Author Topic: Chemicals at plant near Houston degrading, explosion inevitable – CEO  (Read 1115 times)

rangerrebew

Chemicals at plant near Houston degrading, explosion inevitable – CEO
Published time: 30 Aug, 2017 19:23
Edited time: 31 Aug, 2017 08:23

HURRICANE HARVEY LIVE UPDATES

There’s no way to prevent an explosion or a fire at the chemical plant, Arkema’s CEO Richard Rowe said during a conference call Wednesday, adding “We believe that any sustained environmental impact should be minimal.”

https://www.rt.com/usa/401489-arkema-plant-explosion-risk/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Chemicals at plant near Houston degrading, explosion inevitable – CEO
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:05:36 am »
Texas chemical fire explosion: Two blasts and black smoke rise from Arkema plant
Independent/UK, Aug 31, 2017

Smoke and an explosion were reported on Thursday at the flood-hit Arkema SA chemical plant in Crosby, Texas, following floods caused by Hurricane Harvey.

The company evacuated remaining workers at the damaged plant on Tuesday, and Harris County ordered the evacuation of residents within a 1.5-mile (2.4-km) radius of the plant, which makes organic peroxides used in the production of plastic resins, polystyrene, paints and other products.

Houston TV station Fox 26 reported the explosion.

A police officer has been taken to hospital after inhaling fumes produced by the double blast.

"We want local residents to be aware that the product is stored in multiple locations on the site, and a threat of additional explosion remains," Arkema said in a statement.

"Please do not return to the area within the evacuation zone until local emergency response authorities announce it is safe to do so," the French company added.

The company had warned of a potential explosion in an update on its website on Wednesday afternoon.

Rich Rowe, its president and chief executive, said: "Our Crosby facility makes organic peroxides, a family of compounds that are used in everything from making pharmaceuticals to construction materials.

"But organic peroxides may burn if not stored and handled under the right conditions. At Crosby, we prepared for what we recognised could be a worst case scenario. We had redundant contingency plans in place.

"Right now, we have an unprecedented 6ft of water at the plant. We have lost primary power and two sources of emergency backup power.

"As a result, we have lost critical refrigeration of the materials on site that could now explode and cause a subsequent intense fire. The high water and lack of power leave us with no way to prevent it."

More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/texas-chemical-fire-explosion-latest-arkema-inc-plant-harvey-flooding-crosby-a7921556.html

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:08:38 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Mod2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:48:58 pm »
Merged two threads.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 01:50:34 pm »
Sorry it's from WashPoo (excerpted, of course), but it's one of the most recent articles posted:
‘Pops,’ followed by smoke and fire, reported at storm-crippled Texas chemical plant
By Alex Horton and J. Freedom du Lac August 31 at 9:25 AM

CROSBY, Tex. — The operators of a chemical plant left without power by floodwaters said Thursday that possible explosions have been reported at the facility, and they warned that more problems could occur as rising temperatures make the highly flammable compounds inside volatile and dangerous.

Arkema, the French chemicals group that runs the plant, said in a statement that it was notified by the Harris County Emergency Operations Center “of two explosions and black smoke” coming from the facility, which was under about six feet of water from the relentless rains unleashed by Harvey.

Local authorities later said there weren’t explosions at the facility, but rather “a series of pops” followed by smoke and fire. But Arkema urged residents to stay clear of a temporary evacuation zone set up Wednesday, and said in its statement that “a threat of additional explosion remains.”   ...

“It is not anything toxic; it is not anything that we feel is a danger to the community at all,” the sheriff said.

The plant in Crosby manufactures organic peroxides, a family of compounds used in everything from pharmaceuticals to construction materials such as counter tops and pipes.

But the material must remain cold — otherwise it can combust. “The material naturally degrades and some types can be unstable unless refrigerated,” Arkema explained.  ...
Rest of story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:56:18 pm »
I wondered why they didn't have a disaster plan - apparently they did, but this overwhelmed it.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 03:03:05 pm »
Contingency plans overwhelmed with no power for refrigeration. I hope it is true that it is not toxic.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 11:53:48 pm »
 The Latest: Fire at Houston-area Chemical Plant

Friday, 01 Sep 2017 06:37 PM

HOUSTON (AP) — The Latest on Tropical Depression Harvey (all times local):

5:25 p.m.

