in an acceptably good vehicle.
Never the latest OS until someone else works the bugs out, and never on the cutting edge of tech unless I have no choice.
It's far cheaper, and someone else gets the 'honor' of doing the beta testing.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 12:30:13 am »
Needed a phone. Not going to the Apple thing, at least yet. Used to love my HTCs but the last one failed early.

Had issues with Samsung washer/dryer. Today Samsung's Galaxy 8 is the big deal.

Not me. I settled for an LG G6 which seems full of capabilities. My phone strategy is to go with the prior year's new, big thing that worked out well, but is now cheaper.

We do the same thing and buy them separately, has been from Amazon in the past, and not from the cellular store.  And we don't let them talk us into one of the "free" phones that aren't really free.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 01:24:04 am »
"Samsung secures self-driving car permit in California"

Their first model's gonna be the "Galaxy 7" ...

Addendum:
Heck, I shoulda read the replies before posting!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:28:00 am by Fishrrman »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 11:51:26 pm »
Update:  With 2 days on the odometer, my new LG G6 is fantastic !!

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline berdie

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 03:10:43 am »
I dislike driving but unless I'm rich enough to have someone drive me like a chauffeur I wouldn't get a self driving car. Ever. Too spooky.

That's my two cents.

I agree. But truthfully...when I get old(er) and can't get to the grocery store or doctor...it could be nice. Of course, I'm in a rural area.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 04:48:01 am »

C S Lewis