Author Topic: Tens of thousand bodies to be dug-up and moved from burial ground to make way for £55.7bn high speed railway  (Read 578 times)

rangerrebew

Tens of thousand bodies to be dug-up and moved from burial ground to make way for £55.7bn high speed railway

Tens of thousands of bodies will be dug-up and moved to make way to multi-billion pound railway HS2 .

A memorial service will be held on Wednesday for the 60,000 people buried near London Euston railway station whose bodies will be exhumed as part of the high-speed rail project.

Nearby residents in Camden, north London, have branded the decision "outrageous" after unsuccessfully campaigning to save the site at St James' Gardens, which was used as a burial ground from 1790 to 1853.

http://www.msn.com/en-my/news/world/tens-of-thousand-bodies-to-be-dug-up-and-moved-from-burial-ground-to-make-way-for-%c2%a3557bn-high-speed-railway/ar-AAqBr2l?li=BBr8Hnu

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They are just going to move the headstones and it's going to be Cuesta Verde all over again.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They are just going to move the headstones and it's going to be Cuesta Verde all over again.
Wait, don't they have to catch those old strains of disease first?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
200 years old.  Is there a body left?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It all depends on the soil, pH, drainage, etc. Most likely skeletal remains.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It all depends on the soil, pH, drainage, etc. Most likely skeletal remains.

The drainage and pH can do some interesting things.  See the 'Soap Lady' display at the Mütter Museum.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

From a story about the creator of the "Body Farm":
It began with a colossal mistake: Bill Bass, professor of forensic anthropology at the University of Tennessee, got a corpse's time of death wrong by more than a century.

"This was Colonel Shy," the 80-year-old recalls with a grin. "He was killed in the Battle of Nashville in 1864, during the Civil War." But when his coffin was unearthed in the 1970s, Prof Bass found a body so well preserved that there was still pink tissue on the femur.

"He was embalmed with arsenic and buried in a cast-iron coffin that did not leak," he says. "Nobody had ever looked at arsenic as an embalming agent, nor at what happens to bodies in coffins. So my experience said this had to be somebody who died within the last six months."
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn