Author Topic: 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules against Planned Parenthood  (Read 726 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules against Planned Parenthood
Washington Times, Aug 27, 2017, Alex Swoyer

Planned Parenthood had been on a legal winning streak, piling up decisions from judges who have ruled that states can’t stop the country’s largest abortion clinic network from receiving federal grant money.

But they suffered a major setback last week when a federal appeals court ruled that Arkansas can kick Planned Parenthood out of its network of Medicaid-approved health providers.

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Medicaid recipients are entitled to care, but cannot dictate to the states where they get that care — meaning Planned Parenthood customers can’t protest the removal of the network from Arkansas’s list of approved clinics.

“The plaintiffs are asserting a right — the absolute right to a particular provider of their choosing — that [the law] does not grant them,” Judge Steven Colloton wrote in the majority opinion.

Planned Parenthood can still protest its removal through the regular administrative process, but its customers can’t force it to be added back into the mix of medical services providers, the court said in the 2-1 ruling.

That’s at odds with rulings in a number of other appeals courts, which said the Medicaid Act prohibits states from cutting out providers without giving sufficient cause.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/27/8th-us-circuit-court-of-appeals-rules-against-plan/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules against Planned Parenthood
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:21:11 am »
What other providers are in Arkansas? Is this just a shift to another provider, or a real restriction in medicaid funded services. Cutting out PP is a good deal, but where does the market go after that, or does this shut it down?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:08:36 pm »
What other providers are in Arkansas? Is this just a shift to another provider, or a real restriction in medicaid funded services. Cutting out PP is a good deal, but where does the market go after that, or does this shut it down?

I supposed the "market" gives birth to a baby and decides to either raise the human being, or let the the human being be adopted by someone who wants to raise the human being.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:12:36 pm »
I supposed the "market" gives birth to a baby and decides to either raise the human being, or let the the human being be adopted by someone who wants to raise the human being.
My question was one of if there are other abortion providers in the State, and whether this amounts to a shift of the revenue, or a real reduction in abortions. Interesting to see this in Bill Clinton's former state, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »
My question was one of if there are other abortion providers in the State, and whether this amounts to a shift of the revenue, or a real reduction in abortions. Interesting to see this in Bill Clinton's former state, too.

I understood what you were getting at. I just wanted to make note that what we are talking about is killing the unborn. I don't believe that tax dollars should be taken from people who don't support abortion and then used for it so if there is no one else in the state ready to provide abortions to the market I'm smiling. Let the pro-abortion fanatics setup a go fund me page and see how that works.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:08:32 pm »
I understood what you were getting at. I just wanted to make note that what we are talking about is killing the unborn. I don't believe that tax dollars should be taken from people who don't support abortion and then used for it so if there is no one else in the state ready to provide abortions to the market I'm smiling. Let the pro-abortion fanatics setup a go fund me page and see how that works.
I fully agree tax dollars should not support abortion. I was just curious if the money went to some other murder for hire venture, or if the slaughter was actually going to be a little bit de-funded. If the latter, that is cause for celebration, if the former, the question is one of who is going to benefit.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:05:28 pm »
I fully agree tax dollars should not support abortion. I was just curious if the money went to some other murder for hire venture, or if the slaughter was actually going to be a little bit de-funded. If the latter, that is cause for celebration, if the former, the question is one of who is going to benefit.

It's a great question. I'm not awarre of any other national clilnic group that does abortions and is funded by the State and Federal govts.

I'm sure there are hospitals that do abortions.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »
It's a great question. I'm not awarre of any other national clilnic group that does abortions and is funded by the State and Federal govts.

I'm sure there are hospitals that do abortions.
To get to the nitty-gritty, if there are, does the money benefit anyone tied in with the ruling or the legislation? Bubba learned backroom politics in Arkansas, and I'm sure someone there is carrying on the art.

I'd hate for that to be the case, that defunding PP just put the money in another pocket while making it look like it was a pro-life move, but I am cynical enough that I have to ask. (Sad, isn't it?) I'd much rather it be a clean refutation of the culture of death.

C S Lewis