Author Topic: ABC News reporter covering Hurricane Harvey gets slammed online after reporting alleged looters to police  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I imagine the problem was that it wasn't NeoNazis doing the looting.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I imagine the problem was that it wasn't NeoNazis doing the looting.
LOL! Antifa are the Communist counterpart to the Nazis, reinvented for a generation that doesn't know enough history to avoid repeating it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

I am always of two minds about looting during natural disasters. 

On the one hand theft is wrong, and stealing from persons absent who are suffering from a disaster is, moreover,  low and cowardly in a way that, for instance, armed robbery or even embezzlement is not.

On the other hand, if the inventory taken was about to be destroyed or (declared a total loss by an insurer, even if not destroyed), whether directly by flood waters, or indirectly through lack of refrigeration, the owner is no worse off if it is, instead, taken by someone who can use it.  I think one can make a case that our Founding Fathers might have recognized as valid, on the basis of Lockean property theory, that the appropriation of goods which have been rendered useless to their owner is not, in fact, theft, but appropriation from common.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I am always of two minds about looting during natural disasters. 

On the one hand theft is wrong, and stealing from persons absent who are suffering from a disaster is, moreover,  low and cowardly in a way that, for instance, armed robbery or even embezzlement is not.

On the other hand, if the inventory taken was about to be destroyed or (declared a total loss by an insurer, even if not destroyed), whether directly by flood waters, or indirectly through lack of refrigeration, the owner is no worse off if it is, instead, taken by someone who can use it.  I think one can make a case that our Founding Fathers might have recognized as valid, on the basis of Lockean property theory, that the appropriation of goods which have been rendered useless to their owner is not, in fact, theft, but appropriation from common.
I would draw a distinction between foraging for food and looting (stealing things which have little or no survival value).
Keep in mind, too, that floodwaters are often loaded with fecal matter and other nasty things which promote disease, and I'd go so far as to look the other way if someone had a bottle of bleach and a pot to boil water in.

Someone coming out of a grocery store with canned goods is one thing, someone climbing out of a jewelers' shop with a sack of bling is another. I also fail to see where a 55 inch TV is an essential item for survival, especially when the power is out.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:58:39 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I would draw a distinction between foraging for food and looting (stealing things which have little or no survival value).
@Smokin Joe
As would I. I should have made that more clear earlier.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
ABC reporter Tom Llamas slammed as a snitch for calling police on Houston ‘looters’

Shawn Langlois
MarketWatch
August 30, 2017

Tom Llamas is not the hero Houston needs right now, according to how some of his dispatches were received on Tuesday morning.

The ABC News reporter, using the #BREAKING hashtag, told his followers that he saw “looting” taking place at a supermarket in the northeast part of the city, an area grappling with catastrophic floods and supply shortages.

And that there was a dead body nearby. In that order.

He was immediately met with a heavy dose of internet WTF:
More