Aerial video shows another fire at a Houston-area chemical plant that lost power after Harvey.

Flames and smoke could be seen coming from the Arkema plant in Crosby Friday evening. That came after a container of organic peroxides exploded and caught fire early Thursday, sending acrid smoke into the air. An executive had said up to eight more containers could burn and explode.

Arkema says Harvey's floodwaters engulfed its backup generators and knocked out the refrigeration necessary to keep the compounds from degrading and catching fire.

The Environmental Protection Agency and local officials said an analysis of the smoke that came from the plant early Thursday showed no reason for alarm. No serious injuries were reported. Still, authorities evacuated an area around the plant.

more
https://www.newsmax.com/Headline/US-Harvey-The-Latest/2017/09/01/id/811261/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:00:20 am »
But if there is no reason for alarm, why the evacuation?  Am I the only one who thinks this is more serious than officials are leading us to believe?

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:00 am »
But if there is no reason for alarm, why the evacuation?  Am I the only one who thinks this is more serious than officials are leading us to believe?

They have announced that more fires are expected.  The stored chemical will ignite without refrigeration and there is no power.  It is only a matter of time as each tank goes up.  It is not an expected cause for alarm, outside the evacuation area.

More info at:

http://abc13.com/arkema-plant-explodes-after-power-loss/2366889/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Mod2

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:47 pm »
Two threads on Arkema plant merged.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:48:54 pm »
I'm still baffeled by all this "explosion" bs.  I watched the entire sequence of events in the fire yesterday on a feed from a remote camera at the site.  Here's what REALLY happens with this stuff.

The relief valves on the container(s) open (popping sounds) wherupon the product is released to the air and mixes with the water vapor contained in the air.  The resultant reaction produces a great deal of heat and the mixture soon auto ignites.  Fires yes!  Explosions no!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 02:40:15 pm »
I'm still baffeled by all this "explosion" bs.  I watched the entire sequence of events in the fire yesterday on a feed from a remote camera at the site.  Here's what REALLY happens with this stuff.

The relief valves on the container(s) open (popping sounds) wherupon the product is released to the air and mixes with the water vapor contained in the air.  The resultant reaction produces a great deal of heat and the mixture soon auto ignites.  Fires yes!  Explosions no!
'Explosions' happen hundreds of times a minute for every piston in a vehicle.

It is a controlled explosion, just like what you described.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 04:26:40 pm »
'Explosions' happen hundreds of times a minute for every piston in a vehicle.

It is a controlled explosion, just like what you described.

I was trying to be as non technical as I possibly could. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 01:30:02 am »
I was trying to be as non technical as I possibly could.
I knew you were. Just trying to get people to realize lots of explosions happen all the time, from engines to ammo, and most all of them are by design, just like what you described in the plant.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 01:33:09 am »

BLEVEs?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 01:34:12 am »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 01:51:37 am »
No sir!  Nothing of the kind.

I understand organic-peroxides were involved.  These materials once they reach a certain temp, auto ignite, and will burn with the veracity of whatever the carrier organic is (these vary). Whether they explode or just violently burn is a function how the material is handled.  Best case is the thing burns like a candle off the RV.or through their flare.  Worst case is their PSM program was lacking and the tankage does not contain the pressure of rapidly degrading peroxide mixture.  Haven't been watching this that closely, but emergency officials should have their SARA tier 2 reports on file to calculate the blast/ impact circles.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 02:01:20 am »
I understand organic-peroxides were involved.  These materials once they reach a certain temp, auto ignite, and will burn with the veracity of whatever the carrier organic is (these vary). Whether they explode or just violently burn is a function how the material is handled.  Best case is the thing burns like a candle off the RV.or through their flare.  Worst case is their PSM program was lacking and the tankage does not contain the pressure of rapidly degrading peroxide mixture.  Haven't been watching this that closely, but emergency officials should have their SARA tier 2 reports on file to calculate the blast/ impact circles.

Apparently the RVs on these vessels are adequetly sized.  At least based on what I have seen so far.  Only vapors burning.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 04:12:38 am »
I just saw that something is happening in Beaumont with a similar problem.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley