Author Topic: White House weighing a tax on remittances to Mexico to fund border wall  (Read 537 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

White House weighing a tax on remittances to Mexico to fund border wall
Washington Examiner, Aug 31, 2017, Gabby Morrongiello

President Trump is mulling a tax on cash transfers between immigrants in the U.S. and their relatives in Mexico as a way to fund his promised border wall without forcing American taxpayers to open their wallets, according to sources familiar with the proposal.

Trump first floated the idea of taxing or halting person-to-person wire transfers, known as remittances, during his bid for the White House. A two-page memo released by his campaign last April described a plan "to compel Mexico to pay for the wall" by preventing immigrants from wiring money outside of the U.S. unless they can prove their legal status to law enforcement authorities.

Because the Mexican economy has become so dependent on wages sent home by migrant workers, which surpassed oil revenues as its leading source of foreign income in 2015, Trump said he could convince the country's leaders to make a "one-time payment of $5-10 billion" toward his border wall by threatening to stop the annual flow of billions of dollars from the U.S. to Mexico in the form of cash transfers.

In 2016, Mexican immigrants living in the U.S. sent $27 billion to family members and friends in their native country.

They will live very, very frugally to save as much money as they can to send it back home," Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Ala., told the Washington Examiner.

Rogers introduced a bill in March to levy a 2 percent tax on all cash transfers from "anybody who remits to South America." The legislation, which is currently stuck in committees, would net a little more than $1 billion a year and "comport with President Trump's pledge to build a wall and make [Mexico] pay for it."

More: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/white-house-weighing-a-tax-on-remittances-to-mexico-to-fund-border-wall/article/2633089

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: White House weighing a tax on remittances to Mexico to fund border wall
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:08:25 pm »
In 2016, Mexican immigrants living in the U.S. sent $27 billion to family members and friends in their native country.

I get all type of static from the bank pulling large sums OF MY OWN MONEY out of the bank, but $27 Billion in US money flowing out to a narco state isn't a problem? TAX THE SHIT OUT OF THESE PEOPLE SENDING MONEY!!!!!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:07:37 am »

I get all type of static from the bank pulling large sums OF MY OWN MONEY out of the bank, but $27 Billion in US money flowing out to a narco state isn't a problem? TAX THE SHIT OUT OF THESE PEOPLE SENDING MONEY!!!!!
888high58888
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:28:37 am »

Hell Yeah!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 01:19:07 am »
How come they're just getting around to this now?

I proposed this as a plan for funding the wall over a year ago.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:21:22 am »
So will they start using FedEx?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:14:38 am »
So will they start using FedEx?

There is some humor there. Fed-Ex.

UPS--their slogan. See what brown can do for you.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley