Author Topic: German Wind Energy Market “Threatening To Implode”…”Things Have Never Been This Bad”!  (Read 1088 times)

rangerrebew

German Wind Energy Market “Threatening To Implode”…”Things Have Never Been This Bad”!

By P Gosselin on 30. August 2017

While Germany likes to fancy itself as being among the “global leaders” in tackling climate change by expanding green energies, the country has in fact taken very little action recently to back up the appearances.

If anything, Germany is more green energy retreat mode. There are good reasons for this.

German flagship business daily “Handelsblatt” reported here yesterday how Germany’s wind energy market is now “threatening to implode” and that as a result “thousands of jobs are at risk“.

http://notrickszone.com/#sthash.uBc77k0X.iFKRkMeH.dpbs

Offline Joe Wooten

German Wind Energy Market “Threatening To Implode”…”Things Have Never Been This Bad”!

By P Gosselin on 30. August 2017

While Germany likes to fancy itself as being among the “global leaders” in tackling climate change by expanding green energies, the country has in fact taken very little action recently to back up the appearances.

If anything, Germany is more green energy retreat mode. There are good reasons for this.

German flagship business daily “Handelsblatt” reported here yesterday how Germany’s wind energy market is now “threatening to implode” and that as a result “thousands of jobs are at risk“.

http://notrickszone.com/#sthash.uBc77k0X.iFKRkMeH.dpbs

Thousands of fake jobs. It never was a viable industry without massive government support.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Germany seems addicted to fascists, the latest and very powerful are the Greens.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Sometimes I think that Merkel was born in California.  Could that be true?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Sometimes I think that Merkel was born in California.  Could that be true?

Almost as bad, she was actually born and grew up in Old East Germany, and unsustainable nation with almost as many delusions as those running California seem to have.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thousands of fake jobs. It never was a viable industry without massive government support.
Even if they were real jobs, for every boom, there is a bust.

Once the oil wells are drilled, a lot of rigs get laid down and people go home, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Even if they were real jobs, for every boom, there is a bust.

Once the oil wells are drilled, a lot of rigs get laid down and people go home, too.
But you forgot that there is then another boom.

We are not near the end of the oil industry.  I believe it is in its infancy, as what has been discovered has only been pitifully produced, and there is a lot of discoveries to be made.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

But you forgot that there is then another boom.

We are not near the end of the oil industry.  I believe it is in its infancy, as what has been discovered has only been pitifully produced, and there is a lot of discoveries to be made.
I haven't forgotten, I have been through a couple of major booms up here. the cycle runs about 20 years between them. The difference is that wind will replace equipment, oil will replace reserves. Unfortunately, the skills for finding new oil seem to require rediscovery as well.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Unfortunately, the skills for finding new oil seem to require rediscovery as well.
Maybe in this country, but on a worldwide basis, Exploration has not been weakened in technical prowess, just in financial aspects has it slowed down.

Online Smokin Joe

Maybe in this country, but on a worldwide basis, Exploration has not been weakened in technical prowess, just in financial aspects has it slowed down.
I guess I didn't make my point clear.

There are two aspects to any discovery. One is in selecting where to drill, but the other is out in the field with a microscope, knowing what to look for, with an understanding of what shows mean what, and how to test them.

With 20 years between booms, knowledge of particular formations and basins will be lost due to attrition--especially when those in the field often end up doing something else, after having been bumped from the top/middle/bottom of their particular service company's pay scale, or having to find work elsewhere due to the implosion of the drilling end of the industry.

Getting laid off in the drilling end is a crapshoot. When I worked for other people, I got laid off from the top, middle, and bottom of the pay scale--capability and seniority are no guarantees of remaining employed, and can actually work against someone. So what happens?
The most experienced field hands get the axe from Company 'A' because they can put two bodies in the field for the price of one (yours). That management style may have its flaws, but there are those who think that way.

They may apply elsewhere, but they are laying people off there, too, and there are no jobs to be had.

So some of the most experienced hands end up unemployed.

Getting laid off from the bottom of the food chain is common, last in, first out.

From the middle usually occurs when a rig someone has been following for an oil company gets laid down, other hands are established with clients, and there is no place to go.

I have seen all three situations, and that doesn't include the sellout/shutdown one, where those jobs go away, period. In this last downturn, 8 out of 10 drilling rigs (from the peak) were shut down, and 8 of 10 wellsite geology or mudlogger jobs evaporated when they did. Since geology is the most region specific job out there, running off to a new basin or play isn't as simple as it is for the guy in worm's corner, whose job is much the same anywhere.
I love the field, don't get me wrong, and that isn't whining, it's just the way things work.

My advice to young geologists? If you're going into the oil industry, get an office job. You won't work an 84 hour week, you can have a 401K, you can plan a vacation, you can buy stuff and not wonder if you can get it paid for before the work runs out. You may even get credit for the reserves you find. You might get a bonus from time to time, and you'll spend a lot less time looking for work.

C S Lewis

I guess I didn't make my point clear.

There are two aspects to any discovery. One is in selecting where to drill, but the other is out in the field with a microscope, knowing what to look for, with an understanding of what shows mean what, and how to test them.

With 20 years between booms, knowledge of particular formations and basins will be lost due to attrition--especially when those in the field often end up doing something else, after having been bumped from the top/middle/bottom of their particular service company's pay scale, or having to find work elsewhere due to the implosion of the drilling end of the industry.

Getting laid off in the drilling end is a crapshoot. When I worked for other people, I got laid off from the top, middle, and bottom of the pay scale--capability and seniority are no guarantees of remaining employed, and can actually work against someone. So what happens?
The most experienced field hands get the axe from Company 'A' because they can put two bodies in the field for the price of one (yours). That management style may have its flaws, but there are those who think that way.

They may apply elsewhere, but they are laying people off there, too, and there are no jobs to be had.

So some of the most experienced hands end up unemployed.

Getting laid off from the bottom of the food chain is common, last in, first out.

From the middle usually occurs when a rig someone has been following for an oil company gets laid down, other hands are established with clients, and there is no place to go.

I have seen all three situations, and that doesn't include the sellout/shutdown one, where those jobs go away, period. In this last downturn, 8 out of 10 drilling rigs (from the peak) were shut down, and 8 of 10 wellsite geology or mudlogger jobs evaporated when they did. Since geology is the most region specific job out there, running off to a new basin or play isn't as simple as it is for the guy in worm's corner, whose job is much the same anywhere.
I love the field, don't get me wrong, and that isn't whining, it's just the way things work.

My advice to young geologists? If you're going into the oil industry, get an office job. You won't work an 84 hour week, you can have a 401K, you can plan a vacation, you can buy stuff and not wonder if you can get it paid for before the work runs out. You may even get credit for the reserves you find. You might get a bonus from time to time, and you'll spend a lot less time looking for work.
What you are describing I fully endorse for the US, which finds itself not caring for traditional exploration, but instead in exploitation of known deposits heretofore bypassed.  That of course is not the case for most of the rest of the world.

Online Smokin Joe

What you are describing I fully endorse for the US, which finds itself not caring for traditional exploration, but instead in exploitation of known deposits heretofore bypassed.  That of course is not the case for most of the rest of the world.
Only worked CONUS since '79.

C S Lewis

Only worked CONUS since '79.
Not only are the older geos fading away, but the work gets even tougher as working exploration in such a mature basin is not easy task.  Must either go after riskier or smaller targets.

Online Smokin Joe

Not only are the older geos fading away, but the work gets even tougher as working exploration in such a mature basin is not easy task.  Must either go after riskier or smaller targets.
Well, I am not limited to just one basin, though I have done most of my work in the Williston. I have worked seven different states.

C S Lewis