Author Topic: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: House GOP eyeing $1B disaster funds cut to finance wall
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 04:38:26 pm »
Correct illegals are not needed there a plenty of out of work Americans that can rebuild whatever needs building in Tx and La. All the illegals do is put Americans out of work.

What a laugh.   Americans stay mired in their small towns and won't go where the work is.   Immigrants, by definition, go where the action is.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 05:50:57 pm »
What a laugh.   Americans stay mired in their small towns and won't go where the work is.   Immigrants, by definition, go where the action is.

Plenty from NW Montana went down to the South after Katrina. I know a dozen or so personally.

and they're not 'immigrants'. They're Illegal Aliens. Words mean things n' shit.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 06:06:09 pm »
Plenty from NW Montana went down to the South after Katrina. I know a dozen or so personally.

and they're not 'immigrants'. They're Illegal Aliens. Words mean things n' shit.

@Jazzhead
@roamer_1

In my experience only progressives use the word "immigrants" when talking about illegal aliens.

After Ike where were tons of US Citizens that came here looking for work rebuilding. However they wanted to be paid a descent wage. I live in the middle of Hareys' path Northern Galveston county. I own a small front end loader, a towable backhoe and lots of other tools. I am more then willing to put them to work rebuilding, but I too want to be paid a descent wage.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:06:54 pm by jpsb »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 06:13:16 pm »
If you want to be paid a decent wage, you need to find an employer willing to pay a decent wage.  The problem of illegal immigration is all about the demand by employers for labor that is reliable, hardworking, and affordable.    These folks come here to work, not sponge off the rest of us. 

Offline jpsb

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »
If you want to be paid a decent wage, you need to find an employer willing to pay a decent wage.  The problem of illegal immigration is all about the demand by employers for labor that is reliable, hardworking, and affordable.    These folks come here to work, not sponge off the rest of us.

Many many years ago I worked in construction, wages in construction (excluding union workers) has remained flat since Reagan opened the flood gates for illegals. Flat since the mid 80s. That tens of millions of working American forced to compete with illegal labor. Maybe you are fine with forcing millions of American into poverty but I am not.

Trump was elected to fix our very broken immigration system and put Americans back to work at a descent wage. Deport all the illegals.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 06:47:59 pm »
Really?  People are going to need money to rebuild -- a lot of money.  Something has to give. 

Instead of spending on a wall, how about enforcing the laws already on the books against illegal immigration?  That is what Trump supporters should be insisting upon.  Hasn't it been long ugh that this country hasn't been enforcing the laws?
Being an illegal immigrant is, well, illegal. Empower local jurisdictions to incarcerate illegals under Federal Statutes, and revive the chain gang concept. There will be plenty of outside work to do, debris to load on trucks, etc.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »

Yah right. I wonder how we get anything done up here in the Northwest where Mexicans are almost nonexistant. All we have is lazy white guys and injuns.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2017, 07:36:03 pm »

Trump was elected to fix our very broken immigration system and put Americans back to work at a descent wage. Deport all the illegals.

Good idea, but you backed the wrong horse.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2017, 07:42:24 pm »
Yah right. I wonder how we get anything done up here in the Northwest where Mexicans are almost nonexistant. All we have is lazy white guys and injuns.

My father-in-law worked for years as an itinerant laborer in Montana before ultimately settling in LA.   

Online roamer_1

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2017, 08:10:10 pm »
My father-in-law worked for years as an itinerant laborer in Montana before ultimately settling in LA.

So what?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2017, 08:35:08 pm »
So what?

Anecdotal evidence in conflict with your statement.   

Online roamer_1

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:47 pm »
Anecdotal evidence in conflict with your statement.

Why? Because he was Mexican? Pfft!
The original itinerant worker in the west is the American Cowboy. So just because there's an odd Mexican here or there means nothing.

I've rode herd with Australians... more of them than Mexicans. And I've picked cherries with Gypsies. Mexicans particularly didn't have that much impact.

Heck, even the rodeos where you'd expect them to be - more injuns by far than mexicans.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »

Not was, is - he's 91 this year.   Yeah, he's a Mexican immigrant - he was a gardener - and still speaks with such a thick accent that I can barely understand him.  But he raised eight kids - ALL of whom graduated from college, including one from Yale and two from Stanford.   So forgive me if I get a bit perturbed at all the Mexican immigrant-bashing I see around here.   These folks are STRIVERS, and are part of the fabric that helps make this country great, IMO.   

Online roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2017, 09:26:52 pm »
Not was, is - he's 91 this year.   Yeah, he's a Mexican immigrant - he was a gardener - and still speaks with such a thick accent that I can barely understand him.  But he raised eight kids - ALL of whom graduated from college, including one from Yale and two from Stanford.   So forgive me if I get a bit perturbed at all the Mexican immigrant-bashing I see around here.   These folks are STRIVERS, and are part of the fabric that helps make this country great, IMO.

It isn't Mexican immigrants that are being bashed.
It's illegal aliens... The vast majority of whom happen to be Mexican/Hispanic.

And I couldn't give a rusty crap for all their striving. I've got enough striving of my own.
If they ain't got at least a green card, they don't belong here. Go strive someplace else.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:06 pm »

You conflate immigrants with illegal immigrants like a progressive, oh Great White Father.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2017, 09:49:26 pm »

I certainly don't see every post, but I've never seen anyone say anything that could be considered "bashing" of *legal* immigrants.  If daddy was an illegal I can understand why you'd have a couple dozen bees in your bonnet.

Oceander

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2017, 10:16:36 pm »
It isn't Mexican immigrants that are being bashed.
It's illegal aliens... The vast majority of whom happen to be Mexican/Hispanic.

And I couldn't give a rusty crap for all their striving. I've got enough striving of my own.
If they ain't got at least a green card, they don't belong here. Go strive someplace else.

No, actually, the great majority are not Mexicans.  There are plenty of Mexicans, but there are plenty of others, too. The main difference being that Mexicans tend to stick out more than, say, illegals from Ireland. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2017, 10:20:35 pm »
The original itinerant worker in the west is the American Cowboy. So just because there's an odd Mexican here or there means nothing.

I've rode herd with Australians... more of them than Mexicans. And I've picked cherries with Gypsies. Mexicans particularly didn't have that much impact.

Heck, even the rodeos where you'd expect them to be - more injuns by far than mexicans.
Maybe it is just the local influence here, but I noticed a lot of the working cowboys were indians. Boy, that would have really complicated childhood games...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2017, 10:23:40 pm »
Maybe it is just the local influence here, but I noticed a lot of the working cowboys were indians. Boy, that would have really complicated childhood games...

Yes it would have. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2017, 10:36:03 pm »
No, actually, the great majority are not Mexicans.  There are plenty of Mexicans, but there are plenty of others, too. The main difference being that Mexicans tend to stick out more than, say, illegals from Ireland.

No, That isn't what I said. I said Mexican/Hispanic. Central and south American aliens do indeed make up the lion's share, with Asian (Chinese and Indian mainly) being next. Irishmen, and literally everybody else, are a drop in the bucket.

Online DB

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:16 pm »

You must not be anywhere near California...

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »
You conflate immigrants with illegal immigrants like a progressive, oh Great White Father.

So a lifetime of striving and responsibility is trumped by original sin?   Don't forget that illegals have come here because we wanted them here - we wanted their labor, their work ethic.   Now, it seems, we've turned on a dime and declared them the worst of the worst - hell,  we don't even want to cut their kids a break.  Is that the face of conservatism?  Is that the face of Christian compassion?

I don't think so.   Plenty of conservatives - certainly a majority of Republicans according to polls -  support a pathway to legal status for those who've worked hard all their lives.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:07:02 pm by Jazzhead »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2017, 12:30:08 pm »
So a lifetime of striving and responsibility is trumped by original sin?   Don't forget that illegals have come here because we wanted them here - we wanted their labor, their work ethic.   Now, it seems, we've turned on a dime and declared them the worst of the worst - hell,  we don't even want to cut their kids a break.  Is that the face of conservatism?  Is that the face of Christian compassion?

I don't think so.   Plenty of conservatives - certainly a majority of Republicans according to polls -  support a pathway to legal status for those who've worked hard all their lives.

Illegals are a slap in the face to everyone who did the right thing by doing it LEGALLY.

All of your arguments disappear with one fact. They are here ILLEGALLY.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2017, 12:32:38 pm »
Illegals are a slap in the face to everyone who did the right thing by doing it LEGALLY.

All of your arguments disappear with one fact. They are here ILLEGALLY.

Thankfully your views aren't shared by a majority of Republicans or Christians. 

Government policy created the illegal immigration problem.  It is morally unjust to treat these folks as pariahs - they came here to work.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:46:17 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2017, 12:48:32 pm »