Author Topic: Chris Christie calls Ted Cruz a liar over claim Hurricane Sandy aid went to ‘unrelated pork’ projects  (Read 5755 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

2/3 = 66.6% vs. 70% is moving goal posts?   Do you realize how badly people here laugh at you?

I think he might be taking issue with Cruz referring to non-emergency spending in an emergency spending bill as both "pork" and  "non-emergency spending".  Still worth laughing at though, if it wasn't so sad.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline goodwithagun

I think I would be worried about the a guy who only hired the skankiest hookers, I sure can't fault for seeking quality debauchery.

Who wouldn't choose this

over this?

[attachment deleted by admin]
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That Ted Cruz is a big meanie. But Obama, he really cares.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If I remember correctly, the 2/3 was the pork.  Only 1/3 was for Tropical Storm Sandy relief.
you are correct.  I misstated.  It should have been 1/3.

254 Amendments to the bill.  Unbelievable pork. Might as well call it Carolina BBQ.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Silver Pines

To hell with Christie.  It's like Dana Loesch said today---that disingenuous jerk would sell his mother to rack up political points.

Offline Hoodat

No, It’s Not Hypocritical to Want Targeted Disaster Relief

by Theodore Kupfer August 29, 2017 4:00 AM

s Hurricane Harvey moves through the Gulf Coast, a very misleading story is making the rounds: Texas senators and congressmen who, in 2013, heartlessly opposed relief for the localities rocked by Hurricane Sandy are now begging for the same. The wake of a catastrophic hurricane might seem a strange time to score political points, but various media outlets (and Republican congressman Peter King of New York) have endeavored to do just that. The story is, in their telling, a parable of Republican hypocrisy: Oppose federal funding on “principle” no matter how just the cause, and when you need money, toss your “principles” out the window and beseech the government. In this case, however, those principles are genuine and the supposed hypocrisy is anything but. Understanding what actually happened when Congress provided disaster relief for Hurricane Sandy is the first step to understanding why this isn’t the scandal some apparently think it to be. A month after Sandy hit New York and New Jersey in November 2012, the Obama administration requested $60 billion in appropriations for disaster relief. That request eventually passed in the form of the Disaster Relief Appropriations Act. Before it did, however, the Congressional Budget Office found that more than 60 percent of the funds included in the draft bill would not be spent until at least 2015. Leave it to the text of the House version of the bill, H.R. 152, to describe the funding package best: “Supplemental appropriations . . . to improve and streamline disaster assistance for Hurricane Sandy, and for other purposes.” Other purposes indeed. The bill had provisions involving fisheries in Alaska and New England, which had suffered their own disasters; upgraded Amtrak lines, which had been largely unaffected by the storm; set aside money for highway improvements throughout the entire country; and devoted funds to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to help it improve its weather forecasting. It also set aside $16 billion for a community-development fund that would send money not just to states affected by Sandy, but to any state that had declared a disaster within the previous two years — a criterion met by all but Arizona, Michigan, and South Carolina. Provisions such as these more usually go through the normal budgetary process; here, they were jammed into a bill that simply had to pass. In terms of pork-barrel spending, this is the essence of treif.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450912/hurricane-harvey-gop-non-hypocrisy

Text of the bill can be found here

Once again, Ted told the truth.  And once again, Christie is a lying POS carrying the Dems' water.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Hurricane Sandy Pork – What is in the $60.4B Sandy Relief Package?

January 2, 2013     |     Albert N. Milliron

What looks like a greatly needed bill by it’s title, turns out to be laden with Congressional pet projects and pork.  Folks made fun of those who voted against the Clean Water Act for similar reasons… I mean it IS Clean Water… who could possible be against that? Same goes for this bill, the Sandy Relief package has a few items that don’t seem to fit.

Don’t ever let  a Crisis go to waste.  I mean you have a Hurricane and people need relief, whats wrong with adding a few items for the greater good?

Here is the list

•$2 million to repair damage to the roofs of museums in Washington, D.C., while many in Hurricane Sandy’s path still have no roof over their own heads.

•$150 million for fisheries as far away from the storm’s path as Alaska.

•$125 million for the Department of Agriculture’s Emergency Watershed Protection program, which helps restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought.

•$20 million for a nationwide Water Resources Priorities Study.

•$15 million for NASA facilities, though NASA itself has called its damage from the hurricane ‘minimal.’

•$50 million in subsidies for tree planting on private properties.

•$336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent.

•$5.3 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers – more than the Corps’ annual budget – with no statement of priorities about how to spend the money.

•$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies, without identifying a single way to pay for it.

.  .  .

http://www.politisite.com/2013/01/02/hurricane-sandy-pork-what-is-in-the-60-4b-sandy-relief-package/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It's hard to hug from a wheelchair.  The hugee has to bend down really far.

Congrats, @corbe.  I mean it. You'll know what for later on in the thread.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

@Emjay You actually made me go back and reread my replies on this Thread to see if another one of my infamous apologies might be in order, I didn't see it, but to be on the safe side, ah screw it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just for the record, it was Tropical Storm Sandy when it hit.

Offline Applewood

Just for the record, it was Tropical Storm Sandy when it hit.

Yeah.  And then it was called Super Storm Sandy.  Media always has to put a cutesy name on things. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   @Emjay You actually made me go back and reread my replies on this Thread to see if another one of my infamous apologies might be in order, I didn't see it, but to be on the safe side, ah screw it.

Hahahaha.  Okay, you missed it.  And, by the way, I'm still waiting on my apology.

Offline corbe

@Emjay

Actually before the weekend is through I'll probably be apologizing to someone and I'll ping ya, I promise.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
   @Emjay

Actually before the weekend is through I'll probably be apologizing to someone and I'll ping ya, I promise.

@corbe  Promises, promises.

Anyway, this is what I meant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXpG0fqGbE

Offline corbe

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I'm keeping my mouth shut, the reason I think we may get someone as bad or worse than Christie in 18.(And Menendez)

I really wanna move.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:28:59 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Silver Pines

I'm keeping my mouth shut, the reason I think we may get someone as bad or worse than Christie in 18.(And Menendez)

I really wanna move.

@Freya

I have a good friend in NJ who still loves Christie.  Is there anyone else up there who feels the same?  I don't think she ever got past her elation over having a Republican governor.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Freya

I have a good friend in NJ who still loves Christie.  Is there anyone else up there who feels the same?  I don't think she ever got past her elation over having a Republican governor.

I learned a long time ago not to discuss politics in real life with people. So I honestly don't know. All my family are yellow dog democrats. The women's republican group I belong to loves the Lt Gov who is running but I don't think she will win because of Christie.

And Christie as a lawyer (before he was a governor) was on American Greed TV show.... not good.

Offline Rivergirl

Christie was always out of touch.   At the start of his regime NJ was hit by a blizzard that shut down the state.  He took the last plane out to vacation in Florida. He said, after all, he wasn't going to be driving a snow plow and his wife would have killed him if she had to vacation without him.   The rest of his failings are notorious........from telling a Navy Seal to sit down and shut up at a town hall meeting  CC later apologized but you can see that he is nothing more than tRump lite.  His pretend ignorance of the GWB closings was part of this spiteful jerk's M.O..............and then there was the beach pic when the state was shut down.  The only reason he was elected in the first place was because he was running against Corzine.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Rivergirl

We could sure pick em!

McGreevey, Corzime...Christie.....

22222frying pan

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Christie was always out of touch.   At the start of his regime NJ was hit by a blizzard that shut down the state.  He took the last plane out to vacation in Florida. He said, after all, he wasn't going to be driving a snow plow and his wife would have killed him if she had to vacation without him.   The rest of his failings are notorious........from telling a Navy Seal to sit down and shut up at a town hall meeting  CC later apologized but you can see that he is nothing more than tRump lite.  His pretend ignorance of the GWB closings was part of this spiteful jerk's M.O..............and then there was the beach pic when the state was shut down.  The only reason he was elected in the first place was because he was running against Corzine.

Chris Christie is just one more in a long line of political Justin Beibers "conservatives" have thrown their panties at only to want them back later. The worst part was because they loved him for no other reason than the fact that he's an obnoxious jerk who told constituents to sit down and shut up if they confronted him.

Seems that "conservative" ideals can be boiled down to getting liberal panties in a wad and conservative panties on the floor.

Until that changes I'm calling myself a federalist.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Chris Christie is just one more in a long line of political Justin Beibers "conservatives" have thrown their panties at only to want them back later. The worst part was because they loved him for no other reason than the fact that he's an obnoxious jerk who told constituents to sit down and shut up if they confronted him.

Seems that "conservative" ideals can be boiled down to getting liberal panties in a wad and conservative panties on the floor.

Until that changes I'm calling myself a federalist.

Good morning @Cripplecreek

I like that word, Federalist.

I hope you and your sweet dog have a wonderful day, you just made mine.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
CC started out good but man... he didn't end up that way.

Offline dfwgator

A guy from New Jersey, home of the Giants, who flies to down to Dallas to hang out with Jerry Jones and root for the Cowboys......SMH.

Offline Applewood

CC started out good but man... he didn't end up that way.

He has been the south end of a horse facing north for so long, I really don't remember.